iPhone for recording: how about quality?

you can record Audio into the Camera App.

Iam doing this for a few years now, once the IOS device detected a USB Interface it‘ll be used for all or nearly most application.

Yes, I mean record audio+video (for live jams).
Using an iPhone is very simple and easy and the “post-production” job is very minimal.

Right now I found this app: ‎Dolby On: Record Audio & Video on the App Store that should record high quality audio.

The other option is to use the phone just for the video and a software (Ableton) for the audio, the using a video editor to mix the two sources. But if I find a valid app for recording would be better.

thx

Hi @emadb I do the same, plug USB cable from Digitakt to iPhone and use the class complaint audio out from DK as “Microphone” direct input to the camera. So simple, no need to sync up audio with video later. Anyway, i’ve copied the video file to Mac and opened with VLC and got the codec/audio info, you can see in the screen shot below. Good news, it 44100Hz and 32bit.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Did you used the default camera app?

I used high efficiency setting. But with 1080p, not 4K. I don’t see a ‘default’ setting.

EDIT - sorry, just reread your question, yes default canera app :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys, I’ve searched tirelessly about this topic trying to find a solution to the quiet levels when recording video and audio directly into my iphone.
Does anybody know a good video app that has a decent gain adjustment?

I used to use the camera app to record audio and video over USB from my Syntakt straight into my phone too, but I started running into problems recently with the audio levels and the like. Sometimes it just wouldn’t work.

This year I got a zoom H2n to use as either an interface or standalone recorder and now just let that sit and record on its line in separately while the video is recording from my phone.

I then use the H2n with USB as an external storage and transfer the wav files into the phone and stitch them in the video later in iMovie, sometimes processing the raw video with other apps for effects before syncing the nice audio from the recorder on top.

Syncing is not too hard either either thanks to the audio coming out of my little speakers on my desk being recorded into the phone video. Or if I’m using headphones, I can just listen for a big click of the play button on the Syntakt.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

I was hoping to record audio and video into my iphone simultaneously to save time though.

I do this all the time for both synth jaming and recording digital piano etc.

From DN/DT and Syntakr I find the levels of the audio to be good for posting on YouTube, instagram etc but from the new Analog Heat +FX it’s to low so on would also like to find a good way to set the gain of the audio higher.

So far I have used the app “InShot” that has a very fast and easy way to higher the gain but you can’t raise the levels high enough in that app so I would need a better one.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I think iMovie has a similar amount you can boost it by, it helps but I need a bit more. Hopefully there’s an app out there that goes to 11.

Yeah that’s true… I just find InShot to be easer app to use and you can do a lot more there to if you need to be creative :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But I just tested this now and comparing both videos iMovie is definitely better and gives higher gain vs InShot.

1 Like

I record with just my phone a lot of the time. That low output I only seem to get if I’m pushing the output too much, almost like the phone throttles it back if your red lining it too much - either that or I’m imagining it.

1 Like

Can you use the same method to record hi fi audio directly into garageband?

I picked up a Rode AI-Micro based on Stone262’s recommendation in this thread…

Although it’s for mic level, all you need to do is reduce the in-gain level and it works perfectly for line level signals, so you shouldn’t have any issues with your gain. It also works in the Apple camera video app, and Rode’s own apps (which are perfect for video and audio recs), and I presume any other video app on the Apple phone. For £60 you can’t go wrong, and you don’t need the Apple camera connector either. I just just use the line level out from my mixer/device rather than USB.

2 Likes

Yeah I do that on the couch…finds it as external audio then turn on the monitor in GarageBand.

2 Likes

That looks sweet. Had no idea. Thanks for the info!

Do you know if it’s possible to sync midi at the same time? For example transport and clock when recording audio

1 Like

Uuoff err no idea! Can’t say I’ve thought to try. I just use it as recording sketch pad when I can’t or too lazy to turn on the studio. I used just record straight into the standard voice memos app then found worked in GB.

1 Like

Got it! Yeah not even sure if it would be worth the hassle. Either way I’m amazed that you can record jams directly over usb into the phone!

Amazing! This might be just what I’m after to make quick video jams. Cheers!

Hey no problem - thanks to Stone262 on this one. It really is a quality piece of kit for the price, and it’s absolutely tiny.

1 Like