SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

No

3 Likes

I was introduced to Brotzman and Sonny Sharrock (?) as a young man working in a record store in DC…RIP

2 Likes

For real

2 Likes

This is a really nice curated selection of jazz records. It’s the first compilation of 3 cd’s from Jules Deelder (RIP) . He was the face of the nightlife in Rotterdam-Netherlands for a long time. Couldn’t live sober and was on Amfetamine for the most part of his live and very open and content of this habbits and way of self medicating . He breathed jazz and was a walking and talking jazz wikepedia. I didn’t liked jazz but his compilations made me appreciate the genre. The cd compilations are named:

1 Like

Hate Jazz, always have, avoid it when I’m in the vicinity, which outside of the U.S. is pretty easy as it’s commercially practically non-exsistant. Now if it’s your own thing, then good for you, it’s not mine and never has been.

That Tökkö track is great! It’s set off that “I’ve heard this before” nagging feeling. Maybe it’s already been posted? Maybe my saxophonist friend introduced me to it.

Anyway, it reminded me of these two jazz-adjacent monsters:

(I might have cross-posted this one into the Great Baselines thread … )

4 Likes

Some good Pete jazz

2 Likes

The saxophonist of the band, Linda Fredriksson, performs also solo.

2 Likes

I’m just here to applaud the subject line on this discussion. In my mind we’re at a party, in the kitchen. You’ve grasped my clothes, you’re spitting in my face as you talk, but I’m genuinely enjoying the urgency.

4 Likes

It’s purely from the heart :hearts:
I appreciate the scene you painted with your words, and commend your writing style :beers:

Trained as classical musician when a kid (clarinet from age 6) then got a sax aged 14, got an amazing sax teacher (session player), started playing in big bands and jazz quartets/quintets in my late teens, playing pretty seriously by the time I was 20 (300 gigs a year at my peak), mostly fusion/funk stuff (think Sanborn/Brecker) than standards etc but also playing in big horn sections in blues bands (earned a good living in a Blues Brothers cover band for a while).

So yeah, I love jazz. But I also love techno and a bunch of different EDM sub-genres, and a lot of rock stuff too.

What I don’t love about jazz (and never have) is the vibe that it’s kind of a special thing for a certain type of connoisseur. That’s not where jazz came from (its roots are in poor man’s music, this was music for everyone back in the day) and it’s not how everyone I’ve ever met and respected in the jazz world thinks… but that can be the vibe I think.

Net effect though is I’ve lost count of the jazz gigs I’ve played where not a lot of people showed up, and commercially it is all pretty niche unfortunately. I know first-call players who were in Frank Sinatra’s band for his final tour and have played the Albert Hall (big London venue) numerous times who struggle to make the rent each month.

It’s like the old joke about the difference between a jazz gig and a rock gig. A jazz gig means playing hundreds of chords in front of three people. A rock gig means playing three chords in front of hundreds of people. And I guess a techno gig means playing one chord in front of thousands of people :joy:

5 Likes

Maybe not cutting edge or virtuoso, but I always thought Vince Guaraldi was much more than the guy who composed Linus and Lucy. Although not on the level of Chopin, the right hand / left hand rhythm differences in his song Skating (also from Peanuts) has a really great bounce and his ability to make emotive compositions was pretty impressive. Also some of the Vince and Bola (Sete) stuff is pretty great too.

I don’t know if it was already mentioned here (probably) but some stuff from John Dankworth like two piece flower is pretty swanky if you’re into stuff a bit less traditional. Has almost a henry mancini feel to it.

Always been a big fan of Coltrane but if you like jazz that’s sort of required reading. Can’t stand dixieland unfortunately, it’s something I’ve never acquired a taste for.

3 Likes

From the new Phi-Psonics album…

2 Likes

Listen… I like drum and bass… got into synths… started taking piano lessons… and never said I liked Jazz… BUT… I watch allot of videos on theory, and the purest , and most precise expression of theory is Jazz… So I end up watching alot of jazz piano instruction videos, mainly on chord voicings…

I also own an upright bass… but I only listen to EDM… and I watch production videos.

But this video really sends home how I think music is really made… its Jazz… Its also production… And its not high brow at all… just a dude in a chair… dropping atomic truth bombs of KNOWLEDGE. In the first few minutes, he goes into timing and chord voicing…

And I am an idiot… but doesn’t jazz all live in the 7th and 9th degree of chord voicings?

5 Likes

I’d toyed with the idea of taking a trip to NYC to attend one of Barry Harris’s weekly classes. He was charging a very low rate too. Damn shame I never got around to it while he was alive.

Jazz is rhythm first, note geekery second. That said, I attended a workshop taught by a local pianist and I liked his straightforward explanations of what kinds of chord he would play depending on the gig:

Traditional blues - Dominant 7ths, Minor 7ths, very light use of extensions on Major chords. Dominant 7th often subbed for Major anyway.

Traditional gospel - Mostly same approach as traditional blues, but more likely to use a Dominant suspended chord, instead of the bluesier sounding regular Dominant 7th, as the 5 chord. Oh and more likely to use Major triads.

Jazz - Chords with 9ths, 11ths and 13ths (usually just dominant) preferred over 7ths. Chord tones and extensions altered to taste.

Contemporary Gospel - Anything goes, as long as there’s no clash with the singers

6 Likes

I should screenshot your explanation and give it to my piano teacher, so he can explain it this skillfully.

Everything you listed is what i am trying to learn. Literally, even the genres. And thats because I love classic rock, and its so infused with blue, jazz and gospel… like Mountain.

I love Leslie West

1 Like

1 Like

I like jazz a lot. Jazz fusion, jazz funk and spiritual jazz are my favorite subgenres, but I enjoy many other styles as well, even free jazz. Herbie Hancock’s Flood is my sweet spot album.

I’m especially interested in jazz crossing over with other styles like rock and electronic styles like dnb. I love the improvisation aspect, raw emotion and all those extended chords, I wish more electronic music would go this direction. I love broken beat, for example, but it’s still quite smooth and loopy as opposed to raw and improvisatory.

3 Likes

Im liking Jazz more and more… even blues and gospel!

My piano teacher is away so im teaching myself 2-5-1 with chord shells… its so pretty!

4 Likes

i love Nils Petter Molvaer, as well as Kjetil Moster, and just a lot of norwegian stuff like Terje Rypdal

I also like many of the releases on ECM, as well as Hubro.
I also love a lot of Miles Davis stuff. and Tomasz Stanko.
so i guess… yes :slight_smile:

1 Like