Scenes/Parts bug with pickup track

Thanks,

I someday tried the idea of a flex machine using the rec buffer in the next part, and it works like a charm, but I like to have the overdub still active when switching bank or part/pattern… so I got back to using pickup machines, and had to get rid of the habit to use scenes for the pickup track.

I can live with it for now, as it still is heavily powerful to transition with internal + external looping/overdubbing, leading very often to unknown improvised terrotories… and forces to better live tweaking skills!

Did you try this?

1 Like

I saw you wrote about that, but it’s an extra step I can’t afford in a live situation for now, as I’m still in the learning phase :slight_smile:

handling the pickup recording of cued tracks + something played on external synth manually while doing kindof transition trick to switch songs / banks and dealing with the EQs and Xfader to make sure the transition is smooth, while prepping the mutes on next song and reintroduce the next song’s tracks progressively… I can’t think of another step to add for now,

but I’ll keep your idea in mind for when I’m more used to all of this :smiley:

thanks again!

Just one more note on Pickup machines - just because you change the type of machine on a track, it doesn’t mean that the OT OS will clear the track settings. The consequence is that if you had a track set as a Flex machine and had recording and playback triggers and then changed the machine to be a Pickup, those triggers will still be there and influence the behavior of the Pickup machine.

The fact that you can set recording (and indirectly playback) triggers on Pickup machines sits somewhere between a bug and a feature. It’s not straightforward how they interact and I’ve seen a Pickup track influence the playback of another Flex machine track depending on what the active track is and when you press the main play/stop or Pickup machine record start/stop/overdub/play.

I just haven’t had the time and patience to map out whether using triggers on Pickup machines can help automate some things or just lead to headaches and heartaches. :grin:

3 Likes

Hey guys sorry to give a second breath to this topic but I need your help :sweat_smile:

I have unfortunately lock the scene B of my project (the light is up only for the scene A) making it not working at all.
I think that is because I was using my parts with scenes and the record buffer on one of my track.
When I create another project the problem is gone so it is not a technical issue but more kind of a bug maybe.
I have already try to reload my project and parts without changes.

Do you have any ideas how I could figure out this issue without deleting my project ?

How many other projects have you created on the same CF card?

My OT started locking up after I created over 10 projects - most of them admittedly being junk projects that I created while learning how to use the OT…

I deleted all the unused projects. The OT started working fine again after that.

I have only few projects since I don’t like to have too much at the same time.

Probably something you’ve checked but is the scene muted? Function and scene button. Or is the whole Octatrack locked up? I wasn’t sure.

1 Like

Thank you very much you solved my issue ! Seems like I learned a new Fn Commande.

God Bless You

Hello!

I got an Octatrack some weeks ago, and now i came across the exact same problem with pickup machines and scenes. Do you found a solution four years later? :smile: I noticed the problem only occurs when changing the pattern to another bank. Within the same bank everything works fine here.

Cheers!

If memory serves and based on what has been written in this thread, the “problem” is that the tracks don’t look up the current part until they are trigged. PU tracks don’t have trigs. Manually trigging the offending track via buttons 9-16 seems to have updated the track to work with the currently active part.

Mind you, in most cases it is probably better to handle the track/part relationship this way.