Should I sell this thing?

Yeah. I get that. Can’t change the situation

I can see the OP’s point - Digitakt was sold as having ‘seamless integration with Overbridge’ which if you are using a DAW is quite a big deal - wouldn’t you agree? As I’ve said many times before, personally I don’t care less about Overbridge (I do care about sample backup though!) but even though I’m not a DAW user it is immediately obvious to me why some people are getting beyond impatient waiting, streaming the 8 tracks at once and then adding fx and doing further mixing is quite a big selling point. Yes you can do it track by track via the audio outs, but why the hell should you have to waste all that time?

It is indefensible to suggest that Elektron didn’t fuck up bigtime with this whole mess, no one is saying they did it on purpose, but the fact remains deadlines have been missed and good faith has been eroded. Launching new products - also with the same marketing about Overbridge - before current and now legacy products (mkI) are working satisfactorily is however not very professional or fair.

These kind of things make some people resent the gear, if it doesn’t to you then fine, but it kind of grinds my gears when I don’t get what I paid for, and I can understand why it does for others too.

9 Likes

To record music? Nah, not at all, it’s usually a very positive experience😊

Damn, I crack myself up sometimes.

1 Like

Yes you are hilarious :roll_eyes:

I think you missed what I meant, it wasn’t the recording of music I was referring to, but the way you asked him to do it. Just came off as rude.

2 Likes

You’re right, maybe I was provoking where it was uncalled for. The OP’s question is relevant cause it’s important to him, and should be treated with respect accordingly. My bad.

1 Like

Keep it and wait for OB! FWIW, you can get a great sound mixing in the DT internally and recording live to DAW. Then you can layer some other stuff over the top. That was my process on this:

end of thread spam :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No relevance, Perfourmer has individual outs and they can be tracked individually all at once, you can’t do that with each Digitakt part - until Overbridge arrives.

1 Like

I have to say I enjoy this a lot here

3 Likes

Maybe it says more about me, than this forum, that I don’t.

1 Like

FWIW I record the OT and DT track by track. Originally I thought when it came time to record tracks that use the OT scenes or ctrl all that my song wouldn’t sound exactly as it does when I performed it. And although that’s technically the case, it’s hardly noticeable. I’ve also done it where I record the track dry, then record it again with the full scene effects (or full ctrl all effects), and can then fade in/out those 2 recordings in a DAW like I’m using the fader or ctrl all. I know that this may not work in every instance, but couldn’t hurt to try it out :smiley:

4 Likes

ditto…the transfer app for the rytm was supposed to be ready long long ago…i’m not knockin’ elektron gear, it’s just been a while since some of these promises have been fulfilled.

ps which reminds me, i need to take advantage of the sysex backup before things go kapoot.

What about first sketching out an arrangement by recording 2-track takes of a ”performance”, finding a take that’s working great, and then recreating it by multitracking track-by-track? Not saying it won’t be challenging, but with some rehearsing etc should certainly be possible… You could even have the original 2-track take as a ”guide track” while you re-record the multitracks?

I know this might sound like an odd technique in this day and age, but plenty of records have been made like this… first having an arrangement, then recording drums in one take, bass in another take, guits, perx, vox…

4 Likes

So it sounds as if you’re happy with the DT - you just have to convince yourself to be happy recording some 2-track recordings for a while. Don’t fear the change/challange, just see it as a new way to work. Who knows, maybe you’ll even end up preferring that approach in the end.

If you really need the money right now for other expenses or other gear you think would be useful, then sell it. Let’s say you bought it for $750. You can reasonably expect to sell it if you price it at $650. Use other gear, be productive, be happy. Then when OB comes out, maybe in a few months or late 2018, who knows, and the consensus is that it’s super useful, usable, and great, you can buy a used Digitakt for $600-650. No real harm.

I’m a fan of selling gear I’m not immediately using. Unless you’re talking rare/vintage/etc, it’s never super difficult to find it again if you need it. (My exception: I seriously miss the Poly Evolver I bought for around $2000, and now I see people trying to sell them for $3500+. We all have regrets)

1 Like

To be honest, I think recording track by track really defeats the purpose of the DT. I‘d rather try to stick to the stereo outs and make do with the filter. I know it sucks not to be able to EQ individual tracks, but for me the flow of a good performance outweighs treating individual tracks differently. Of course YMMV. I would still try to record tracks, such as beats or particularly nice chord progressions, I may want to revisit at a later point in time individually as a kind of backup. As for selling, depends on how much you need the money elsewhere. To be honest I expect OB to be years away rather than months and months rather than weeks so just sitting it out won‘t work.

2 Likes

I really, really, REALLY hope Elektron proves you wrong with that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Out of interest, how long does it take to ‘fill up’ a Digitakt? I’m thinking about buying one and wondering how long it will be before I hit the wall

And you know what, none of this would be so relevant if they’d been so kind as to provide the DT with a 4gb sample memory and not 1gb. 1gb is so rough…

2 Likes

If you delete all the factory stuff, it takes you:

1 GB / (48k * 3 Bytes * 60) minutes of sampling (time to setup input signals, trim and save not included)

… subtract a few bytes for the sound and project files, of course.

Yes