Should have bought an Octatrack?

Hi -

I just bought a Digitakt over the holidays. It’s my first Elektron device. I’ve had 3 long, productive sessions with it, and have almost sold it 3 times. There are things I love about it like messing with the samples once they’re loaded, playing with the sequencer, the look, and the feel of the buttons. But the part that’s really slowing me down is the loading of samples to projects. I wish there was a magic button that would just randomly fill a project with samples from a file or something quicker. I’m sure it’s me, but I’m so slow working with it. I need to be able to load by kits (eight samples at a time) and would even buy sample packs organized like that.

So that’s where I’m at. Should I have bought an Octatrack instead? For my music, I use loopers and hardware effects with everything running through them into a DAW recorded live just as one track. I imagine the Octatrack as the final thing before going into the computer. I think I would have their most fun with it’s looping features, the crossfader, the effects, and just mangling my entire track. Here’s some samples of my stuff:

As you can tell, I’m not the best with beats. I thought the Digitakt would help but I think I’m too slow on it. It’s feels too rigid to me if that makes sense. I know I haven’t fully explored it yet though. I could see how it gets better and better for me if I continue to use it. There’s something about the glow of those blue lights and that orange screen that draw you in.

Last thing, anyone recommend any drum machines better suited for me? I’ve thought of the TR-8S, an MPC Live, waiting for Model:Samples to come out, or going the Machine/Komplete Kontrol route although I prefer less computer involvement.

That’s everything. Thanks for reading. Any advice is appreciated. Excited to get more into the Elektron world.

Well, I don’t have a digitakt, but I’ve become pretty familiar with the Octatrack, and the differences between the two units. I also had and loved the digitone, so I’m familiar with the square-ish elektron feel/workflow.

I think an Octatrack would be more frustrating for you at this point. The OT is far more capable, but the workflow is just as complex, if not more in some areas. The digitakt also has an easier form factor for finger-drumming, but that’s maybe just how my hands like to work.

My suggestion would be to practice with the digitakt until you get faster and get more satisfying results. Then if you feel you need the additional strengths of the OT making the change should be pretty smooth.

2 Likes

If the DT is too much effort/too challenging, I wonder whether the OT could ever be your device. It offers more functionality, but for the price of a way steeper learning curve.

My advice would be a rather generic one: invest more time in the DT. The parts that are cumbersome - try to embrace them. Chances are you misunderstood the interface, and more time will lead to a better workflow. Muscle memory is where the Elektron devices really excel for me - you get into their specific ways, after a while. The only thing that gets you there is to invest time. Three sessions really aren’t a lot of time to build up knowledge for an Elektron device.

If the DT really isn’t for you, but you buy another Elektron machine, your time investment won’t be wasted.

PS: it took me three months​ to feel at home with the OT, my first Elektron device. I wanted to sell it numerous times. I’m so happy I stuck with it - I’d never sell it now. The same can happen with you and the DT.

U know, u can put multiple samples into the project at once - maybe an idea is to make a couple of default projects with full sample pools?

2 Likes

Sounds to me like you need a computer and and a controller

1 Like

That is some good, sound advice. That’s kind of what I’m feeling. I think I need to put in some long hours getting all of my samples in it, putting them where I want them, creating kits, and creating some templates I can quickly start from. Then it would be all 100% fun from then on after that. And it would save $, which is always nice. Thanks!

1 Like

I had a Digitakt, then got a Digitone and love them both. Recently picked up an Octatrack and haven’t had a chance to dig in yet, but I agree with the other posts here. If you think loading samples in DT is slow (it’s not that bad, but I remember having the same gripe about it), it’s even slower in OT. You can only load one sample at a time to the sample pool (I think). At least with DT, you can load a bunch of samples all at once. It’s still tedious, but not too bad. Try the suggestion above where you create some default projects loaded with say 70-100 samples, which leaves room to add others as you get into the flow. It doesn’t take much to get going with DT. However, the model:samples might be the box for you. It seems even quicker / more intuitive.

I like that answer. It’s the one that saves me money. I need to dig in more. I can totally see how I wouldn’t be able to sell it one day. I’m going to give it some more time. I’ve even thought about the Digitone even while thinking about selling the Digitakt. Thanks!

1 Like

If you’re using the Transfer application, a great way to quickly get collections of samples into your projects is to pre-organize them on your computer before you send them to the DT. By putting the samples you want to use together into the same directory, you can quickly navigate to that directory in the DT, select all of them at once, and load them into the machine. I have a number of different drum kits set up this way.

6 Likes

This is pretty relatable. As others have mentioned, you’ll need to dig in more and get super familiar with the workflow and menu. I’ve had similar experiences at first where I’ve wanted to give up and move on. I’ve gotten more used to it now though. Even after the cuckoo mega tutorial I find myself learning new things from time to time. I also agree that Module Sample might be the better device for the type of quick workflow you’re looking. OT is not gonna be any “quicker”.

If not, DAW and a controller… maybe Maschine or PUSH.

Great advice

Loading samples into either the DT or OT is about the same. Organize samples into a folder, transfer and you’ll have quick access to specific samples. That’s been my experience, at least. Three sessions just isn’t enough to give you a hint what any Elektron box is about. Sold my DT because I much prefer the OT, but that came at a cost to my sanity the first couple weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good idea. I keep trying to do all my work on the Digitakt itself with it’s weird yes and no buttons on the right and the scrolling dial on the left side. If I move a lot of that to doing on the computer, that would make it a lot better. Thanks!

I thought about Maschine but am worried I would have latency issues when using it with effects and loopers. It blows my mind trying to figure out how to set all that up.

Very good to know.

I think it’s clear - Keeping the Digitakt. Giving it more time. Diving in. The grass is not always greener. Thanks Elektrotnauts!

2 Likes

If this means anything at all to you, basically I use the digitakt to sample and lay down drums, put together a 64 step track/project idea. Then bounce everything to Ableton for all the “fine tuning”. But the basic ideas are all done on the machine itself, away from a daw, computer and such. Allows me to not get too distracted.

1 Like

I can see how that would be nice to just focus on the creative part of Digitakt and then do the techical stuff later in the DAW.

1 Like

With overbridge this line becomes finer - things could come in and out of DT really easy.

1 Like

Yup, this exactly.

Although it’s still beta I believe. The other day, had that thing crash on me non-stop. the minute ableton started recording, digitakt would disconnect and no longer be recognized as the audio interface and my session wouldn’t record for more than 4 bars before a crash. Culprit was overbridge. It was so frustrating.

the digitakt is awesome! I own the DT and the OT, both are fantastic devices, but for beat making straight up I really like the DT.

Take your time and go slow, watch @cuckoomusic’s tutorial on the DT and go from there.

And most important, have fun and enjoy the journey, it’s part of the Elektron joy :slight_smile:

1 Like