Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Yep. It’s a luxury really because I already have a P6. Don’t need 10 voices. Might just be a case of GAS

1 Like

Just might. :wink: In the case of a P5 totally understandable though.

1 Like

I’m very happy with my P5. It does have a lot of limitations compared to expectations on a modern synth but the whole range of the thing is a massive sweet spot, it all just sounds good.

2 Likes

I vaguely recalled some chatting about bitrimbrality and it’d be great, but if they can get it working, it’ll be a surprise and there’s absolutely no timeline if so :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

yeah? I never recalibrate mine. I don’t move it from the studio though and it’s at a controlled temperature/humidity so maybe that helps. this compared to when I had 70’s era MiniMoogs (in the same environment) and I had to manually tune 'em after 30 minutes of warm-up, and then every 30 minutes thereafter…

I don’t really have any major tuning problems with any of my VCO-based synths. vintage Moogs are notoriously bad for this though. vintage Roland, Korg, and Arp aren’t too bad. let 'em warm up a bit and make sure you tune 'em before recording and generally they’re fine.

1 Like

More often than not, I retune once per session. I don’t mind, tho.

1 Like
3 Likes

I had a budget-altering experience, going to my freshly post-pandemic re-opened music store. After listening to probably every single YT video and Soundcloud recording, and reading everything written about the P10 in this thread and many other places, I went to the store with the intention to lay hands on the actual instrument one last time before I would order it. Just to realize that, no, I actually don’t really want this synth. While I still love a lot of what people do with it, the magic just didn’t happen for me playing it – for sure not 4,5k € of magic. And playing (as opposed to sequencing) is becoming more and more my focus.

Instead, I started flirting heavily with the Udo Super 6, and with Rhodes sounds on various stage pianos they had in the store. The nice thing about not lusting for a P10 anymore is that I could theoretically buy an Udo Super 6 and a mid range stage piano a la CP88 for the price of a P10. But the pretty red Nords are tempting as well. (As a side note, researching the subject of Nords I realized that the stage piano crowd is harshly divided into haters and lovers – to a degree I never experienced in the synth or modular community.)

4 Likes

The guys on Keyboard Corner are super picky about stage pianos, from the general feel of the keybed, to the key travel, to the “finger to ear connection”, etc. And yeah, they’re just as suspect to tribalism as other communities. The older guys are still confused why some of us get excited about analog synths that they consider obsolete compared to the latest Korg Kronos and Roland Fantom models.

4 Likes

people are people so why should it be…
-DepecheMode

after this fit of temporary insanity passes, go get that P10 :smile:

P5 desktop for me but otherwise I agree

1 Like

Nice setup. I have the same :slight_smile: can you help me out the settings on Octatrack and the prophet to Midi sequence it? Somehow it does not work for me. What are the global parameters on prophet? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming you have connected the MIDI Out port of the OT to the MIDI In port on the P5, then the only Global setting you need to make on the P5 is to set “MIDI channel” to (any) particular value and make a note of that value.

On the OT, select one of the MIDI sequencer tracks, select the MIDI channel number that corresponds to the P5 and remember to confirm it, and record some trigs on the sequencer track.

2 Likes

Just traded something else for a Prophet 10 desktop module.

Holyyy molyyyy, this thing is awesome. Firstly, it is truly, as they say, “built like a tank”. First new synth with metal-shaft, panel mounted pots that I’ve seen in awhile. In mono- or unison- mode it holds up in the mono-synth department to my buddy’s bro-1. 10 voice unison just sounds insane. This is the type of synth that makes me think about selling a lot of my other gear.

9 Likes

How does the P5 / P10 perform regarding deep bass? It is clicky like the P6 can be? I love the bass tones of my P6 and you can avoid that clicky when giving a bit more attack on the vca envelop. But still, a triangle bass for dub music is a bit of love and hate.

What did you trade??

1 Like

Oberheim TVS Pro, and got some cash back in the trade as well

Will add, the tuning on this thing out of the box is pretty terrible. Apparently it’ll settle down as you calibrate it at different temperatures, but as it is I have to tune it every 20 minutes (and it takes 2 minutes to tune!)

1 Like
2 Likes

Scroll up and you might find circuitghost’s tracks running P5 through looping stuff

1 Like

I took that sucker through the Chase Bliss stuff and then straight into the Blackbox. Never came back quite the same.

2 Likes