Saving samples - audio pool vs project

Gonna do a couple hours of sampling today and get a pile of fresh noise together. I normally use sp555 or Laptop (sonar) for sampling and trimming loops/one shots etc. Hoping the OT is gonna turn out as quick etc to record/trim/save.

I’d really like to be able to create/specify folder/s for saving to. But seems OT is limited to either top level of Audio Pool folder or current Project. Planning on starting a fresh project, calling it something like ‘new samples’ and saving everything in the project folder. And probably come back to the project next time I want to do a bunch of sampling and add to the files saved there.

My mem card is already kinda messy in top level of audio pool folder just from my messin around while I was learning/reading manual etc. I don’t want to slowly end up with a million samples in there to scroll down. Just wanna ask users with experience does this sound like best method or am I missing a trick somewhere? Thanks

1 Like

I would be interested to hear this as well! Do people usually save samples per-project basis or just to the root of audio pool?

I understand the idea, that it’s nice to have all the samples in one place, available for every project, but the audio pool gets very cluttered this way.

Another example: I have a specific folder in audio pool called “drums” which has subfolders for specific drum types. Whenever I record a new sample, I have to go to file manager and manually move both wav and ot files to correct location, before I can use the sample in a project. That gets very tedious.

1 Like

We are missing Rusty’s OE,

seems Elektron went away with the cow with file handling on the OT and AR

If OE doesnt work for me the OT is out the door

Yeah same here re having a ‘drums’ folder in Audio Pool, among a lot of others and sub-folders which is all organised and logically structured. Basically just copied to card from my Daw laptop. Sucks not being able to sample a drum loop on OT from my phone or whatever and just sling it in the appropriate pre-existing folder. That make way more sense for cataloguing and recall.
I haven’t really messed with moving files born on the OT yet. When you say about moving the sample with the file manager and also having to move the OT file. What’s the OT file you need to move along with the sample?

I’m intrigued to try OctaEdit. Though the main attraction of the OT for me was being able to use it away from a computer and do tons of sampling etc when I’m chilling with my kids on sofa or in bed etc… Shame that simple stuff like organising file directories when saving etc is likely going to need third party software and tethering to a laptop :confused:

If I’ve understood correct, it contains such sample info, which is not included in the standard wav file format (for example sample slicing)

You might find that a computer UI is better for extensive editing of samples because its screen is larger than the OT’s screen.

The OT has an extensive File Manager (see PROJECT > SYSTEM > CARD TOOLS menu) for setting up and dealing with folders, and creating shortcuts to favourite locations. You can nest folders within other folders. You may find it instructive to read the manual (pages 34 and 35).

If you are creating or dumping a bunch of files at the same time, you might consider putting them in the audio pool so that they are readily available to all your projects. Your personal preference will evolve with experience.

If I’ve understood correct, it contains such sample info, which is not included in the standard wav file format (for example sample slicing)[/quote]

No.

EDIT: Yes. See correction below. My apologies for the confusion.

You might find that a computer UI is better for extensive editing of samples because its screen is larger than the OT’s screen.

The OT has an extensive File Manager (see PROJECT > SYSTEM > CARD TOOLS menu) for setting up and dealing with folders, and creating shortcuts to favourite locations. You can nest folders within other folders. You may find it instructive to read the manual (pages 34 and 35).

If you are creating or dumping a bunch of files at the same time, you might consider putting them in the audio pool so that they are readily available to all your projects. Your personal preference e[/quote]
That’s cool about the file manager. That part didn’t really sink in on first read through the manual. I’ll go back over it. I still can’t choose where to save a new sample though right? So it doesn’t really help that I can make folders, I already have all the folders I’ll foreseeabley need…I just want to be able to save to them during a long sampling session and not have to move files around after saving… Audio Pool root or current project seems to be the limit for options…

If I’ve understood correct, it contains such sample info, which is not included in the standard wav file format (for example sample slicing)[/quote]

No.[/quote]
Sorry for the bad info then, I’ve obviously misunderstood the contents of *.ot file.

Edit: Octatrack manual says on page 105 regarding sample editor:

“SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS will save the trim, slice and attribute settings in a separate file and link it to the sample currently being edited.”

So if this “separate file” is the *.ot file, I understand that it also contains the info about sample slicing, as the manual says. Right?

