Your Favorite Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz Hardware FX etc. For Kick Drums

Aarh, that sounds good. And cool that it’s a Neve preamp. May try one of those.

Edit:
Aarh discontinued and of course hard to get 2nd hand.
But the Wessex also sounds quite good.

…u sound like a truu fuzzy hot tubes distortion fetish…

I don’t know hehe, when I hear actual fuzz pedals I often dislike how they sound. The peaks they make sounds a bit like needles. But on some sources that are more sustained (so not kick drums) they may sometimes sound good. To me the Hot Tubes and Overlord sounds more juicy and thick.The peaks are more pleasing to my ears. But I am kean on trying out some fuzz :wink: Though I don’t really like Hot Tubes on most kick, and I didn’t expect it to before buying it. On some other sounds it sounds great. I need a more regular but still thick and juicy sounding overdrive. Something that rips the sound a bit less haha

You don’t happen to have a demo of this delicious juiciness, do you? :blush:

Dang, that sounds nice! I knew the Monotron Delay could be used for distortion, but never tried with kick drums. Gotta try that tomorrows.

1 Like

For me it is all in experimentation. Rarely does same setup work on different signals. For Stereo I lean on OTO Biscuit, can do subtle with filter and destroy the signal. In mono Frostwave Resonator (MS20 filter) brings a load of dirt. I have a pile of fuzz and dirt pedals which are worth a try. Rats and Harmonic Perculators work well. Mixer feedback loops are also worth a shot, …

2 Likes

Not the AK, but here’s using a pair of Harlows in a 2 buss application.

Can certainly hear what it’s doing to the kick.

3 Likes

Yeah that actually sounds great. Now I want one hehe.

Bogner Harlow boost pedal, eh? These going for 235€ around here, so a pair would cost 470€… How does this compare to the heat tho? The price is almost the same as a used mk I

This is intriguing me eventhough I already have a heat, pultec clone and a 1073 clone… if it gives a new flavour, that is.

I would say not for kicks. Although they are great sounding boards.

The little rotary BOSS mixers sound better for drums (and certainly kicks) imho.

And there’s the crux. Distortion / overdrive can muddy and drain low end frequencies. IMO, when laying down a track, best to layer / mix distorted signal from kicks with original, leaving only the frequencies that “matter” in the driven signal.

On this track, x3 mono channels x 1 stereo channel from Tanzmaus + cue out from OT going into a Boss BX8 (then hw compressor). The preamp on the kick is around 3 o’clock. Bass line is from a Bass Station 2 going into an Empress Multidrive - it comes in way too overdriven (forgot to readjust from previous track in set) before I turn the overdrive down. Bass, synths and fx returns go into second boss mixer!

The Multidrive is not cheap, but it’s basically three fx in one: distortion, overdrive and fuzz, each can be assigned to low end, mid, or high, plus there’s a tone control/eq. Very flexible, well built, and it think it sounds v good.

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m planning on getting a couple of EHX Tri Parallel Mixers. One for kicks and Another for other fx on a sound (similarly to what I would do in Ableton Live).

Your track sounds nice. The saturation is not to obvious.

1 Like

If you’ve already got a desk with a free input, maybe a signal splitter would be enough for the kick? Since EHX a foremostly designed for guitars, i’d want to check the fidelity of the low end before buying specifically for kicks.

Thanks!

This thing sounds insane.

that sustained sound before was my baritone guitar ^^

1 Like

Well it’s transformer saturation so somewhat different.
It also has a built in one knob compressor that does interesting things at small settings

Ha! Exactly! Boss BX-8 is a boss for this!

1 Like

Naarh I Don’t have much space left on the mixer. I suddenly realised that I wanted to use some of the channels for fx instead of the return channels that I’ll use for something else I have in mind.
I’ll just try out the Tri Mixer. It’s not that expensive and I’ll get one for other fx stuff anyways :wink:
I just ordered a T-rex Diva Drive. It has a mix knob. I know it’s not exactly the same actual parallel processing, but it might still be helpfull. The EHX Overlord that I’m also getting in future has a dedicated dry knob, so shouldn’t really get that problematic for me. The Hot Tubes is actually surprisingly good at retaining the low end, because of its ‘bypass tone knob’ function. But it can also be too much, because like compression it accentuates the signal. Like with so many other overdrive pedals it has a tendency to dull the high frequencies. But that’s no problem. I’ll just use the eq after to get it back if I want it. Though in the daw I would do it before distortion. But I’m also planning on getting an eq pedal for that purpose.
When I was recording the signal fully loud without clipping into Ableton, it just sounded too much in the low end I felt like taking some away, so when listening after in much lower volume it maybe sounds like I could’ve left in slightly more, but doesn’t matter much, because usually I would use a subby bass, and I need that balance og course :wink:
Overlord also has seperate tone knobs for bass, mid and treble, so that’s cool.

1 Like

I was really interested in Tri Parallel mixer, but the reviews of reliability have not been good. Could be a nonissue but worth reading up on

Does anyone have any experience with the Brothers pedal from Chase Bliss? https://www.chaseblissaudio.com/shop-pedals/brothers

Demos sound great and the CV control is a nice touch. There seem to be very few distortion pedals with midi/CV control.

1 Like

That may be so, I haven’t used those Boss mixers, but those seem really rare now. I was able to find a CR1604 in mint condition for 100$ locally.