Sequential resumes Prophet-5

This is P10 and Modor NF-1 for all sounds.

2 Likes

imo … repro hands down

Nothing beats the resonating wood of the original hardware :cool:

2 Likes

I had the pleasure to try a Prophet 10 at the last Synthfest France.
First thing I did was looking for the reverb knob to tame it, as it was all over the sound and I wanted the pure analog sound.
Took me some time to figure out there was no such knob. Or rather that it was weirdly labelled “release”.

3 Likes

It’s astonishing how dominant the mono output of P10 sounds on its own. If you need any effect with P10, it will be a good delay.

2 Likes

I have a good delay. That only needs a little P5 desktop module.

2 Likes

Make it a P10 desktop if you can :cool:

1 Like

I’ll have to sell a lot of things to get there…

:joy:

My P5 Desktop is still one of my top 5 best ever synth purchases.

If I want to make it a P10 I can buy the expansion board. But so far I haven’t needed the extra board.

Apparently the new Softube emulation requires iLok. iLok would not be a non-starter for me but it can be for other people. Having the desktop P5 already is my real non-starter. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I can’t decide which I like better, the OB-X8 or the prophet 5/10. They both sound amazing, but the OB has stereo output going for it, sounds amazing for pads.

1 Like

I don’t need the expansion board right now. Those things you mention have been mentioned on this thread many times before, so believe it or not I’m aware of them.

I did not deliberately attempt to dissuade @LyingDalai from considering the P10. He commented on my post and we had a little discussion about the release knob. How anyone could interpret that as “don’t buy a P10” is beyond my understanding.

As for the redundant information, it exists because it was posted by people who didn’t search before posting. Just human nature, is all.

well, great, let’s move on with our lives then

I wonder if the prophets will see another update, maybe closer to pro800 or pro16 release. Resonance compensation, round robin, velocity amount and voice stacking/splitting have all made the synth twice what it was for me… would use the heck out of per-patch alternate tunings and voice allocation, modulation amount per destination, an arp or whatever they could throw into it. Resonance compensation I could have never conceived of, but what it has done for my unison basses can’t be understated

What does it do? Is it on the latest version? I may be one version behind.

1 Like

here’s the latest release notes: Newest Prophet 5/10 Main OS 2.0.4 and Panel OS 1.1.3

gotta say I don’t make use of most of these currently. glad they’re in there so that others can, though! the synth was already plenty for me right out of the gate…

3 Likes

It allows you to control the amount of bass when using filter resonance. Usually the bass is decreased when using resonance, so you can’t do fat basses that have the extra high end definition or squelch afforded by resonance.

With the latest update, you can switch on filter compensation in Globals, and then hold the rev switch while pressing program switches 1-8 to add back bass.

A note is that switching this on decouples filter compensation from the Vintage knob algorithm. Typically the amount of compensation changes according to the vintage setting, but switching compensation on allows you to adjust it independently (and clearly).

2 Likes

Here a cheat sheet I’ve created for 2.0.4:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,6295.0.html#msg60767

2 Likes

yeah see this is part of why I haven’t gotten into these options… I hate options that I have to look up the firmware notes or have a cheat sheet to be able to access and edit. the P5 has a simple interface and I love that. but these options are difficult to get to via that. they’d be better in an interface like the Rev2’s, for example.

1 Like

I totally understand your perspective. Because I use the features constantly I remember the shortcuts easily, but if you don’t or you’re juggling gear or just want the extra mental space to not have to recall those extra feature shortcuts, they’re not that handy. But they’re easy to avoid too so no loss for the knob per function, what you see is what you get Prophet purist. I think it’s a smart compromise and the extras have been integral in my sound design.

2 Likes