Should Elektron have a High End Machine?

I guess its all relative. But there is a market around £2000-£4000.

1 Like

… what is often called a flagship, often with a larger screen, and a keyboard, and an extensive control surface, and many features pulled together into a complete whole.

This may not be the sort of thing Elektron has done – though no reason they couldn’t. They certainly have all the elements, and have gone towards this edge. It would be new territory for them.

Perhaps.
But this market is really small.

… but still profitable, and quite viable.

but is the model line the one that needs a flagship?

I think Elektron heard us … we loved the Digi-formfactor so much that it will be at least one more device like this. And then hopefully something like Iridium/Hydra with granular and 32 voices. I mean… the ARM architecture makes it possible now even more…

2 Likes

They are already high end models.

+1 for Elektron ASR10

Well Sabana can clarify if he means a £2000-£4000 Model : Expensive, or if means a £2000-£4000 Elektron model. Scanning through the thread again, i read this as generally a discussion of the later. That is what i posted about.

A £2000-£4000 Model : Expensive, in the same plastic format, i find hard to picture other than as a joke.

1 Like

Not as much for a large company to invest in.

It’s more the domain of much smaller and more nimble companies.

When I need support from a company who charges that much, I always end up exchanging emails with the president/lead engineer (not out of intentionally going straight to the top, but because of the flatter hierarchy.)

Now, ala Moog, Elektron does have “flagship” devices which have r&d gains to apply to cheaper derivative products, but i don’t think those are the same as “spare no expense high end” models.

Then it’s just a matter of time before this thread gets folded into the What’s next for Elektron thread that’s been chugging along for 8 years, absorbing smaller threads like a bloated amoeba.

Also I do hope some of the meme artists around here make a mockup of a model:expensive, it’s got great joke potential.

1 Like

Correct. I would laugh at a high end model. Never thought poeple would assume that. Ill change the title

1 Like

I hope it wont be what next. As this is just aiming at the very high end market. Which they are yet to deliver on. Heres hoping.

2 Likes

Meh, personally I prefer the larger machines, find digis a bit cramped and limited in comparison, still awesome though.

2 Likes

I definitely feel the need for something the size of an octatrack that could be used like a DAW in a box, performance device, and usb audio interface/mixer. Why not the OT? Well I have one and it’s almost there but the USB functionality and RAM specs seem behind the curve when compared to other samplers like the new SP-404 or MPC line. Also, now that I have tasted the nectar of overbridge I want more of it and I want it with something like but more powerful than the OT. I don’t know what more I would want for 4k though, maybe cv outs and mic preamps?

I’d say that’s my 2 cents, but I’d definitely pay 2-4k for such a device.

No need for a new mockup.

“The devil is in the d҈e̸t̵a҈i̶l̸s̸ converters”

1 Like

AR+A4/K+OT pretty much defines high end, all in the foot print of five octave keyboard. Rack it with obligatory wooden end cheese.

1 Like

I hope the next one will be a big not a digi box.
I mean digi make some compromises on « KIT », and for me when you make a song, it’s good to keep the same sound when you change pattern.

I would be definitely fine with a 16 voice VA like they have done with the MD.
But which can do drum and synth with sound lock :slight_smile:

I admire your optimism.

1 Like

We’ll see…