If you are creating or dumping a bunch of files at the same time, you might consider putting them in the audio pool so that they are readily available to all your projects. Your personal preference e[/quote]
That’s cool about the file manager. That part didn’t really sink in on first read through the manual. I’ll go back over it. I still can’t choose where to save a new sample though right? So it doesn’t really help that I can make folders, I already have all the folders I’ll foreseeabley need…I just want to be able to save to them during a long sampling session and not have to move files around after saving… Audio Pool root or current project seems to be the limit for options… [/quote]

You have the choice of audio pool or project directory as the default location for files to be saved. When saving samples to either of those space, you can use the arrow keys to navigate whatever folder structure you have created and therefore to choose the location where you want to save the sample.

EDIT: Incorrect: I was thinking of something else. Sorry for the confusion.

No.[/quote]
Sorry for the bad info then, I’ve obviously misunderstood the contents of *.ot file.

Edit: Octatrack manual says on page 105 regarding sample editor:

“SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS will save the trim, slice and attribute settings in a separate file and link it to the sample currently being edited.”

So if this “separate file” is the *.ot file, I understand that it also contains the info about sample slicing, as the manual says. Right?[/quote]

Apologies for my previous terse and incorrect answer. I incorrectly interpreted the question as being about saving the original sample settings (for which no extra saving is required) instead of about moving files around.

That’s cool about the file manager. That part didn’t really sink in on first read through the manual. I’ll go back over it. I still can’t choose where to save a new sample though right? So it doesn’t really help that I can make folders, I already have all the folders I’ll foreseeabley need…I just want to be able to save to them during a long sampling session and not have to move files around after saving… Audio Pool root or current project seems to be the limit for options… [/quote]

You have the choice of audio pool or project directory as the default location for files to be saved. When saving samples to either of those space, you can use the arrow keys to navigate whatever folder structure you have created and therefore to choose the location where you want to save the sample.
[/quote]
Great, (non-)problem solved! Didn’t realise you could select sub-folders during Save. Don’t know how I didn’t alresdy notice that for myself! Will save a lot of hassle when I get in to it tonight.

No worries. I got a good reason to pick up the manual after a long while :slight_smile:

For some reason I cannot get that to work. When I save the sample from the editor, it just asks for a name. Arrow keys are used to select characters. When I press yes, the file is saved to sound pool root folder. I’m probably missing something here…

Hey, could you guys elaborate on this please? When I save a file I can’t see a way of choosing a folder: “save sample copy” brings up the naming screen, arrows move letter, ‘yes’ saves it in either audio pool or proj directory, as per global settings. How to reach this folder selection screen?
Thanks!

I’m not with OT at moment but like the above posts, I don’t recall there being any opportunity to specify a sub folder to save in to. Hoping it’s a hidden key combo or something.

This is correct, the *.ot file contains the slice data / information relating to the audio file.

To clarify, this only exists if you create it, by going [Playback] -> [Edit] -> [File / Effect 2] -> [Save Sample Settings]

I’m intrigued to try OctaEdit. Though the main attraction of the OT for me was being able to use it away from a computer and do tons of sampling etc when I’m chilling with my kids on sofa or in bed etc… Shame that simple stuff like organising file directories when saving etc is likely going to need third party software and tethering to a laptop :/[/quote]
You can look at OctaEdit as a companion piece if you want, but for sure it does a lot more then that already, and a bunch of stuff that the Octatrack can’t do at all.

You could take the approach of just doing whatever you feel like, jamming out, then reorganising later… OctaEdit includes a bunch of functionality for reorganising samples, file structures, etc, etc…

I’m intrigued to try OctaEdit. Though the main attraction of the OT for me was being able to use it away from a computer and do tons of sampling etc when I’m chilling with my kids on sofa or in bed etc… Shame that simple stuff like organising file directories when saving etc is likely going to need third party software and tethering to a laptop :/[/quote]
You can look at OctaEdit as a companion piece if you want, but for sure it does a lot more then that already, and a bunch of stuff that the Octatrack can’t do at all.

You could take the approach of just doing whatever you feel like, jamming out, then reorganising later… OctaEdit includes a bunch of functionality for reorganising samples, file structures, etc, etc…[/quote]
Yeah I can see it being very useful for moving stuff around etc. I read some of your main OctaEdit post and you mentioned you were trying to talk to elektron about foreseeable updates, guessing there are none in the pipeline? :frowning: