Select track on Digitone in mute mode?

But …

(Caveat: Not a DT or DN owner (yet) so I may have misunderstood)

1 Like

I can confirm the long-standing clusterf*** of a mute mode has finally been abandoned (weirdly with very little fanfare and maybe a red face or two?!) and they’ve essentially implemented the DT’s green global and purple pattern mutes.

It’s pretty quiet in here… I think when people cotton on there’s going to be a lot of happy people!

Thank you Elektron! : ) Good lobbying all.

We’ll now wait patiently for FUNC+TRK to select track during mute mode which now makes more sense that ever. Surely coming soon!?

1 Like

They swapped red and green and removed the mute status backlight colors and current sequence indicators (flashing white lights) in Normal Mode.

Previous OS versions:

• Normal (not mute) mode: Active selected track backlight is green, the other active tracks are white. When a track is Global Muted the backlight color is Red. When a track is Pattern Muted the backlight color is purple. When a track is both Pattern / Global Muted: The track backlight is blue.
  • With FUNC pressed, you can see the mute status of each track depending on the last selected Mute Mode.
  • Global mute mode: Enabled tracks backlight is red, the other tracks are dimmed.
  • Pattern mute mode: Enabled tracks backlight is purple, the other tracks are dimmed.

Since 1.41:

• Normal (not mute) mode: Selected track backlight is red, the other tracks are dimmed. There is no indication anymore if a track is Global / Pattern Muted with background colors.
  • With FUNC pressed, you can see the mute status of each track depending on the last selected Mute Mode.
  • Global mute mode: Enabled tracks backlight is green, the other tracks are dimmed.
  • Pattern mute mode: Enabled tracks backlight is purple, the other tracks are dimmed.

There is still no way to select a track in mute mode, but you can (and always could) mute a track in regular mode by holding Func+T(1 to 4), depending which mode was lastly selected in Mute Mode (global or pattern) or with PTN+T(1 to 4) for Pattern Mute.

5 Likes

Whatever it is they’ve changed, it is no longer confusing to me. I wouldn’t even be able to tell you what the different light states were exactly cause even after two years, they were too confusing for me to immediately recognize. The red/green mix just didn’t give you a clear indication whether you’re in track select, global mute or pattern mute mode. Now I just immediately understand without actively thinking. Track selection needing function is not a big deal to me, I also always do that on DT and DN.

3 Likes

Dunno if I’m an exception on this one, but I downgraded at the weekend to import an old sysex that wasn’t working on 1.40 and upgraded to what I thought was the version I’d been on, but was in fact this 1.41 that they put a few weeks ago. I’m actually mildly (only mildly :stuck_out_tongue: ) frustrated given how I’ve now got to spend a split second in my head translating the colour scheme to the one I was incredibly used to. Ah well, hopefully it works better for other people.

1 Like

The red and green being the “wrong” way around is/was a pretty big deal though. Just breaks all normal intuition…and especially when you compare with the DT. When they flip it you realise that it’s mainly that that was broken and hurting our heads.

Have they got rid of the weird blue track colour now too? I can’t make that happen yet. Really seems/ed pointless and just another cause of confusion and unnecessary complication. I think the idea was for when all mutes were unlit but aghhh.

Need to spend some time with it but for me this is a pretty big difference for this right-brained guy!

Def do still need select track in mute mode and still makes no sense to anyone but Elektron that you can’t…

1 Like

The other change made in the update is that the track buttons no longer flash the sequence contents in white in normal mode, but only while pressing FUNC or when in one of the mute modes.

2 Likes

I don’t like that change, i feel confused but I really enjoy the new color scheme, and the way that’s working now.

Yeah, any feedback in Normal Mode was removed (except for the active track). While this makes the implementation (and the understanding of it) simpler, I was actually liking this feedback. A toggle setting would have been nice.

2 Likes

I cannot understand from the colors what is global or pattern muted anymore like with the previous OS, ELEKTRON why?? quite unintuitive

Just remember that pattern muted is purple.

1 Like

Blue meant you had a global as well as pattern mute. Double muted

2 Likes

yeah, that was the case with the previous OS, now we don’t have the blue color anymore and when you are using PTN+T to access the pattern mutes, you can’t get immediate color feedback, you have to press FUNC to see it and you have to be in the right mute mode (eventually you have to switch to pattern mutes and then finally you can see what track is pattern muted)
with the previous version I just used global mutes with FUNC+T and PTN+T for pattern mutes and there was immediate colorization of the track in normal mode (like you mentioned even going blue if you have global and pattern muted your track). But this is gone now sadly , I will probably try to downgrade until this is eventually (hopefully) addressed.

Yeah, this was actually very useful. You could send an email to feature-request@elektron.se, I will do it too.

2 Likes