Slice (unwanted) "tremolo" effect

Hey, sorry to hear that it’s still unsolved.

Could you provide the OT project as a zip file maybe?

1 Like

What ill do when every option is exhausted is…just create a new project attempt the same thing (just the issue) and see if it werks or not.

I find in some projects ive done something ive forgotten about or cant find and get sucked into the, since i cant find the error its a bug, mode.

But since ive discovered i fuck up a lot, rather than dig around forever, ill just try to recreate the issue in a new project.

Worth a go?

(Oops responded to wrong person :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I’m afraid he already did this:

Damn.

Could you upload you scw…i havent had that issue unless i was using a junk cycle.
Perhaps we can give it a go on our boxes?

Stick it in Au or some editor, cycle it and see if perhaps the cycle is off? Zoom in, check it visually (If you havent tried that already too)

2 Likes

Full day of work but found the time to figure out a rudimentary video set-up, download and learn some of the basics of a video editor, so FWIW here’s a short clip of what I’m doing. Sorry for my bad English, I’m better at French actually and maybe I should prepare the shoot’s to avoid insignificant mumbling :wink:

Please tell me if I’m doing something wrong!

1 Like

Bon anglais quand même ! :wink:
I wouldn’t use zero crossing option in that case, because you’re not sure slices length match steps length > clicks.

If it’s still clicking, try AMP ATK = 1.

(Blinking trigs means plocked parameters (Start))

2 Likes

Ya thats not gonna werk that way.

What are you after? Why not make a single cycle wave of your sine?

1 Like

@sezare56 said it well; I think the clicks you hear come from the end of each slice getting cut off by the next one, perhaps? The sine wave period length probably doesn’t divide equally into 120bpm, so slicing to zero crossings will make them just too long (or short?) and so the slices will get cut off unevenly.

Can you post a recording of the same technique with your original idea (the chord)? Doesn’t have to be a video.

I’m guessing as sezare said, turning off zero crossings may actually help here…

I think he was using the sine wave only to demonstrate what happens. In the first post he talks about the first attempt using a sustained chord.

Gotcha…

Of course that was the point. If I would have sliced up a drumloop it would be very hard to convince people what I’m talking about. Yes, I’m into live looping and when I loop a guitar and have the recording played back on a a track I have prepared with slices so I can start mangling those slices, I expect to start with a seamless playback on that track and then graudually decontruct it. So I would appreciate not having this artefact to start with.

I have mentioned it before, btw: zero-crossings or equal slices: the choice doesn’t matter at all. Nor does the ATK=1 setting for the amp envelope. I will export the result in a Ae and thake a look at the waveform. I will provide a sample of a guitar chord or whatever else: it’ll sound choppy, that’s why I started investigating in the first place. I’m pretty sure this is a user error, bur for the life of me I can’t find it… (BTW that video wan’t necessary but I wanted to learn how to set up a basic video workflow anyway and I got bored repeating the same thing over and over again so doing a video of it added some spice to the process!)

Why would you want to slice sustain? You can trim with ENV.

I don’t bloody know, I’m not the one trying to do it! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I am not going to discuss “why or why not” questions here, sorry. The example’s I have posted are for demonstration purposes only. To make a long story short: I’m learning this machine in order to get predictable results so I can rely on my skills in a live situation. So if I encounter something inexplicable, I try to figure out if I made a user mistake, a workflow error, or if this is a limitation of the device. And sometimes, I stumble upon a bug but in this particular case I’m too new to this device to start yelling “BUG!!”.

If I’m concerned about this, that’s because I am designing a workflow (which includes lots of other gear too) and this issue halted me at this point. So either this is a user error (hopefully) or a gear limitation (less cool, but if I engaged in a dead end street I’ll change my workflow design). The “why would you want to do this” question is not very relevant because it’s just a tiny piece of the puzzle that is affected. Hope you get the point… :wink: Anyway, I appreciate all the input, I’m having a blast since I came here, thanks to everyone!

5 Likes

I think I’m a step further. I found that if I save the recorded file first, and then slice, I don’t have the issue anymore, unless I start tweaking the pitch or the rate of either a slice or the whole track.

Here’s one more quick video of this.

2 Likes

Good idea! I was surprised to have clicks on the recording and not with a saved sample.
But that wouldn’t help much for realtime…

Will check your video later.

1 Like

I checked. I get you didn’t use zero crossing.
As you said, clicks are normal if you change pitch, hence slice length. You have to set AMP settings to taste.
Ex : Atk =1 / Hold (min) / Rel < 126

Have to check difference between saved samples and not saved.

Ok, so I went a bit further yet and came to the conclusion that 1: I probably made a mistake in my previous video because I can’t reproduce it and 2: I believe it’s technically impossible to achieve seamless transitions with stereo samples. I opened a “clicking” recording in a AE and the first thing I noticed was that the R an L channels are not perfectly in sync, the right channel is ahead of the left one by 24 samples. This means that zero crossings on stereo samples just won’t work: the chance to find a zero crossing exactly at the same time on both channels is almost zero. And I find there are 36 samples of silence at the end of each slice @120 bpm (the bpm the sample was recorded with) so basically this is a dead end street and I guess I’ll have to let go and move on…!

EDIT I said I couldn’t reproduce it but I definitely can.

I’ve tried it and @pinup57 is right. I’ve loaded my test sample into a Recorder and it clicks, if i play it from a Flex it sounds perfect. Here is my test file sine.wav. It was created with Audacity to have a “clean” sine. If you would like to give it a try, load the file into a Flex and a Recorder, create a Slice Grid with 16 Slices with no! zero-crosses and then create the Linear Locks. Played at 120 BPM from the Flex, it sounds perfect and if you add a bit of Amp Attack, it starts clicking. Played from the Recorder, it will click right from the start. For me, personally, it is no big deal…but it is true. :okej:

2 Likes

Oh, thanks, I was starting to believe I went nuts… :wink:

You don’t. :wink: But i have no solution for this, sorry.