SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

I really like “Don’t You Know” from the same LP. Reminds me of Air and Zero 7, who I came across first despite their music being 20 years younger.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard the whole album yet!

This is beautiful!

This is amazing too. Did we ever talk about Air or Zero Seven? I remember expressing my deep love for zero seven with someone.

You into Jungle, the group? I got tickets for when they are in Chicago.

Is it also just me, or did I hear a bit of Closer by NIN at the end?

2 Likes

Same! I just recognised the cover from the one song I know.

Don’t think that was me. I love the first AIR e.p. and enjoyed their work progressively less as they went on. Can’t say a bad word about it, just wasn’t “for me” in a way the first one is.

Similar feeling about Zero 7… they’re good. Just I find it easier to go looking for similar stuff, usually older, and tend to prefer it. Can’t explain why.

They’ve been on my “I should find out what the fuss is about” list for ages. Have a good gig!

That’s just you. NIN are filthy and this is not. :smiley:

(TBF, I’ve not heard Closer in a couple of years. I will re-listen to it and form a more genuine opinion)

1 Like

In the last tail, the synth bass is similar

Not the same, just shot into my mind because it feels “closer” to it than farther away.

1 Like

It’s like jazzy soul I like it - someone that knows what they’re talking about could probably nail the genre better than me :sweat_smile:

@BLKrbbt if it doesn’t swing it’s not jazz. That’s 70s fusion rock or something.

Tss t t tsss Tss t t tsss Tss t t tsss

2 Likes

Had the Angel Bat Dawid LIVE album on my Bandcamp wishlist for years and never properly dipped in. Read about her this week and thought I’d give it a go today and it’s amazing. Seems chaotic because of all the energy but it’s beautifully arranged with so much variety, emotion and amazing playing from everyone.

Also love live albums for gems like “Turn brother Julian up! Turn it up! THAT BASS GOTTA HIT! TURN THAT SHIT UP!” (and she’s right as what a groove)

3 Likes

It’s definitely a great release. Everything she has done until the most recent one has been gold. So a shame that I was pretty bummed by her most recent one. Suppose I should throw it on again, but just felt like it’s moving away from the jazz being the focus and more on the vocals. Almost like a jazz opera or something, from what I recall. I guess it’s a sign I need to listen more so I can verbalize more clearly what I’m not vibing on.

1 Like

Last track I’m diggin’.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Some favs

Grachan Moncur

Roy Haynes

Karin Krog w/ Steve Kuhn Trio

3 Likes

Do you like jazz?

Do you like AFX?

then you will appreciate this:

4 Likes

“Taken from Yussef’s upcoming debut solo album ‘Black Classical Music’, out on 8 Sep”

Can’t wait for this album, Yussef Dayes is one of the most interesting drummers today.

3 Likes

I had just picked this up recently and wanted to use it for the challenges we set up with @natehorn but this is the only version available. Unfortunately, the vid quality takes away from the song a bit but if you should stumble on this record for under $10, then it’s pretty cool for this track :+1:

1 Like

love the rhodes in this - some great sounds what a record!

1 Like

techno got me into jazz - when checking the bios of the detroit producers i kept on reading about jazz, so i started exploring. 25 years later I am deep into it, but i still struggle with the sound of saxophones (i know there are many types, alto, baritone etc) it is not growing on me yet and i mostly dont like it but albums like Bossa Nova Soul Samba by Ike Quebec or Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell are among my top 10… so i am open to any suggestion from you guys.
When listening to old, hissy recordings of trad jazz, i seem to like more the sound of saxophones, i still have not understood if if’s because the lack of high frequencies or the playing style of trad jazz players. it could be both tho.

1 Like

I actually have experienced the same effect regarding sax. When I was a kid Kenny G was really popular amongst the adults at that time, and so naturally I despised whatever they listened to, including smooth jazz. Now, I love smooth jazz and am ashamed for being such a closeted jazz appreciator for so long :baby:

Sad news about Kenny Burrell, whom is a beautiful guitarist who deserves much more recognition, but I remember reading up about him on a recent blogspot post from 2022 that he’s in poor financial condition and was barely able to afford his own medical care (I forget what he’s diagnosed with at the moment but it isn’t pleasant). It made me sad that such a giant with such beautiful music to share with the world would have such difficulties in the later stages of his life.

The recommendations in this post are tremendous if you find yourself in the mood for light digging. For me, I always grew up with a draw to jazzy hip hop. Finding out that my favorite producers were mostly jazz influenced, in some way, made it all the more appealing for me to learn more about the genre and it’s giants.

Here’s a gorgeous Kenny Burrell album if you’re into his style :beers:

2 Likes

Recently I’ve been hitting this “listening bar” for breakfast before I start work as they are near my office and open at 7am.

Lots of great synth stuff on this Herbie Hancock record

8 Likes

Ah man how neat, and what a pleasant way to start off the day :ok_hand: Cool spot and nice selection too!
You inspired me to look some up in the LA area :beers:

1 Like

is that in Tokyo, what’s the name and address of that place?

1 Like