Sell Me On The Octatrack

I echo this form recent experience, my sampling input chain is much better than before. Early days I sampled from iPad straight in. These days I take the ‘record out’ from my mixer (-6db) into heat 2. This is amber/red on the OT inputs and sounds like what I hear going in. Makes a huge difference and slays the ghost of my sp16.

1 Like

Noobie OT user coming from an MPC Live.

OT is way more inspiring and fun to write on. MPC Live, I feel has less discovery, you kinda have to know what you want, and you can definitely do it on the MPC Live which I have found isn’t always the case with the OT.

The OT is a pain in the ass to learn, I’ve had it for 5 days and I’m just limping along, but outside of all the hard edges that you bang up against learning ( and theres a lot, and they are really fucking hard edges), I prefer sequence based writing. I had a digitakt for a month that showed me the value in this process. MPC Live is a blank page you have to fill, OT is a process of creative discovery. For me at this stage, I can’t do what I want but I find cool sounding shit on the OT. With the MPC, at least for me, I didn’t “find it” or stumble on it, and I dead ended a lot. It is however easier to learn and feels more intuitive.

I hated the touch screen on the MPC Live, the X maybe better with more knobs to do the work your fingers get drawn to the screen to do.

But I wish it had overbridge, Cause getting this shit in the DAW is gonna be a pain, and I’m not 1000% sure I can do it all in OT, and I’m studio based. I will say this, it midi locks with Logic perfectly, which isn’t the case with the MPC Live unless you use their software ( which is basically a DAW) that I never gelled with. It always felt clumsy to me.

The other thing, and this was huge, was I just found more people made music I liked on the Elektron gear than on the Live. More complex electronica, more far out trippy shit. I just want to rip off Moroder early jan Hammer and Tangerine Dream with a hard techno beat which you can do on the OT.

Also, the user support of Elektron products is fantastic. A lot of really smart people in these forums willing to help. It’s an amazing culture and the community is a big part of whats keeping me going.

It’s liberating not having blank pages in front of me creatively, and who knows, maybe this 50 year old hippie will be doing techno sets down the road.

Anyway I have an MPC Live for sale if anyone is interested, haha. 500 gig card with a ton of sounds and expansions!

4 Likes

Take it from a 51 year old techno punk… Perseverance is your best friend.

2 Likes

I use an AH on my master… Almost have OB working on it. I just have to spend another few hours, when I have time, setting it up right. Almost had it the other day (it sounded great. No glitches on Win10), but I couldn’t get the settings right and I got sick of trying to figure it out and went back to making music…That’s an option. think I payed 450 for my used almost mint AH.

What is AH??

Analog Heat

1 Like

But you’re still not isolating your tracks from the OT are you? Like, are you recording 8 tracks at a time running through the AH?

Yes, but if I get it working I can record each track individually…Not all at the same time, but aint trying to be Led Zeppelin, I’m just making experimental music. If I were trying to to do something like multi track recording, I’d just rent a studio or something.

I have 2 zeppelin tattoos. So, just so I’m clear, you can run the ot through the ah and parcel out the 8 tracks OT through the ah Overbridge? If I’m comprehending this right I will by an ah tomorrow.

I could use some grit.

Wait for 1 year to start complaining! :smile:
I think 2 month is a minimum to get more comfortable.

4 Likes

There is no way to record more than the 4 outputs with the OT unless you record the tracks on the internal recorder buffers.

Unless im missing something huge about the AH…

After you learn it you’ll forget all about the suffering you went through enjoying the things you can then do with the OT.

4 Likes

If all audio ends up in your computer it makes sense to want overbridge, it would be easy to multi-track into software & it doesn’t cost anything. I’m sure you know there are many ways to multi-track, so I would keep that in the back of your mind.

If you fall in love with the OT you just might be willing to buy an audio interface with multiple inputs or track out 1 track at a time or even be fine with just recording the master outs.

There are so many ways you can incorporate the OT into your set up, but of course you would have to love the OT enough to put effort into finding the best way.

I wouldn’t say in love yet, and the sex isn’t great yet, but I can’t get my hands off of it, so something is happening! I actually have a UAD 8p so I have the ins, but honestly in this Elektron intro month I have actually been writing more music than I have with that fuckn logic page in from of me.

This process, of not looking at timelines is really amazing.

1 Like

I think they meant use AH to get Overbridge working nicely with the computer and be in perfect sync with the DAW transport, then soloing each OT track and recording it in one stereo track at a time. That’s what I’d do with OT tracks anyway.

1 Like

Yes this

Buy them all

Elektromon™ : gotta p-lock em all

1 Like

I have and love Logic for recording, editing and mixing. But even with some crazy great softsynths and whatnot, I found writing on it to be misery. Just no fun at all for me.

I have every goddamn soft synth and I’ve done more messing up patterns on these Elektron boxes in a month than years of tinkering in Logic in some pointless 8 bar loop I could never move.

1 Like