Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Decksaver needs to know if it is good business making a deck saver for prophet 5/10. So please, if you have a minute, write them on info@decksaver.com requesting one, so we can get it in production.

I guess it would also fit the old rev1, 2 and 3’s, right?

1 Like

Well, honeymoon’s over. I love the damn thing but I keep coming back to the Prophet 12 all the time.

This might be the last time I jump on a synth, any synth, unless it really provides for some kind of interesting song writing environment as well.

1 Like

Would you say it’s a matter of overlap between the two Prophets and you being so familiar with the P12? Not that there’s probably anything keeping you away from the P5.

1 Like

Nope, not overlap, they’re very different, even within the Sequential realm. It’s just I’m getting all the sounds I want and need from the Prophet 12, so the 5’s not filling a void, cause there never was one. It does sound very different from the 12 so they take up different spaces, but I’m finding, it’s not time for me to visit Prophet 5 space to any larger extent just yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually went back and reread your posts. You compared the P5 to the P6, but never to the P12 until now. I guess that was an early sign already.

You made some good music on the P5 while you had it, and I’m sure the next owner will be very happy, especially if they’re Octatrack owners

1 Like

Another option for covers

I think it says a lot about the capabilities of workhorse synths that have loads of modulation. Same reason my Pro 2 gets so much use while other synths seem to come and go.

2 Likes

Thanks :blush: I’m still keeping the P5, won’t let it go that easily. But like @AdamJay says, there’s something to be said about the shifts and movements of a modulation beast.

3 Likes

It’s why my MKS-70 magically transformed itself into a Hydrasynth KB, as well. Hot tubs are cozy and all, but there is so much more to explore in a pool with a deep end. (No offense to anyone who wants to hang out in a hot tub all day, though. I mean, what luxury!)

4 Likes

You sporting a Hydrasynth these days?

Hmmmm …

No offense taken.

4 Likes

If only there was a Sequential analog-poly modulation beast. Hmmm. :thinking:

4 Likes

Tempest is something along those lines. It has two VCOs after all. Two LFOs and a fairly comprehensive mod matrix.

1 Like

I’ll admit, the last time I looked at Tempest was back in 2017. I ended up siding with the Rytm for the more sophisticated sequencer, but you’re right, I should run through the manual in a bit.

As far as my comment goes, I suppose I was primarily being a bit silly in reference to Rev2. I picked mine up a couple months ago and really enjoy it. :slight_smile:

Here’s a clip of one of the earlier patches abusing the gated seq a bit more than I’d previously heard. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Rev2’s a lovely piece of kit. Bu it’s not a VCO. I know I’ll take some heat for saying so, but I’m saying it anyway :sunglasses:

With that said, it is a lovely piece of kit.

2 Likes

I understand — People look to analog to escape resolution. DCO’s then read as a half-measure to most.

Personally, as a gigging musician who’s had a bit of experience with VCO’s in my Rytm, I very much appreciate the control DCO’s afford me in terms of reliable/ repeatable tunings/ behavior. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, for sure. It’s with a forced smile I recalibrate my Prophet 5 for the third time that evening. Charming is the most generous, and least truthful way, of describing it :blush:

5 Likes

Does anybody know whether the P10 will likely eventually support bitimbrality / splits / layers? Or is this just idle speculation? Wondering whether to wait and see or just buy a P5.

I would set expectations and buy for the synth that exists today. I don’t think the architecture supports this that i recall but i’ve never checked out the service manual for the mk4, perhaps someone could correct if that is the case!

IIRC, both bitimbrality and upgrading the Prophet 5 from 5 to 10 voices have been hinted at by Sequential but I agree with @thermionic that it’s wise to buy the synth for what it is and not for what it might become.

3 Likes