Is there a stereo input USB C ‘dongle’ yet, or anything really small?

i also would like a similar thing, i suppose it would have to be a tiny audio interface. theres one by thomann, the t.bone USB 1G, but its USB-A unfortunately and mono (havent tried it)
i have a small stereo iRig now for recording on the go, but its def. bigger than just a small dongle, that would be amazing…

Not sure it works well with line level signals, since it’s meant for mics… preamps might colour the sound. Can anyone confirm?

I think the Mac headphone socket does still have an input in it as you can connect wired headphones with a mic (like you’d use with a phone in the pre-Bluetooth days). It’s just integrated into one jack with three, rather than two, connections along the plug. You can get mic/headphone splitters which might work - not sure of the quality but they’re only cheap so worth a try.

Big problem - it’s not stereo

I always wondered if this would work, as I suspect it’s a class-compliant ADC.

EDIT: It has now been confirmed to work at up to 16-bit 96 kHz.

1 Like

There are a couple of threads here that suggest it works.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, but not an issue for a mono synth. They’ve always been mono inputs on macs I think even when separate? I could be wrong though.

Yes, the Rode AI-micro works well for stereo line in. The input 1 supports stereo trs. You just need to use the app to tell it what type of input to expect and to set the gain to minimum then you’re good to go. I think it’s an awesome solution, especially for recording videos on a phone with high quality stereo line in audio.
My only criticism is not having a physical level/clipping indicator, but that’s no biggie once you get used to what it can handle. I’ve found that somewhere around 50% volume on the output of whatever synth or device I’m recording is about the right level.

6 Likes

The current MacBook 3.5mm jacks are TRRS, and can do mono input and stereo out simultaneously. You can test it by using an old wired pair of iPhone earbuds with the inline mic.

I use a little box from DigDugDIY that has jacks for headphones and a line in (with gain control), plus a TRRS for connecting to the Mac/iPad/ OP-Z (it was originally designed for the OP-Z).

There are a bunch of cheap cables that do the same thing. They look like regular y-splitter adapters. Great for mono inputs.

5 Likes

Interesting, so for line level does that just mean being a bit careful with the level? Or is there a mic preamp in there that colours the sound? Not a major issue, I don’t think I’d be sampling from it.

1 Like

I got an interface off amazon that works OK. I use it with my iPad. But I am thinking about getting one of the Zoom Essential line they released recently that has 32 bit float audio and you don’t have to worry about clipping.
If the rode one works its probably a good option. I wasn’t sure so I didn’t want to spend money on it and ended up with this https://amzn.to/3URvV8I. Oh and I forgot, I think this one doesn’t work unless headphones are plugged in so thats a gotcha. I guess you might be able to just plug an adapter in but I haven’t tested that.

Other option is to just use a Digitakt or SP404mk2, but it won’t save you much space. hah

No preamp. It was meant as a way to hook up ins and outs to the OP-Z before the Line Module existed, but it’s great for the Mac and iPad too.

Apple makes a UasB-C to 3.5 stereo jack dongle that’s too notch sound quality. It’s a fairly common product.

Just daisy chain whatever else adapter you need onto that.

Though, like the built-in headphone port, that’s still only single-channel (the second ring of a TRRS connector).

These are the smallest ones I know:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduoio/

2 Likes

The Rode AI Micro is a good cheap option for this. Just take it easy with synth levels and you’ll be fine.

If you don’t absolutely need the smallest and lightest option out there you can definitely get something more substantial that will handle hotter levels, but the Micro is the smallest thing that will give you a stereo in and a headphone out.

Because it is so small and light it almost feels like it’s part of the headphone cable, so if you’re like me and can’t stand dealing with cable jank for a quick jam it goes good.

2 Likes

Thank you all, looks like the Røde AI-Micro is the best option then. Cheers!

2 Likes

@Gunark @Scyphozoa
It worked! This is probably the smallest audio input USB dongle. :grinning:

It has stereo input!

11 Likes

I’m searching too the smallest interface to my PC laptop. I don’t need any ins, only a soundcard.

If you have USB C then the Apple USB C to Mini Jack is excellent and easy to find.

1 Like