Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

I’m sure it’s a great synth and my design criticism is admittedly subjective

2 Likes

Nice one. They’re basically the same design style then, just different lighting and contrast etc etc.

1 Like

I might not love how it looks (I also don’t hate it) but I’ve been using a Mopho x4 and that’s not too pretty either. I always go back and forth with the Mopho but the only alternative I’ve been interested in is the Prophet-5 rev4, and that’s too expensive for me at the moment. Take 5 seems like a worthy replacement, but I’ve had the Mopho x4 and Tetra so long I’m starting to see them as classics in their own right. I end up using Repro over the Mopho/Tetra most of the time though, so I’m going to be looking into this one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wonder if this can do stereo voice panning like the prophet 6, or if there’ll be at take 10 version with double the voices.

Looks like they took it down from the web page up above. They’re trying to fix these leaks!

1 Like

Before it was taken down I copied the specs:

OSCILLATORS

• Two analog VCOs per voice
  • Continuously variable wave shape (sine, sawtooth, variable-width pulse) per oscillator
  • Hard sync: oscillator 1 syncs to oscillator 2
  • Square wave sub-octave generator (oscillator 1) per voice
  • Keyboard tracking on/off for each oscillator
  • Front-panel FM (frequency modulation)

MIXER

• Oscillator 1 amount
  • Oscillator 1 sub-octave amount
  • Oscillator 2 amount
  • White noise amount

LOW-PASS FILTER

• Four-pole, resonant, analog low-pass filter per voice, based on Prophet 5 Rev 4 design
  • Filter can be driven into self-oscillation with the Resonance control
  • Bi-polar filter envelope amount

ENVELOPES

• Two 5-stage envelope generators (ADSR + delay) with variable routing (filter, amplifier, gate)
  • Velocity modulation of each envelope amount
  • Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations

LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR

• Five wave shapes: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, and random (sample and hold)
  • Clock sync (internal or external MIDI clock)
  • Freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations

DIGITAL EFFECTS

• One dedicated reverb with damping, pre-delay, decay and tone
  • One multi-effect with stereo delay, BBD delay, tape delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter
  • Dedicated Overdrive effect

VINTAGE KNOB

• Recreates the characteristics of vintage synthesizers by introducing micro-fluctuations in oscillators, filter, and envelopes per voice.

AFTERTOUCH

• Source: channel (mono) aftertouch with bi-polar amount
  • Aftertouch freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations

CLOCK

• Master clock with tap tempo
  • BPM control and display
  • MIDI clock sync

ARPEGGIATOR

• Up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
  • Syncs to MIDI clock
  • Re-latching arpeggiation

SEQUENCER

• Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps with ties and rests

PERFORMANCE CONTROLS

• Full-sized, semi-weighted, 3.5-octave premium Fatar keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
  • Spring-loaded pitch wheel with selectable range per program with independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range transpose controls
  • Low-split mode creates two independent performance zones with different octave ranges
  • Hold switch latches held notes on
  • Polyphonic glide (portamento)
  • Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count, from one to all five voices, and key modes
  • Factory switch: when off, the front panel is live; what you see is what you hear

PATCH MEMORY

• 128 user and 128 factory

IN/OUT

• 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI Out, and 1 MIDI Thru port
  • USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
  • 1 Sustain/footswitch input
  • 1 Expression pedal input
  • Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
  • Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)

POWER

• IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
  • Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz; 14 watts maximum power consumption

PHYSICAL SPECS

• Premium, 3.5-octave, semi-weighted Fatar keyboard
  • 25″ L x 12.75″ W x 4.4″ H (63.5 cm x 32.4 cm x 11.2 cm)
  • Weight: 17 lbs (7.7 kg)
10 Likes

The low split feature looks cool, and a good way for some to deal with a shorter keyboard. You have the regular octave buttons, then the low split buttons presumably drop the left part of the keybed down an extra one or two octaves.

1 Like

It’s too late, Dave:

Give us the manual already! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl: Surrender your manuals!

3 Likes

Hmmm… this was unexpected. Small P5ish poly synth with some FX and a sequencer, that looks like a Pro 3… Weird.

Pro 3 body, Rev 2 screen, Prophet 5 filter

2 Likes

Quite compelling if it‘s really around 1k.

4 Likes

Yeah, it definitely seems like they were shooting for a lower price point with this one, which is good.

I do hope they do poly Pro 3 at some point. It would be nice having wavetables, and multiple filters. I can see why they might not have an OB filter, with already having the OB-6, and possibly an upcoming OB-X, but it would be cool to have that moog style filter with bass compensation as an option on a poly.

This may also mean that they are going to do a wavetable poly synth at this price point as well. Maybe opening the door to a new lineup of more affordable synths.

1 Like

For anyone who didn’t find this already.

Don’t bother with his video. He’s just speaking out loud what’s already in the article. Nothing new in the visuals

2 Likes

this is pretty interesting but also something i definitely don’t need. awesome!

5 Likes

… in 5/4 time. Not many sequencers nowadays are set up to do 5/4 easily. :wink:

I’m betting someone talked to the Brubeck family, just to make sure there wasn’t any big objection. I wouldn’t expect there would be.
I wonder if Dave Smith ever met Dave Brubeck ?

4 Likes

Rev 2 looks much better.

6 Likes

Not a fan of the design. Pro 2 also looked much better than pro 3.
The prophet 5 filter should make up for it :grimacing:

7 Likes

Maybe Moog will announce a MemoryMoog at a reasonable price eh ? Here’s to me hoping

2 Likes

I’m certainly interested to hear how it sounds, but the name… :grimacing: For some reason I really don’t like the name, feels like it should be on a brightly coloured children’s keyboard.