Sell Me On The Octatrack

I have owned octa, digitakt and MPC live. What you are asking for is the MPC live with streaming function from the octa.

2 Likes

Apart from being able to easily jam in bed (something Iā€™ve never done), it sounds like the MPC X is the closest thing. I came close to getting one, but decided on the Octatrack because I wasnā€™t really looking for a DAW in a box

you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Honestly the MPC live is really a great idea and its what the industry needs, i just feel that they have missed out on so much basic functionality that it almost makes it a stupid product, i mean the technology is there and they just didnt do it or think about it

2 Likes

I wanted to get an MPC X so bad, but couldnā€™t justify it in the end.

1 Like

what made you walk away from the mpc x specifically

1 Like

The more I watched tutorials, the more I didnā€™t think it was for meā€¦mostly a workflow thing. I wouldnā€™t let that sway you though, itā€™s just a personal thing. I just canā€™t relate to MPCā€™s yet. They seem to have a lot of potential to make music though. Maybe some day Iā€™ll revisit that. Really, I want a box thatā€™s fun to jam on and is good for crazy experimenting and ā€˜happy accidents.ā€™ That led me to the Digitakt. Super fun, crazy possibilities and I love the midi sequencing. From there I got the Octatrack. Astounding, but not for everyone. I still finish most of my tracks in Logic, but enjoy doing all the early sequencing and whatnot on my Elektron boxes.
Thereā€™s a great YouTube channel called ā€˜The Daydream Soundā€™ I think. That dude is a Boombap lover and uses a lot of samplers, including the Octatrack. He might be a good person to ask

1 Like

Thanks for the advice :smiley:

It seems that you want the ultimate piece of gear, that is powerful and flexible as a pc, but with all the advantages of a physical ā€œInstrumentsā€œ. A laptop and a midi controller would probably fit best :wink:
But i totally get you, and to make it short, (because of lack of time).
Go for the Octatrack.

It does almost everything you mentioned, and a lot of the good stuff that can boost creativity are things that are not even obvious until you get one. The Octatrack changed my workflow. Playing with scenes, different parameter, trigger condition is something that made only sense to me, once i tried them out in context. Perfect weapon for Deep House and EDM in general.

2 Likes

Get an iPad.

3 Likes

Sounds like the MPC is the best fit for your goals. Octatrack is great and I own one and love it but it is more geared toward live performance than a DAW in a box. I tried both and while MPC is great, the Octatrack was better for me to do shows with.

1 Like

Another option is a laptop with Ableton Live and Ableton Push perhaps? I started with that setup and it is great but for a pure DAW in box the closest I have seen is MPC.

1 Like

Agree with some others, the OT does almost everything you listed, and whatever itā€™s missing, it makes up for in other creative ways.
Scenes, neighbor tracks, conditional trigs, 3 LFOs per track can turn 1 simple pattern into a complex evolving loop.
You can get into bizarre territory with things like the Mega Break of Doom set up, or the Monolith.
The OT might not do everything, but itā€™s SO much fun and weird.
I always thought it was like Live Lite in a box.

4 Likes

In practice you can load about 600mb of 44/16 audio samples, because all samples are converted to 32bits before going to ram. A big communication fail from Akai. And way too under-specified given the 8 audio tracks.

2 Likes

If you take MPC X as a choise maybe you have some ā‚¬sā€¦ So if i was you, il take MPC Live and Otatrack instead MPC X!
With theese 2 monsters you can go very deep

1 Like

The ā€œyetā€ is key here. Iā€™ve owned the MPC Live for more than a year, but only started ā€œtoleratingā€ (ā€œlikingā€ is still too strong) its workflow. I think it was due to me being an Elektron head for so long, the workflow really feels like a DAW, not as much as an immediate machine as the Elektron ones.

They have, and there is no way to use that machine if you start thinking about what they missed. But another way of seeing things is what the machine has to offer, and thatā€™s a lot.

Effects are mostly unusable, sure. Most default values are stupid, indeed. No edition of automation (at least in standalone) is a PITA, everyone agrees.
But you also get enough audio & midi tracks to get you started writing a whole album. You can layer samples. Mixing options are ok (would be so much better with decent FXs). It can interface with most other things with its decent audio and other I/O.
It took me a very long time to overcome all its shortcomings, accept them and move on without selling the box. But in the end, now that I have, I can pick between Elektron or MPC workflow depening on what works at the time. Wonderful !

If you really want something that feels like Abletonā€™s Arranger view, I guess thatā€™s the MPC. If you need something fast and experimentation-based like Abletonā€™s Session view, maybe the OT is a better fit.

2 Likes

Buy it. It is an amazing instrument, especially for live shows. It takes years to really master, as any decent instrument. I use it as a dj box on live shows. It doesnā€™t do hiccups, doesnā€™t go out on a whim, a darn stable machine which Iā€™ve learned to trust. Sequencer is fun, itā€™s a sampler which can play long files in sync, a stable clock source, and a friend :grin:
I like the OT.

3 Likes

Dittoā€¦ the idea is great, the touch interface is goodā€¦ but why no multitimbral mode ? why no automation edit ? no streaming ? memory too low for an 8 track recorder ?

Can someone give me a defintion of FUN. I keep seeing this word but its seems to be used for everything.

2 Likes

fun
/fən/
noun
enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.

6 Likes

Remind me not to party with you :slight_smile:

5 Likes