Sell Me On The Octatrack

Haha. Ive been described as FUNny. Does that count?

1 Like

Buy oneā€¦its sick.

1 Like

Personally I have loads of FUN using :elot: ā€¦ For me there is definitely a fun factor. Live slice/warp/auto remixā€¦ Scenes!.. SCENES!!! :smiley:
Making music with it is exciting and well, fun for meā€¦ Way moreso than before I had an OTā€¦
I could care less about what it doesnā€™t do, itā€™s way too much funā€¦ :rofl:

3 Likes

Buy 2, never leave home without them.

2 Likes

:warning: WARNING :warning:
Initially the FUN can only be had if you donā€™t care about what or how anything is working and just go for it with no idea what your doingā€¦ :joy: Once you start trying to do things your journey of learning how the OT works begins and often takes you way away from the FUN partā€¦ :upside_down_face: Having fun, hit brick wall, troubleshoot, learn, have fun again, hit brick wall, etcā€¦ Good news is with percerverence the OT makes sense and all manner of FUN can be had at willā€¦ It can be serious tooā€¦ :smiley:

7 Likes

Demonstration plz

3 Likes

Would love tooā€¦ :smile:
As Ryan knows, my music gear has been in storage since Aprilā€¦ I answer questions on here to keep things alive in my brain, and I like being part of the community even though currently tweaking knobs has been on holdā€¦ Must set up soon, would love to be emanating some sonic vibrationsā€¦ :monkey::loud_sound::notes::sparkles:

11 Likes

Iā€™m just talking about an external battery. Check the link I provided :slight_smile:

Just get one man thereā€™s nothing like it. Just picked up a mk2 after a couple of months gap after having to sell mine. I forgot how far into weird territory it takes me so quickly. I make hip hop with the OT, and shit loads of weird noises. Never had more fun doing so.

itā€™s not particularly common to make hip hop on OT but itā€™s slept on majorly for it. Slicing long samples with one encoder parameter locking the start point to steps makes it an absolute breeze, plus proper slicing if you want more detail.

you end up programming more but it allows you to do things you probably wouldnā€™t otherwise. Like rather than playing in a hat pattern on pads you might set a different track length and make it polyrhythmic then modulate the velocity with an LFO, maybe very subtle pitch modulation with another LFO. Youā€™ll end up making a whole lot of grooves you wouldnā€™t have made without it assuming you arenā€™t a professional drummer. Iā€™m using it with maschine and honestly the set up is a complete noise factory. Highly recommend it. It kind of goes without saying that OT lends itself to house and techno well.

If youā€™ve read the manuals and watched the videos and youā€™re looking into it then itā€™s already too late for you. No one really knows what it really does until they buy it. Stop watching the waves and jump in I say.

4 Likes

A little off subject, but would there be any unique benefits for pairing up an Octatrack with a digitakt? What roles would each device serve in that situation?

I would make the DT my dedicated 8 track drum machine and make my OT my centerpiece as well as handle loop samples (time stretch) and for live sampling anything external.

4 Likes

I love sampling my voice and favorite anime clips and twisting them into beats. That is what gets me excited for the OT plus it is a good backup drum machine with the many samples available.

1 Like

Similar to @amku, Iā€™d initially use the DT to build drum patterns. Iā€™d probably record x bar lengths of these into the OT for playback/slicing. While playing ā€œliveā€ with the two hooked up Iā€™d probably use the DT more for leads and bass sounds. Absolutely loved turning any old sample into a lovely lead with the reverb/delay section of the DT. Over on the OT Iā€™d be doing whatever crazy shit itā€™s decided to show me at that point of time for the rest of it all!

Iā€™ve got an A4 which hasnt been getting much use at the moment that I plan to do the above with when using my OT. But no doubt about it, I will be getting a DT again at some point in the future.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

I think i am going to go with the OT and DT combo instead of the mpc x.

I can pretty much get both for the same price as the Mpc x.

I just dont feel happy with the Mpc, i actually think its an unfinished product, I think they rushed the release to try compete with the Maschine Mk3

I think the basis of the MPC is a good idea, but i will wait for a few features to be added, such as streaming from the HD. legato, hopefully vsts on the device.

4 Likes

I decided to sell my octatrack due to the strange quality of the sound. It has itā€™s own sound and you either like it or donā€™t. I wish it was as clean as a D.A.W. , then it would be perfect.

1 Like

Some tests (especially @avantronicaā€™s one) seem to prove OT is pretty neutral.
With default fx filter settings, sound is not neutral. Set fx to none.

A DAW depends on your sound card. Have fun with it! :jack_o_lantern:

7 Likes

And I advise to use 24 bits as much as you can.
Oh, and most of all turn time stretch off unless you really need it !

7 Likes

you missed a killer MPC update, onboard synths

If it was me, I would keep Maschine MK3 & get the Octatrack. You would have the best of both worlds. Itā€™s my planā€¦ I have the Mk3, I love it & want to get the Octatrack. Even tho Mk3 has to be plugged into my laptop, I still feel like Iā€™m using hardware, I never I have to touch my mouse or keyboard. The Octatrack would be great to experiment, create ideas, do crazy stuff, Mk3 is great for arrangingā€¦ then use the Octatrack for live play.

Since Octatrack doesnā€™t have Overbridge, you might want to see how the Octatrack plays with a DAW, but I already know for me, Iā€™m ok without Overbridge. & for me, I think they would go great together due to the different workflows & different features.

Thatā€™s still better than the 80MB or whatever you get with the OT. But yeah, you canā€™t have a DAW in a box without being able to record arbitrary lengths of audio.