Saw wave with Digitone?

I really start to enjoy the Digitone since the latest update. The portamento feature allows one to create very cool acid-like stuff. I discovered that I can send notes into the Digitone from Ableton, while the internal sequencer can apply its magic on the parameters at a different pattern length than the melody. Very slick.

Anyway, while I have found a simple way to create square waves, I am open to suggestions of how to achieve a nice saw wave with Digitone’s FM engine. I would like to have this as the basis for my acid patches, the closer to a 303 or 101 saw the better. The saw one can get directly from the harmonics seems not to cut it, but probably a combination of harmonics, FM and distortion should do the job.

Any ideas?

… I think there is a preset on bank B that creates a saw, will test that tonight, but I’d still ike to hear how other people “simulate” analog-style waves on the 'Tone.

There are also two sound presets called something like “Saw basic” and “Square basic” (can’t remember the names), they’re good start points.

Init patch -> SYN page 2 level A at 50% -> SYN PAGE 1 feedback level at 50%

In my ears a square is just setting C = 1.00 and A = 2.00 (and around 60 level on A) on e.g. the second algorithm.

Also add extra harmonics using feedback for an extra raspy saw!

Saw Basic and Square Basic exists to show how to do this. :slight_smile:
It’s pretty straight forward - 1:1 ratios will yield even harmonics (saw) and 1:2 odd (square)

I recommend having the feedback set to about 35 and then using the A Level on algo 1 to adjust the intensity of the modulation.

As for making it sound more analog, I usually introduce some coloration using harmonics, set an operator (usually carrier for me) to some of the stranger square- or saw-like shapes.
Then of course, applying the LP4 filter will work some magic.

Thanks. Have to admit that this feels like my RTFM moment as I have not bothered to look into all the presets first :wink:

Will try some methods to get some unpredictability into the sound. I really, really like the Digitone now, it started as a faw more complicated relationship a few weeks ago, the portamento opens it up to new uses beyond what I thought was possible.

If you have access to a scope (even a software one) it can help you get a good saw wave, even just through trial and error!

The Multiscope VST plugin that comes with Cubase works fine to check the shape of the wave.

I forget. Is Digitone beta public yet?

There should’ve one in there right?

I use Signalizer for that.

Btw. my problem is solved. The Saw preset does exactly what I was hoping for. Should spend more time looking into all those presets.