Scale Length - Pattern Switch

for a track i’m working on i have the octatrack set up as the master sending clock, transport, and pattern changes to the analog four.

on one of the pattern changes the analog four will not follow. specifically when i go to pattern 5.

i’m assuming it is one of the following issues…

[ol]
[li]differing scale lengths complicating things[/li]
[li]a certain setting attached to that pattern ordering automating future changes[/li]
[li]a bad incorrect midi setting. [/li]
[/ol]
obviously this is vague, but i’m hoping someone has had a similar issue and i can solve this problem without have to kill the song.

I’m having a similar problem with the OT and Analog Four.

A1 on the OT: 64 steps, 1:1 speed
A1 on the A4: 64 steps, 1:2 speed

If I then change to pattern A2, the OT will jump to the next pattern, but the A4 will play A1 for another 128 steps before changing to A2. The CHNG parameter does not help me achieve simultaneous pattern change… Can anyone help – has anyone got this working?

EDIT: some clarification:

When I say "but the A4 will play A1 for another 128 steps before changing to A2. " - I mean that the A4 will play through 64 of its half-speed steps, so basically 128 octatrack steps, if you know what I mean.

Hello,

it seems you had to fix the “Pattern change mode” to Direct Start :

DIRECT START will immediately change patterns. The new pattern will start playing from the beginning. This
mode is indicated by a red LED.
DIRECT JUMP will immediately change patterns. The new pattern will start playing from the position where the
previous pattern left off. This mode is indicated by a green LED.
SEQUENTIAL will change patterns after the currently playing pattern reaches its end. This mode is the default
mode. It indicated by an unlit LED.

1 Like

Hey sps!

Thanks – that could actually work in my case. I also manually triggered a pattern change on the A4 as a workaround.

In official news, I reported this to Elektron and they said it’s a known issue and I got the idea it’ll be fixed. No schedule, though.

Have to say, Elektron are good with handling bug reports – I’ve done two now and a prompt, clear response both times. So nice.

1 Like

MultiMap seems to be the better solution if you have a spare Midi track.

@sps

can you please confirm that those modes work with external Prg Chg?

I experienced that they work only with manual internal pattern switching.

They don’t work w/ ext prog change, you’re correct sicijk.

Been having this same issue, drives me nuts cos OT pattern arranger is so strong…varying the length or startpoint or number of repeats of the same pattern to make complexity w/o having to build a ton of different patterns, so nice. But makes playing w/ the other gear a PITA when the AK doesn’t want to follow nice.

So is the only workaround at this point to use multimap?
My understanding is that you map a key or keyrange to a range of patterns for changing…, then would send midiCC from the controlling device (in my case OT) corresponding with whichever pattern you want to change to? And in this case the Sequential/Direct/Jump modes in Func+Bankmode actually work. (they don’t change a thing when it comes to external pattern changing by other means).

Is that correct?

Which is still a bummer because it does still nerf the OT’s really strong arranger mode. You’d have to sneak midi trigs all over the place, meaning you couldn’t just willy nilly change pattern lengths/repeats/start points in OT arranger. Cos the AK/A4 needs told when to change manually, yes?

FWIW, I reported the bug to Elektron and they acknowledged it and said it was a bug they take seriously… Still, doesn’t mean we see a fix. ever. :-o

Right on, I read in another thread something like an explanation from a mod…sounds like it’s not a simple quick fix. Hopefully it does get a patch though, really kinks my workflow!

Wait wait wait…

Is this why no matter what I do, the A4 will not change patterns in sync with the OT if my pattern lengths are different?

After reading and re reading the manual about pattern change modes, hearing in and out about how these two machines were made for each other like peanut butter and jelly, hours trying to figure out if I am just crazy…

Wow.

So this was a known issue back in January. Has anyone heard an estimate from Elektron mods on when this is going to be fixed?