Stoked how bad Oppenheimer was

Everyday we get further and further from Memento.

Last Nolan movie I saw was Interstellar, after that I just sorta tapped out.

5 Likes

And so you should be.

4 Likes

Might “shit sound” now be very dependant where in the cinema you sit? Presumably most screens don’t have treated rooms. With an Atmos sound field interacting with room reflections, you could have all sorts of weird going on.

(Not an expert, just interested)

I don’t think Nolan tries to do a Mann kind of thing at all. Unless I completely zoned out during Michael Mann films and missed … everything?

(For what it’s worth I love both Nolan and Villeneuve, and even the best Mann films never excite me)

2 Likes

Is Dolby Atmos really necessary for an immersive film experience? For such a serious subject as the atom bomb, I don’t know… I was more interested in what the characters had to say to each other but I realize I am likely out of sync with greater society.

2 Likes

My metric for movies is simple:

I measure everything against The Shawshank Redemption. It’s either better, worse, or on par with The Shawshank Redemption.

Its a popular movie. If you find yourself amongst circles praising a movie you didn’t like, just change the subject to how great The Shawshank Redemption is :grinning:

11 Likes

If memory serves you can’t say your theater is Dolby Atmos enabled unless they set the sound in the room themselves; it’s their gimmick. So you can’t just hang some speakers in a warehouse and say it’s Dolby Atmos, their engineers have to be involved and they’re pretty critical of their spaces.

1 Like

so, long story short, you’re saying oppenheimer is a bomb.

9 Likes

Ha! Dammit! Only in hindsight is that pun so blatantly obvious!

4 Likes

That’s … unfortunate!

His Batman trilogy is fantastic!!

3 Likes

memento is perdy gerd terr

3 Likes

I’ve never seen it, add it to the list!

soo… Shawshank Redemption… great mooviiee…

3 Likes

Dunno, I’ve never seen Shawshank

:wink:

2 Likes

Tattoo it on your chest as a reminder.

13 Likes

biggest shock of the thread.

good one!!!

4 Likes

You really need a system if you’re gonna make it work

1 Like

Oppenheimer was fine . I was impressed how many people were at the cinema early on a Sunday morning to see a science movie - though it’s not really a Science movie thankfully.

It’sa Biography of the bloke who Is credited with the bomb but also a look at how politics and the spectre communism, americas paranoia/ political manoeuvres .

Sound seemed ok (was in modern imax Cineworld ) … lots of rumbling bass

Good performance from main bloke and Robert downy junior
It’ll win some awards but that doesn’t mean it’s good.

Shawshank redemption is better.

1 Like