Slice (unwanted) "tremolo" effect

Hi, (new to the OT…)

When I slice a sound I get some sort of tremolo effet on it, and I can’t figure out how to get rid of it. To simplify things: I load a sustained chord sample in a flex machine, slice it and set up linear trigs. When playing back without furtjer mangling (no FLO’s, no FX’s, track 8 is no master) I expected not to hear the transitions between slices but they produce quite a pronounced tremolo-like effect. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what I am doing wrong but I give up and ask for help!! It’s not so obvious on rytmic samples like a drum loop ut very obvious on a sustained chords or otherwise continious sound like drones and so on

Thanks many
Dirk

No Scene active? Maybe any overrides LFOs and FXs settings.
Maybe Attack and Release time on AMP page (or other AMP settings)?
Maybe p-locks you have live recorded by accident?
Maybe…

Mute/clear scenes. Reset parameters pages. Check p-locks. Start new Project to test.

I think I checked everything but to be sure I followed your advice and initiated a new project, but that doesn’t make any difference at all. (note: I also tried the non-zero-crossing option to no avail)

Hey!

It sounds like your slices are shorter than the steps in your grid.

How long is the said chord sample, does it fill the bars in your pattern, when played normally?

Two solutions come to my mind:

1. Activate time stretching for your flex machine, so the slices are stretched to the correct step length of your pattern and current tempo.

2. Increase the slice playback length (LEN) in the playback page of your flex machine, so the audible gaps will disappear (but, depending on your sample, this might result in crackles or pops from discontinuity of the waveform.

Can you make a short recording of the problem? Maybe it’s something different than we have in mind.

Best regards and good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your concern, I appreciate it! Here I uploaded a small file of a sine wave (actually the default Digitone sound) that was sliced in the OT

I had set RLEN to 16, I set a record trigger and set Qrec and QPL to PLEN so that the recorded sample should be exactly the lenght of the 16 step pattern (BPM 112)

Then I created 16 slices and create linear trigs in the slice menu. I checked and the correct slices are assigned to the trigs.
Its a new test project with its default settngs. The file loops once. Beware, not a nice sound, for test purpose, keep the volume down, I recorded low because I wouldn’t want you to be surprised by a 0dBFS choppy sine wave!

Sounds like your start and end points are different, not a perfect loop or the loop points are off.

Interesting!

This doesn’t sound like silent gaps to me, more like retriggering the sample from the same starting point over and over.

Since you said you made a new project and used the default settings, can you check in Playback Setup, if you are in Slice mode?

I sliced 16step long sine wave to test.

Now I have the same result as you :grin:
Nothing I can explain in the moment.

1 Like

Thete doesnt need to be silence. But on a graph id yer wave (sine) started at +/-0 and finished at -0.1 youll get what sounds like clipping

Yes you’re right. I was just invalidating my “slice too short”-theory.

I heard clics, not tremolo. Seems normal OT behavior if your slices don’t correspond to zero crossing. Atk = 1 can reduces clics. What do you expect slicing sines or drones?

I sliced a 256 hz sine corresponding to 120 bpm, so that I have only zero crossings. No clics.

2 Likes

I agree that clicks would be normal, but what OP posted sounded (at least to my ears) far worse than just missing zero crossings.

Since this made me curious, I just experimented with a long sine sample myself, and my clicks were much quieter (even if I didn’t create slices with zero crossings) than what OP posted.

1 Like

I made another test with slices on, default parameters, same tempo as original sample, a guitar chord, no clics. So I was wrong, zero crossing is not absolutely necessary. If I change tempo > clics. (timestrech on or off).

1 Like

Other tests, weird that it seems possible to have no clics on an sample, and not with a recording. You can eliminate clics with Amp Atk = 1. But it depends on audio material.
Less clics with start points instead of slices apparently.
Hard to make a theory, now I’m used to clics with OT anyway ! :tongue:
I set ATK = 1 most of the time for realtime recording / playing. Same tempo ! Timestretch off.
@Open_Mike ?

Asking your first OT related question a short while ago and now this? What’s happening here? Bugs revealing the Matrix™? :wink:

2 Likes

First of all I’d hold down some trigs and make sure the linear slice plocks were indeed created and that slic is turned on in flex setup…

If still clicking I’d try setting len to slic in setup and then increasing len past one.

If still clicking I’d try my general starting point amp settings for slices of atk:1 hold:2.000 rel:45.

If none of this works I’d go back to the drawing board step by step and make sure everything is being done correctly, also try some different audio material and see if it differs…

2 Likes

Which question? Wasn’t it about XOX Heart?
Ok so the theory is : That depends…:smile:

2 Likes

Sezare knows all… (another Elektronaut TV show title :thinking:)
He actually is an OT that became sentient, you could say artificial but either way intelligent… He did get one upgrade where his USB port can connect to the net.
I think he/she/it/OT is just trying to stay undercover… :wink: :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh, sorry, you are right. I remembered that wrong. We are safe. No breach of the Matrix ™ .

1 Like

Hi, back in the “music office”. Yes I checked all of that to no avail. I would have made a video of what I do but I don’t have any easy to set-up video gear neither do I have any editing software, I am also a photographer so I have bulky cameras that record in 4k and you get terabytes of footage , besides I don’t even have a Youtube account so it would take days before I get something up and running (never been interested in video, really).

I did my testing again this morning, and no, I just can’t solve this. I am quite a tech-guy, 40 years of experience, I started with machines and synths in the early eighties on Commodore 64 using the very first midi interface ever produced which was for Dave Smith Sequential Circuits, I do VST coding as well, so I’m quite used to debugging stuff and quite familiar with the logic behind computer-driven musical instruments, just to say I’m not a complete noob… Just puzzled here.