Sequential Pro 3

Yep that reverb sounds lovely doesn’t it. I love synths with included FX.

No doubt the Pro 3 sounds great and it’s packed with features, however, I still haven’t heard anything from it (so far) that amazes me like the Subsequent 37 does. Maybe it’s too soon and it’s not on the hands of the right people yet.

I’m in the market for a monosynth right now and I’m going to have a tough time deciding between this and the Subsequent 37.

1 Like

I know quite a few people who are happy with their Sub37/Subsequent 37.

I do know one guy that later sold his and replaced it with a Prophet 6. He originally just wanted an analog synth for bass parts, and relied on his Korg SV-1 for the rest of his sounds. But then later he started wanting to be able to add melody and chords to the bass parts on the analog side.

I got the standard one today. I played the SE in store before Covid started and it’s gorgeous, but I couldn’t justify the price difference. I sold an ob6 to get this instead. It’s really fantastic. I love how immediate it is. I’ve had a sub 37 too. That was amazing and powerful but felt less immediate, especially in the sequencer department.

3 Likes

Interesting. May I ask why you’d go this route? No offense implied – I’m genuinely curious, as either of these synths would be dream machines for me.

2 Likes

RMR:

3 Likes

Any recursive modulation experts here? Particularly in regards to envelopes modulating envelope parameters?

I get the basic idea of it, but so far it seems too unpredictable and overall ‘not worth it’.

Any tips on getting the most out of this and learning how to do it consistently?

Noooooo!! Why?

If you modulate an envelope stage with itself, you effectively change the curve of that stage: i.e. positive amounts will give you a concave curve (snappier envelope), negative amounts result in convex curves (more boom). :wink: And if those parameters are mapped to velocity, etc… Well, ya, lots of useful and otherwise musical stuff can be done there.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Appreciate your response.

I will try and be more specific, as I already understand what you said.

What is…

• the attack stage of an attack envelope?
  • the decay stage of an attack envelope?
  • the sustain stage of an attack envelope?
  • the release stage of an attack envelope?

And of course this question applies to decay and release as well. The Pro 3 has Aux envelopes that we can apply to any of the VCA or VCF envelope parameters. I’m just trying to wrap my head around how this specifically works.

Ob6 is probably the best sounding synth I ever played. But for the money I got a peak and a pro 3 instead.

I think you must have your terminology confused here. Assuming the Pro3 is like every other DSI synth, what you should be seeing in the Mod Matrix is as follows:

Sources - Amp Env, Filter Env, Aux 1 Env, etc. (no specific stages specified).

Destinations - Amp Env Attack, Amp Env Decay, Amp Env Release, etc. (and so on for all the other envelopes).

Thus, you could apply, say, the Amp Env (in its entirety) to the Decay stage (specifically) of one of the other envelopes, in order to change the curve of just that particular stage.

An example of how that might be applied musically, would be to use a second mod-slot to map velocity to the amount of modulation above, which would have the affect of making the sound either snappier (if you use a positive amount) or fatter and rounder (if you use a negative amount) the harder you hit the keys. It would also be useful, in this case, to use a third mod-slot to apply velocity in redundancy directly to that same envelope’s Decay stage, such that you could then also control the length of the Decay/Release stage as the envelope’s curvature changes…

Percussion Synthesis 101. :wink:

Anyway, hopefully that helps clarify things for you. If not, perhaps I’m not understanding the question.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Those are both wonderful synths too :wink:

I understand using the modulation matrix to apply VCA or VCF envelope positively or negatively to an envelope parameter (A D or R).

I’m not referring to the modulation matrix here though.

The Pro 3 has a dedicated VCA and VCF envelope but also 2 additional AUX envelopes, assignable to just about anything. I want to understand what is going on when I apply an AUX ADSR envelope to VCA Envelope Decay for example. I don’t understand the relationship properly.

It’s very easy for me to understand how to apply an AUX envelope to Pulse Width for example. I know what going on with the ADSR parameters in relation to the Pulse Width. It’s easy to control, to visualize.

I don’t understand how ADSR parameters relate to something like a VCA decay stage.

Example:

Aux Envelope applied to VCA Envelope Decay Parameter: +20 amount

How do the AUX envelopes ADSR parameters affect the VCA envelope’s decay stage?

What does it mean to apply Release to decay? Etc

I’m not sure exactly of what you’re going for but part of the problem could be the synth itself. The envelope params don’t work properly as mod destinations on my Pro2 and it seemed to be a pretty well documented bug that Dave never cared to fix. trying to modulate anything would make it snap to the minimum value regardless of the direction of modulation +/- and would get there in like 2 steps. lol so I just came to terms with that being something it (pro2) couldn’t do.

On the theoretical side I suppose if the pro3 has looping envelopes you could have the aux env. doing some kind of looping modulation in an uneven way sort of like modulating a maths or other function gen. in Eurorack

Well, regardless of which envelope you use as your source, or which destination you choose to target, the result will be a bending or gradation of the curvature of whatever envelope stage is being modulated; thought to what mathematical end, I couldn’t tell you exactly.

Assuming this functionality is even working properly (see above post), I would simply suggest setting really long attack, decay, and release times on the destination envelope, such that you can better hear what’s happening to its curvature over time as it’s being modulated (if it’s being modulated).

That said, if it’s not working on the Pro2… Gosh, it wouldn’t be like DSI to build a new synth on the shaky foundation of previous blunders. :wink:

Ahem!

Cheers!

1 Like

Huh, they all seem to work for me, I can apply envelop or lfo to attack decay or release on my envelope and get the results I would expect on my Pro 2. I got mine pretty late into the game so maybe it was addressed in an update at some point?

they will either cause the decay to have + or - parameter to it over a given time just keep in mind your aux envelope is also triggering at the begging of your Gate or key press and the effect on your decay won’t really matter until the decay stage of your envelope, it would potentially give it some odd curve though.

Generally you will only be modulating an envelope to itself if you are looking for new curves as everything is all lined up, no real need to use an aux envelope unless you are after something odd like a secondary attack in the decay phase.

It is easiest to hear and understand what is happening if you test out all these settings with an envelope set to pitch so I would highly recommend just testing all sorts of things out with a pitch envelope to get a better understanding of the motions you are generating

*edit also worth noting you aren’t effecting the parameter you hear directly, a decay envelope is always in decay you are just effecting the speed of decay there is no upward movement, so what I said about a secondary attack is more like a secondary slowing on a decay you won’t ever get an upwards motion.

2 Likes

I have the last firmware on it as I got it right as they were discontinued

I keep looking for reasons to order one of these. Is the keyboard such that it could comfortably serve as a main midi keyboard? Is the keybed pretty good quality? I rarely use more than three octaves at a time, and I know it has aftertouch. Seems like it might be a decent centerpiece.

Yes it is plenty good enough to serve as a main MIDI keyboard if you are fine with a 3 octave keybed. Fatar TP-9S. Same keybed found on the Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet X. (I actually sent an email to Sequential about the keybed before I purchased it)

1 Like

Help me decide … standard or LE? I have had one of each in my cart for the past few days and keep going back on forth on which to get. Regardless of price, which would (or did) you choose and why? Anyone regret the model they chose? In pictures I do prefer the look of the standard one for some reason. Maybe in person I would feel differently? This would never leave my studio by the way.