Setting up your workspace

Straying way off the path mon…

Sorry to interrupt you fellas and your friendly banter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - what’s the danger of running the Swarm directly into the OT? If I have the output low on the Swarm and turn down the gain on the OT input, am I likely to get a decent signal and /or will I damage the OT?

1 Like

Is that an order? … this is now sounding very Joy Division! :grinning:

Just pulling yer pisser … The OT is ace … a cracking thing .But it aint no mixer (as an instrument). In the traditional sense
@Grate_expectations use what you have … its a good selection of things. Explore and Enjoy!

X

2 Likes

Great :roll_eyes: Thanks Adam! I’m no longer in control of my computer and my display is all fleshy colored.

5 Likes

No danger running it into the OT. Is the Swarm Modular level output?
Turn down the volume of the Synth and watch the input on the OT. Increase and decrease.
accidents are good.
Don’t be scared.
:+1:

Wait who are you? Oh yeah this is your thread right :hugs:?

Just distorting the inputs really. You can’t break it with your swarm if that’s what you mean.

2 Likes

I’ve read that it’s modular level output.

Without a deep dive into electronics engineering, just know it’s safe.

I guess I should state once again that I’m not joking around with this comment above.

I do actually have an Electronics Degree from a real college lol (this doesn’t make infallible btw).

I’ll fix it for you for free if it breaks it. There, that’s clear :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, keep the synth output volume low to start. Just play about…

The OT can handle it!

1 Like

Slippy Gear;

I bought a used TimeLine the other day and the Velcro helped inspire me.

I too used rubber feet until I came across this heavy duty Velcro. Some dude must’ve needed it for his pedal board. I was so worried about the residue this Velcro would leave behind. To my disbelief there was zero and the strength of the stick was very strong.

Oh, btw… I had to have a reshuffle of my gear too.

Off I went to the hardware store for the strongest Velcro they have.

Upon coming home I have used it for two of my 8 pieces; the Heat and my Marantz PMD 740 (a cassette deck mixer).

The thing does not go ANYWHERE!!!

I guess everything advances, even Velcro. The strength of the adhesive and the zero residue has wowed me.

Mixer;
I do second @AdamJay response to your mixer. The OT will suffice but it is also a matter of taste. I was listening to Richard Devine on The Knobtwiddlers Hangout. He was talking about desks. He went to one of his hero’s studio - Sub Focus - and was amazed and bewildered by the size of his desk. He basically had parameters automated and no two bars were the same. These small tweaks add interest to the music; something that could be automated via the OT’s plocks freeing up your hands for other things. Your mixer would require your hands to do things like varying the aux send and other automation duties.

I, for one, and I really don’t mean to ruffle any feathers, BUT, I don’t like the sound of the OT as a mixer. Many will say otherwise and many may agree. That’s why I said it is down to taste. Run some tests, record the tests, and a/b them… post them on here for others to a/b too :wink:

Are you any good at DIY? You just need some basic ideas and principles and away you go!

I would build a 19” shelf and a laptop stand for DJ’s (or use the thing you’ve currently got the mixer sitting on :wink:). Put the shelf on the middle at the back and Velcro the mixer stand to the top of it. I had to make the decision to elevate the mixer because it is the thing I need to twiddle less. When I’m set to go with my synth patch and drums I add in the eq section of my mixer. It helps the final sound before anything gets printed.

Over the past 8 years I have built up this little corner of the living room with anything I could get my hands on… cardboard boxes were great and worked jigsaw like; great for someone who was experimenting with any and all types of hardware I found at many of the used goods stores.

In an ideal world, I’d have the speakers further apart and that Marantz dropped down and more to hand. Something that can be achieved with your surface area. You are lucky!

Here’s what I settled on;

Last word of advice;

• Don’t get to attached to the items you think you needed.
5 Likes

What are those gigantic rubber risers called and where can I find them? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Lol

I came across them at the hardware store. I’ve seen them in Japan only. Never in my home country - UK. You’re from the US, right @AdamJay? I guess you can’t find them there either.

Made of tough stuff and the teeth really help situate gear and different degrees. I use them for my RYTM and my CME keyboard. I did use them for the OB6 in my last set up but they aren’t needed here at all.

The store is just down the road. I don’t mind popping there for anyone :wink:
I will also try and get an internet link so you can purchase directly whenever the itch needs a scratch :wink:

Why am I gügling, “rubber doorstops”?

The earth is flat and so will be my synths!

3 Likes

hahaha ,my amazon searches…

Just take a photo of the packaging please, and we can take it from there :wink:

7 Likes

That is hilarious :joy:

There is no packaging, but we will get there.

It looks like a combo of an industrial door stop and a slanted dunnage rack (no dunnage racks are slanted, but the design is similar). I really like it and can see many uses.

FWIW, my choice for riser/slanter is a hodgepodge of a few products.

I use the Mstand for its height (makes a good top tier) and flat, stable base:

Inside the base cavity of the Mstand, I wedge one of these heavy rubber loading dock bumpers ($9ea, eBay).
This takes all of the wobble out of the Mstand, and adds stability overall as it lowers the center of gravity. It makes the top of the Mstand as sturdy as a tabletop. I also have a pair of these under my iMac for a very stable, sturdy but small footprint riser. I have 4 of these overall.
s-l500

And then on top of the Mstand, for added slant, I use a couple BlueLounge CoolFeet. These tilt the instruments forward even more. They work in conjunction. Without the loading dock bumper’s added weight and stability these cool feet shift the weight too far forward with the forward slant.

images

In the past I’ve used Auralex U-Boats, which still have some other utilities in my studio.
There’s a thread about it.

2 Likes

I really like this one. Nicely adjustable but still sturdy. Plus easy to navigate cables under.

AWAVO Laptop Stand, Aluminium… https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08BCD32Y4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ll put in a shout for right angle cables. I have a restrictively small desk and was forced to think really carefully about what goes on it and where. The re is no way I could have this much gear without 90 degree cables (power, audio and MIDI).

So the shelf has euro and speakers. Left side is sequencing & sampling, right side is sound sources, and mixing & fx on a small shelf below.

It’s taken a while to get here mind you. And there is still room for another pedal :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes