Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Yeah, I don’t go over there too much either. The one good thing about GS is that there a couple of Sequential employees that are somewhat active on the threads.

3 Likes

Beyond the comparison, holy hell this guy nailed the 1980s aesthetic.

6 Likes

It is still analog fm, all the cv signals are converted to digital and converted back. This is different then poly mod where the modulation never leave the voice card, it is never converted to a digital signal. Besides it sounding different, I know this because I asked sequential this very question.
None of it matters really, if you like it then right on, don’t get hung up on details because each synth has many many differences both good and bad, pointless to compare stats…
Like I said most analog polys work like the take five, it is not really bad. Also, take five is doing the fm at very fast rates.

4 Likes

Funny how commenters asked him about reverb, when the built-in release/hold has such long release time that you can introduce a reverb-like ambiance without any FX - if you wanted to.

2 Likes

Noticing an extreme drop in volume for some patches when Velocity is set to AMP.

What could I be missing here? I shouldn’t need to set a velocity curve so I get broader dynamic range right?

I’d check but I’m in the middle of a move, won’t be able to touch baby until jan9th :frowning:

I asked Sequential support if they will add MPE support to the Prophet 5/10. Here’s their reply:

“Several customers have already requested that MPE be added to the Prophet 5/10, so I will add your vote to internal feature request list. Although I cannot guarantee if or when such a feature would be added to a future OS, your vote will be seen by our software team.”

The more users are asking, the more likely it is that they will add it.

support@sequential.com

3 Likes

ok, I’ll vote for you if you vote for my intelligent randomizer request

3 Likes

Best attempt of that patch that I heard so far

6 Likes

Granted, it’s like trying to attempt to recreate a classic Hammond organ sound… with a Hammond organ.

2 Likes

I’d be more inclined to choose the Prophet 6 over the 5 since it’s stereo and has a decent sequencer, arp and onboard effects. But I wish that they had made the P6 with a full 5 octave 61 keyboard. That’s the weak point of it for me.

Funny, I have a p6 desktop and I’m thinking of selling/trading it for a P5 desktop.

1 Like

I’d love a full sized P10 keyboard to pair up with my Oberheim OB X8. I don’t need sequencer since Hapax takes care of that.

I have the Take 5, which I love, but am secretly hoping the Pro-800 will share some of the P5 character/simplicity (which would be nice to have in addition to the Take 5). Some of the discussions on Gear Space from testers suggest the Pro-800 might be sonically closer to the P5 than the Prophet 600, but I don’t really know the details of why that is (it has disappointed some people that want a perfect 600 clone).

heads up!!! Update

4 Likes

Firmware update coming? I did get an email from one of my patch vendors that Sequential was investigating a few bugs.

A nice update – but dissapointing at the same time regarding “Expressivity”. They added MPE with external controllers more than two years ago for the Prophet-6 and OB-6. Why does it take them so long to do the same for the Prophet 5/10?

1 Like