Sequencer for a polysynth?

Hey everyone,

So I just got a poly, my first ever proper synth beside modular. It’s an OB6 module. I was thinking for a start I might use my Octatrack to sequence it. I need to force myself to try more but so far it’s a bit like the time I tried to sequence my modular with it; I don’t like it, have zero fun with it, find it very uninspinring. I love my Octatrack and I think it’s fantastic for programming drum patterns but midi sequencing “pitch” not so much.

Every modular sequencer I’ve tried that was a bit deep and complicated it was sort of the same result; didn’t like it. My favourite sequencers are old school knob or slider sequencers (think DFAM or Verbos Voltage Multistage; Intellijel Metropolis, Doepfer Dark Time etc).

So I’m wondering if something of the sort exists for polysynth or if I’m better off using chord mode and a mono sequencer like Dark Time, or just use a DAW (checked quickly and there’s this one called Stepic which seems interesting but DAW wouldn’t be my first choice). I’m asking because although I’m well versed in modular, I’m a total n00b in sequencers and synths and don’t really know what’s out there.

Basically I’m looking for a hands on sequencer for my OB6 module.

Quite important I guess, it is in the aim of making techno such as this; so I don’t need elaborate chord progression etc…

Pyramid

Hapax

2 Likes

Analogue Four

1 Like

DAWs are obviously superior to hardware when it comes to sequencing polyphonic material. Just depends on whether you can be bothered to integrate one and deal with software updates, poor midi clock issues, etc etc.

The midi implementation on A4 is piss poor. An afterthought.

4 Likes

I suggest a midi keyboard + OT. You don’t have to be a keyboard player for it to boost your workflow substantially.

3 Likes

Maybe one of the Arturia Keystep products.

1 Like

Maybe a CVto midi converter could be something for you… Befaco has two which people swear by.

Other then That I swear by the OP-Z as the best sequencer for chords. It’s a hill I’m willing to die on!

1 Like

Everyone recommending Elektron sequencers…with the exception of the Digitone, I believe, the usual Elektron sequencer has a 4-note polyphony limit per step…less than ideal for an OB6 or any other polyphonic synthesizer with more than 4-note polyphony for that matter.

I recently got my Hapax and am totally enamored with it, so here goes that recommendation.

Alternatively an Oxi One if you don’t need the track count of the Hapax or a Squarp Pyramid if you don’t need a grid (Hapax/Oxi One).

Last but not least, you could buy an MPC One / Live and use that to midi sequence your OB6, eg with a midi keyboard going into the MPC One and routed via a midi track to the OB6….but that would be more like a DAW experience / less hands on.

1 Like

Midibox seq

Torso T-1 looks really cool. Also the Polyend Play.

1 Like

True but thinking the OP could use it for drums for his techno music so killing two birds….

1 Like

I found the OT + Rev2 especially frustrating. Others like it. I sold my Rev2 but the frustration which lead to the sale was at least in part because of the OT.

I like threads like this for ideas. The OXI1 caught my eye. The Pyramid did too, for a while, but I strongly suspect it’s screen and UI will be too small for me. If you have good vision, it’s worth researching.

Do you know how the Digitone differs from the others? I scanned the manual but it wasn’t clear to me.

1 Like

I have found the Launchpad Pro MK3 to be fun for poly synths.

1 Like

It sounds like you don’t like the “one dimensional” nature of most sequencers. Therefore I suggest the OXI One. It can do both, modular and MIDI very well. There’s a dedicated thread in this forum.

1 Like

I’d also think towards the two Squarps - I have a friend that uses the Pyramid for melodic and chord stuff; with a Keystep into the Pyramid.

T-1 seems to me like an inspiring sequencer. I haven’t looked into how well it does chords/polyphony. But it might fit your kind of polymetric music.

8 voices of polyphony on each midi track

1 Like

My vote goes to Hapax or anything like it (Oxi One, Deluge, Polyend Play).

I like being able to see all the notes at once personally. I love the Elektron sequencer but not for chords.

Hapax also gives you things like MIDI Lfo and Envelopes which can super charge your sound design and give you so much more to work with.

2 Likes

For both modular and OB6, I’d say Oxi One for sure.

3 Likes