SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

I’m generally not a fiend for jazz music but there are a few jazz musicians that I like a lot, among whom Dave Grusin:

Maybe it’s because he’s not only a jazz musician, don’t know. Famous soundtracks such as The Firm.

1 Like

Wow, two Jazz Messengers gone in such a short time frame, and thanks for sharing these, as I’d never heard of him before. What another absolute giant gone!

Here’s a great summary of his career

1 Like

RIP Jazz Legend Ahmad Jamal

12 Likes

You can totally jazz on Elektron gear if you know “how to jazz” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Some styles of music I only enjoy live. Jazz is one. Cultural/Ethnic music, blues and possibly I’d even put up with certain styles of country (if it was dark and moody enough) played by good musicians in the same room as me. It’s almost a contradiction to listen to recordings of jazz!

Since I got a turntable again (for the first time in decades), and some fancy speakers, I have found I’m really getting into jazz.

I only like the more experimental stuff. And by this, I also mean music that was experimental, or surprising, at the time, like Kind of Blue.

Not a fan of a lot of modern show-off technical jazz, the kind that seems more like an exercise in how many extended chords you can play in a bar, nor old cheesy chocolate-box jazz.

But when it’s good it’s amazing.

My favourite guitar player is a jazzer. Also like jazz where it crosses over with psychedelia, prog and funk.

2 Likes

I want to. I own some of the classics like Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme, etc. I can put those on and enjoy them. Some of the newer stuff I just don’t get but I want to understand it more as a guitar player. I just need to learn some more chords and theory. And like everything else, it just takes practice.

1 Like

The Ahmad Jamal track reminded me of this John Hicks track

I discovered it by way of a podcast hosted by a friend of mine. The theme of one episode was music that makes you think of someone you care about but can’t be with you, or something like that. This was the track that sampled “After The Morning:”

2 Likes

Nujabes was a great producer! Just like Dilla. Jazz has always been important ro rap music and Hip-Hop in general. Even more so now that rap has influenced Jazz. Questlove from the Roots says it in his RBMA session and a lot of the UK Jazz artists like Kamaal Williams or Alfa Mist.

2 Likes

As a kid, teen and younger man I had no interest in Jazz at all, but these days I like it.

It was actually a Bowie track that got me into liking Jazz but it appears to be a one off. I’ve often wished I could find an artist where the whole album was in this sort of Jazz style, but I’ve never been able to find one. It’s nearly eight minutes long this track and that’s still way too short!

Love it, I think it has a very classy, relaxing sound and feel to it:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I have been putting in a lot of Jazz improvisation work on the trumpet lately, since gigging on bass and guitar has slowed down until the Summer. Mostly spending time learning new repertoire and solo transcriptions, such as Canyon Lady by Joe Henderson:

Also been getting comfortable with various note patterns in all keys from old Jazz lesson handouts and the following resources:

I wish more time was available to regularly devote towards improving on trumpet instead of daily embouchure maintenance. Trumpet was the first instrument I studied in grade school, and I still have a soft spot for it. However, keeping my skills up on bass and guitar is already too time consuming with other responsibilities and interests in life. Therefore, I will enjoy this time while it last.

4 Likes

Yes, indeed!

Yusef Lateef was the initial artist I explored when I became interested in Jazz as a kid. My dad was a big fan and owned most of his albums. I honestly just thought his name was cool and decided to play his albums first from the sizeable collection. It turned out to be a good decision.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I did a full improv drum/sax jazz-adjacent freakout the other night. I’ve got this link cued up to our set.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Pnuj2MZoejY?feature=share&t=16560

1 Like

@captain8 Man, that’s a really fresh find :exploding_head: you’re dropping some nice gems on us!

1 Like

yeah I pretty much love everything in this thread

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that such flavorful, rare LP albums that were likely pressed for small budget release get buried in some warehouse collections, and not our own :expressionless: I tried to message you with a neat find regarding the album but I wasn’t able to. Are you not currently accepting pm’s?

The first Tenor is Ben Webster… so much emotion

3 Likes