Should I sell this thing?

I guess I just mean in general practice. When were people’s DT’s full? Two weeks? A month? 3 months?

Hmm, I wonder if this would work:
Record all the MIDI data of live knob tweaks etc to a DAW, then replay it for each track recorded individually…?

Could work with just CC data but maybe even for note data as well?

What is general practise? It completely depends on your usage. Some sample short passages (single notes), others use single cycle waveforms, others try to use it as recorder. Some use it 10 hours a day with much sampling, others use it 1 hour a week sampling nothing. Some try to keep everything they sample, others delete everything after the track is complete. I don’t see any general practise here.

You have around 100 minutes sample time available. That’s the only fact.

3 Likes

According to elektron the factory content doesn’t eat up any of the 1gb of the +drive. Recording memory is also always available even if the +drive is full.

2 Likes

What, years is a long time for you? I just waited around 5 years for Akai to deliver my ”dream MPC” which is still a WIP and a good year or two from being ”done”. You need longevity in this Game Of Boxes…

2 Likes

I don’t understand how this can be the case. Unless there’s a second drive/partition/memory store, which logically must run out at some point…?

Maybe the +Drive is 1.1GB, and just advertised as 1GB.

The factory content probably isn’t very big. And 1GB is a fair amount of time’s worth of mono samples.

The most awkward part for me is not knowing which samples I’ve used and which I haven’t, but I’m not running out of space so it’s not a big deal yet. I guess at this rate the Librarian will be released before I run out :slight_smile:

The DT is super loveable just as it is :smiley: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

If Elektron actually said “the Digitakt currently has OB”, that’s messed up. But if they said “coming soon” & the person buying it didn’t do research that’s their bad. Buying something based on a promise? Hopefully learn a lesson from it. I thought when it came out it said OB enabled & it will be working soon. But correct me if I’m wrong.

I completely understand wanting to use the tools you have, well, tools you’re SUPPOSED to have, so I get it’s frustrating. & I understand if you like to play your beats live & want to master the individual tracks after. But if you love it, keep it. Maybe do some experimenting, I think that’s one of the best things about making music. Try recording 1 track at a time, see if it’s worth it to you. Shake things up & try something new.
Or, like I said previously, since you play your beats live anyways, just record the master out of these beats, the before OB beats. You’ll always make new beats, in 2 years you won’t even care about the beats you made these past 6 months. & if you do, listen to your before OB beat tape :o)

I’m not sure how this is accomplished. I take it ram and storage are quite compartmentalized. Unless it’s changed factory samples can’t be deleted so I’m assuming that elektron didn’t want the factory content to take up what is already a small storage amount.

There’s a thread about deleting factory content floating around in which someone from elektron explained that the factory samples don’t eat up +drive space. And that recording ram is always available as long and nothing is currently sitting there.

1 Like

I was more referring to:

Recording memory is also always available even if the +drive is full.

Ah I’m guessing there is ram or a recording buffer set aside specifically for recording. Then stuff gets bumped over to the drive when it gets saved.

1 Like

It’s kind of more in between, in a grey area. Like, the super fine print of a credit card offer, the “gotcha” that isn’t made super obvious, and is instead hyped up in a positive way in the big print on the front page (or in this case, on the outside of the box, or on the website). Also the “coming soon” has been linked to very specific dates which have failed multiple times now. So I don’t believe it’s “the buyer’s fault” in this case. Sure, people who did no research could falsely believed OB was an active part of the product at purchase and that would partly be their own fault, but even those who did their research and knew it wasn’t available yet, would have been very easily led to believe it was worth buying with the intention of using OB “soon” because it has been presented as “almost ready” and “coming VERY soon”, again even with specific dates attached.

1 Like

I though it was a good suggestion to be honest. So many reasons not to make music when we have ridiculous gear at hand. Recording to stereo mix is the best way to learn all them fancy moves we lap up on YT!

1 Like

The only issue would be if you utilized cntrl all, which I believe is a local only function

I give up… I wasn’t saying it was a bad idea :expressionless:
There is a real language barrier here, I won’t engage in non gear/tech conversations in future because it is so easy to misconstrue what is being said

Add official resellers to the list, here in Aus some shops did not know it didn’t come with OB.
Elektron should be making it clear to their resellers that OB is not available

4 Likes

Just put it aside till everything is available to/in the DT.
You’ve invested time in it, worth more than what you’ll get back in cash.
Your time over the months is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful argument.

Not to mention- the bliss that is working with this device will be missed when OB DOES drop- you might end up losing money rebuying the machine

Hmm… I’ll just throw out that I have OB on AR mk1 and it also has individual outs, but I always just record the stereo pair, through the Octatrack even… It’s not the highest level of fidelity, but I think it’ll be just fine for some demo tracks and even for a first album as long as the music is actually good enough…

I just throw out my perspectives, I’m super neutral but at the same time have an opinion on everything. :smile: I have absolutely nothing wrong with people multitracking, that would be ridiculous, but I’m just here to say that for some of us it isn’t an issue and don’t even use it even though we can…

Edit: I guess if I get to where I’m making an album I’m going to multitrack, but to make demo cuts to get gigs and just to share, I’m OK with stereo pair…

1 Like

You gave up awful easily. Be strong