Stoked how bad Oppenheimer was

biggest shock of the thread.

good one!!!

4 Likes

You really need a system if youā€™re gonna make it work

1 Like

Oppenheimer was fine . I was impressed how many people were at the cinema early on a Sunday morning to see a science movie - though itā€™s not really a Science movie thankfully.

Itā€™sa Biography of the bloke who Is credited with the bomb but also a look at how politics and the spectre communism, americas paranoia/ political manoeuvres .

Sound seemed ok (was in modern imax Cineworld ) ā€¦ lots of rumbling bass

Good performance from main bloke and Robert downy junior
Itā€™ll win some awards but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s good.

Shawshank redemption is better.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen Oppenheimer but I have several common complaints with movies in recent years. I like a lot of Nolan stuff e.g. Memento, Insomnia, Inception etc and I liked his Batman but there didnā€™t need to be three Batman movies. Everything doesnā€™t need to be 2-3 hours long and you donā€™t need to make a franchise out of every idea. They milk every IP to death until whatever was good about it is long forgotten.

Tenet was a mess, heā€™s badly overplayed his hand with all this time-bending stuff. Even Dunkirk (which was basically a good film) didnā€™t need the time-shifting stuff but he couldnā€™t help himself. Itā€™s like M Night Shyamalan, everyone is now just waiting for the ā€œthey all live inside a snow globeā€ twist at the end. Enough already!

I recently saw the latest Mission Impossible at the cinema and it was pretty entertaining, great action etc but too long at about 2:45. Top Gun Maverick was about 2:10 (still pushing it a bit) but it was an incredibly fun and entertaining popcorn movie and never boring.

I havenā€™t gone to see any recent Marvel films because Iā€™m sick to death of the whole thing and I donā€™t need to see another movie that ends with something massive falling from the sky. The carnage is on such a grand scale it loses any sense of threat or jeopardy, itā€™s not a good sign when I couldnā€™t care less which characters live or die.

And yes, they really need to stop mixing the dialogue so low you canā€™t hear it. Theyā€™re doing it on the telly as well, you keep having to rewind to work out what theyā€™re saying!!

4 Likes

Ha ha. Right after I read this I thought to myself ā€œIā€™m so glad Tom Hanks wasnā€™t in Shawshank Redemption to ruin itā€.

3 Likes

ā€¦the last time i went for big screen, was duneā€¦
ā€¦the next time iā€™ll go for big screen will be dune part 2ā€¦
all other hollywood blockbusting attempts have left me totally unimpressed since agesā€¦

oppenheimer seems like a nice try and a story totally worth to be told in great visualsā€¦
but nothing that would make me go to experience it on a big screenā€¦
no matter if itā€™s popcorn cinema or notā€¦iā€™m done with popcornā€¦either wayā€¦

3 Likes

Does popcorn give you IBS as well?

ibs?

Is Batman Shit?

6 Likes

Interesting Bomb Shenanigans

5 Likes

Mine is a reply by a man who struggled to make a joke involving Samuel L. Jackson and quicky gave up.

1 Like

Honestly, Christopher Nolan should have made the Barbie movie, and Greta Gerwig the Oppenheimer movie. I might have seen both. Instead, I will see them sometime on a plane (though I tend to watch other peopleā€™s screens with no sound or subtitles, just for the challenge) or on some streaming service I get for free with my Internet/mobile package.

8 Likes

thereā€™s a word for this, but thereā€™s too many snakes on this plane for me fully articulate it to you.

3 Likes

While Gerwig started her career staring in mumblecore films, Nolan ended up inadvertently defining the genre without anyone knowing it, including himself.

4 Likes

I saw this video some time ago. Seems relevant here still. Havenā€™t seen Oppenheimer yet.

2 Likes

I almost minored in film at university, so planes are not my favourite place to see anything. Thereā€™s a very narrow window. Thereā€™s crap Iā€™d never see under any circumstances, and there are movies that if Iā€™m going to watch, Iā€™d want to do so on at least my recent Macbook or iPad. Sometimes if I remind myself that Iā€™m oxygen-deprived (theyā€™ve probably gone back to fewer air exchanges now that they think COVID is over, right?) and Iā€™m bound to waste the time anyway, I can broaden that window a bit. But also, my noise-cancelling headphones are pretty good at music reproduction, and I have some amazing music on my iPhone, and when I listen, I seriously listen, itā€™s not wallpaper. Not much can compete with that.

I like the big-screen experience, but the last film I saw in a theatre was in February 2020, and I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll go back. (It was ā€œPortrait of a Lady on Fireā€, which is an amazing film, so as with my last major travel, at least I went out on a high note.)

1 Like

A few years ago I managed to get teary eyed on a plane watching Fletch with Chevy Chase for the first time. It was a bit perplexing but I embraced it and feel like I even grew a bit.

4 Likes

You know you cry more easily on planes, right? Oxygen deprivation again.

3 Likes

Itā€™s dependably the favourite film of people who arenā€™t really into film.

1 Like

I always attributed to those little bottles of Sutter Home Cabernet.

2 Likes