Should I sell this thing?

If you think this is bad Pioneer promised live sampling on the toraiz sp16 but instead introduced a similar device the jds1000 with this feature and announced they will not update the sp16 with that feature anymore users waited 8 months to hear this, people were fuming. Pioneer did this on purpose so us sp16 owners would have to purchase the jds1000. They have lost a lot of customers because of this.

I was out with my pitchfork in the FB page when the crappy 1.4 launched. Wow. That said the page is boring AF now, Groundhog Day questions about lack of features. I will tune back in before the June update, gallows humour at the ready.

My first response was a bit glib, it’s Friday, the suns shining and I’m in high spirits. I would say to you that I have read a shit ton of posts by Andreas and passive aggressive is wide of the mark IMO.

2 Likes

I thought it was released with live sampling? Wasn’t it a 30second sample limit?

No after a signed petition and a lot of complaints Pioneer announced they will add live sampling in June.

1 Like

Are you talking about the sp16 or the jds1000?

Sp-16?

I recall seeing videos of it when it was released

Not live sampling they promised it in an update but didn’t happen

You can sample but not live sampling

Ah! Thanks for the clarification

No problem

I don’t think he’s passive aggressive in general, just that comment. I’m not trying to condemn the man.
I agree and enjoy his posts 90% of the time.

I obviously commented on an untouchable elder of the forum, and will now return to the shadows of no comment lurking

:v:

2 Likes

I’m positive OB will be on soon. I just wish they release a very stable version, no funny obvious bugs. Also would be nice to iron out the last DT firmware bugs as well.

Other than that I’m very happy with my DT!

1 Like

I’d sell it before tracking things one track at a time. Been there done that, it’s a garbage workflow imho. Biggest reason I bought a DT was the promise of 8 track streaming over USB. Like holy crap that was to me, the “killer feature” that tipped the scales.

My plan with my current work on the DT, if OB proves to be the vaporware it seems to be, is to just record the main outs, and doing my best to mix on the DT and its limited feature set when it comes to processing. Will be Lo-Fi sounding, but what can you do. After that, sell it and get something with more outputs.

Apologies. Wasn’t my business to begin with.

1 Like

It’s not only Pioneer behaving this way. Many companies across all kind of products did and do this. After some initial bugfixing support runs dry fast. With this extreme short product live cycles nowadays it’s almost a given.

But Elektron hasn’t such a track record yet. Each machine had a quite long live cycle and even the MKII series are/were more about smaller refinements and they’ve supported their devices years over years …

1 Like

So do I. It’s just the longer expectations build up the higher the risk of disappointment becomes. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to succeed and make this a viable resilient multitrack recording solution that’s stable even over OS increments and I don’t mind waiting that much I just can’t imagine it being around the corner.

p.s. hi from CMO :*

1 Like

I see what you’re saying & I agree, that’s not cool of Elektron to do. BUT, me personally? I know a business’s main focus is making money. Advertising only the best info, leaving out the bad. Making promises so people will buy their product. So I personally would only buy something for what it could do at that time. Not what it might be able to do in a few months because the company promised it was coming. Also, if I buy something without doing months of research. I realize I’m taking a risk buying that product.
At the same time, I don’t think cupfungus is complaining about lack of OB, it seems like he really likes the Digitakt & is just looking for ways he can use it to it’s fullest potential prior to getting OB.
If it was me, I would just record the main outs of the live performance, but that’s what I already do with all my gear. Maybe until OB comes out, try to get the best sound you possibly can inside the Digitakt. Try to make a positive out of a negative & use this time to learn how to get the best sound quality out of it. Then when OB comes out, you will hopefully have even better mixes because you learned how to get the best sound that you could out of the Digitakt.

1 Like

Sure, I agree, “buyer beware” always, don’t fully trust what any company says or promises. But to what extent do we take it? Can we trust nothing? I believe it is good proactive advice to consumers, but when we take that stance retroactively like in this case, there are some additional side effects:
A) I believe in a subtle way we remove accountability from the company and basically give them clearance to say “Shame on you for trusting us, you should have known better!”
B) We discredit the buyer’s right to be upset for having trusted the company (because of point A, “they should have known better”, so it’s their own fault)

I see this kind of stance a lot, and again, I think it is good general advice, but if we take it as a default assumption that it’s the “buyer’s fault”, then we give the companies even more freedom to say whatever they want or make risky marketing and promotional decisions without as much risk of consequences.

(also just to be clear, I’m not taking a stance against Elektron specifically. I love my Digitakt. I also was/am very eager to use OB, but I can live without it for however long is necessary. I also like to believe they didn’t intentionally make false claims and that they truly believed it would be ready, but who knows what the real story is :slight_smile: )