SB-1 Space Bee

I already have a SH01a (which I adore). I really want this because of they way its crafted. it’s so gorgeous.

4 Likes

Yeah same, I was particularly attracted to the form factor and bluetooth. When I was really looking at it I was travelling a lot for work and it woulda been perfect for chucking in a small bag. I’ll just see when they come out but I’ll just see whats happening then.

Oof, it looked great but I’m glad I didn’t Kickstart. I hope they release it and it’s an option to buy at some point though!

1 Like

I seem to be on my own … I didn’t like the look of this … monotone and flat.

I love it. would ave jumped at it when first announced, but now probably not so much.

who am I kidding, I’d still love it :partying_face:

1 Like

No if it was just the battery, they’d be on easy street. It’s hard to get much specifically from the very short updates, which have even been slipping lately. The latest said the firmware engineer had quit ( no reason given ). And with the new design and the new microcontroller – ( I had talked about the redesign up thread. Note it was a redesign, not a tweaking on the design. ) – they now have no one that knows the code to port it to the new hardware design, likely a different hardware interface, etc. I’m guessing this must be a fair amount of work. Without that you can’t completely test the new design, and shouldn’t commit to any production, hence can’t commit to an order of parts. Plus they’ll need to get a mostly working hardware prototype to do international agency testing, which they should complete before they order production component parts to manufacture boards.

It was fairly recent too they were dealing with mechanical problems with the keyboard and aluminum case. You can’t be creating the world’s slimmest keyboard and expect things like this to be easy to do.

They had 4 months or so after they were Kickstarted before Covid. They had planned to ship in 8 months. Instead they end up doing a redesign, and were poorly prepared to deal with mechanical issues. It’s very hard to design and develop a new electronic product from scratch. My read though, is they had not done enough to be prepared before they Kickstarted.

4 Likes

is the price of this edging towards the Take5 (for example) recent announcement ?
i admire their efforts but perhaps the real world is moving onwards and upwards.

Absolutely, I did a post about market windows over in the crowdfunding page. And you’re right re5et, the world just goes right on by.

Hopefully for Superlative there is enough special in this design for it to carry through.

2 Likes

I think they can do it, looks super sick and I’d definitely like to have one… as long as a decksaver comes out for it. Still watching this project.

2 Likes

You neglected to mention the other delay, as stated in the first sentence of the Kickstarter update that you’re referring to:

“There was recently a death in my immediate family that required me to step away from the project for a period of time.”

(I have no investment in the SB01, other than I think it’s cool AF, and I hope they get through this doldrum.)

My considered choice not neglect. I stand by my post.

2 Likes

The Black should do it.

2 Likes

It was so super and nice and simple … really hope to hear from them soon and maybe with next instrument?! (modern days black Juno )?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/superlative/sb01-analog-synthesizer-of-the-future/posts/3357995

new update!

We are continuing with steady progress into the end of the year.

With new engineering support in place we have finally validated our last module board and are on track to build a full revision prototype with the necessary improvements soon. We are also in the midst of an overdue firmware sprint, and our firmware collaborator is implementing several new features to catch up to the current state of our electrical design.

Since the last update we have also finally secured production stock of all long lead time ICs used in the design, and are moving onto more readily available passives and components next. Depending on upcoming supplier deliveries of production quantity parts, we are aiming for the production pilot prototype soon after the holidays.

-Superlative

8 Likes

Superlative did updates on KS for both January and February.

They’re still changing the electronics around and making major sorts of changes. They also have now bought a reflow oven to streamline prototyping, so are they planning more changes ?

A project’s electronics doesn’t need to be 100% complete before taking customer’s money, but it ought to be pretty close to complete, with only tweaking left. They’re still in design, pushing toward two years after the original ship date.

Was looking on KS at all the synthesizer projects started long after the SB01 that are done, shipped, selling in retail, and onto a third firmware revision.

6 Likes

Yeah… this and the VS-1 pretty much vanished. Shame, I was excited for both.

1 Like

Every single electronic device manufacturer is experiencing severe supply chain issues, and is needing to substitute parts AND redesign for subs or routing around however they can.

I’m not saying that Superlative have made no mistakes here, I have no insight into their operations and have no financial stake in either way (considered but did not kickstart)

But none of this is unsurprising in the continuing pandemic.

1 Like

Yeah it seems like a total no compromises product which means more time unfortunately, especially when comes to tweaks for actual production especially when chip shortages are coming in. So many kickstarter products build quality falls way short of expectations because they are trying to meet deadlines and are willing to make pretty substantial compromises. I suppose when it actually comes we will see if the time was worth it, but I certainly hope people who backed get a superb product. I want to say the TE-02 spacecase guy has had to redesign almost half his production boards after waiting months from manufacturers with moving deadlines and prices, likely to be a while before that is complete.

1 Like

To be fair the electronics change is swapping their bespoke filter designed IC for an IC that only recently became available. The AS3109 is a drop in replacement for the R3109 VCF ICs found on vintage Roland synths.

Its entirely possible that there chip shortages, which required them to change the schematics an thus the layout.

2 Likes

Yeah, another project I hope comes to fruition while also completely understanding the annoyance of backers.

Spent five years already waiting for my Wond II with a redesign or two in between, i expect to one day receive it, but bleh.