Samples Mk 2 Dreaming Of

Weil the title says it all basically.

How much I wish Samples would be able to sample and play Stereo files.
Would be my all time favorite sampler

1 Like

Sounds like a Model Samples Feature Request to me!

Would be funny if the Model Samples got stereo samples before the Digitakt. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

ā€¦which makes merging the posts into the what's next for Elektron ā€˜dreamingā€™ topic tricky ā€¦

tbh, youā€™d be one of the few people pitching ideas about a Mk2 Model anything over there, so in the unlikely event they are looking for inspiration for a Mk2 youā€™d be in the driving seat

3 Likes

To be completely honest , since English is not my native language I am not sure I understand what you are saying ā€¦

Is it possible technically though ?
I mean I suppose software wise anything goes but could the Samples Hardware support such a thing?
I am ā€œvery basic knowledgeā€ in technical matters to put it mildly

Well gentlemen, for a sampler that is definitely able to sample and so much more as well as plays your samples in stereo get yourselves an SP-404MK2 :sunglasses:

i am sure everyone here knows that the Sp 404 Mk2 exists.
However the Sp 404 also is Very Very (Very Very) different.

I want Model:Samples but with stereo support. Not a completely different device and workflow
and as you say ā€œand so much moreā€ This is exactly why I am using the Samples. Because I like that it has ā€œso much lessā€

Different worlds

1 Like

I donā€™t like to be the party pooper but considering how unpopular the model:samples is and how rares the firmwares updates have been for the models line, I do not believe either cycles/samples will have a MK2.

i think some light upgrades of the line would be nice, usb C, better pads. They obviously dont want it to compete with digi, but it makes sense to me as a drum machine lite sorta thing. Build quality of mine is terrible. Several encoders have a notch detent/click at one point in their rotation. the whole thing creaks like a boat. BUT Overall i like its functionality.

tho I do think theyā€™re cool little machines I think they missed the mark with the models a bit. shoulda had internal lipo battery, audio in, attack parameterā€¦ amongst others.

Tiz a pity, I hope it doesnā€™t put them off designing another portable machine I the future. stick some serious power into a portable n theyā€™d be on to a winner I reckon.

4 Likes

All of this would be cool.
However for me the only thing I wish for is simply Stereo Sample support

This isnā€™t me being a prick, itā€™s a genuine question out of a genuine interest in the subject, but what benefit do stereo samples offer on what is basically a simple and streamlined one shot sample player and sequencer?

Those are the prominent things missing, along with re-sampling.

For when you want toā€¦ use stereo samples :man_shrugging:

Like if you wanted to use a nice pad or drone stereo sample on one track and layer mono percussion over the top for the others. You can still use mono samples in a stereo sampler of course, so thereā€™s no real downside. It should just be standard going forward and Iā€™m not sure why itā€™s still a point of contention tbh.

I can give the cheapest and most boutique devices a pass on being limited to mono samples, like maybe they need to use some particular chips and keep the complexity and cost down. But for anything else I really think itā€™s time to say no more to mono-only sampling.

No one is calling anyone anything, itā€™s all good.

To your question , why canā€™t a ā€žstreamlinedā€œ device support stereo ? For me personally stereo should be ā€žbasic specsā€œ in 2023.
Why would you ever want to hear a pad in mono unless you are in a club with a mono system ?
It is degrading its possibilities.

But I am talking about me. I simply donā€™t listen to mono music so why would I be enthusiastic about using a mono tool?

Itā€™s just a discussion and a wishlist

Peace

1 Like

But the M:S isnā€™t designed to do pads. Of course you can use it to make pads, making gear do things it isnā€™t really designed to do can be fun, but you canā€™t make a cheap and streamlined sample player by accommodating all possibilities in the design.

The M:S has limited memory and processing power, itā€™s monophonic and will be bought by a lot of beginners, who might be more confused and put off by trying to mix a bunch of stereo samples as opposed to more mix-friendly of mono samples.

The models are already probably a bit overpriced, adding stereo capabilities would push them into silly territory.

Youā€™re kidding right?

stereo music is full of tracks recorded from mono sources.

Not to mention the usefulness of using mono tools during the mixing process to eliminate phasing issues.

9 Likes

This :+1:

1 Like

Again itā€™s really just about specific reasons to not implement stereo these days, like cost. Thereā€™s no disadvantage to having a stereo capable device, if you want to use mono stuff you can still do that.

If anyone has industry knowledge of how much the cost difference would be these days to go for stereo over mono that would be interesting to hear. I could be quite wrong but I feel like with recent silicon the BOM cost difference really shouldnā€™t be that great, like at a total guess Iā€™d imagine it to be less than $20 all told for the end user. Please correct me though as itā€™s something Iā€™d be interested to learn more about.

I would hazard a guess itā€™s not just about cost. As Finn says itā€™s a lot more of a headache mixing with stereo samples and for beginners it makes sense to offer a product that has the highest probability of repeat uses to get them locked into a companyā€™s format.

A mono sample playback machine (like the much more expensive and very successful Polyend Play) is so much easier to make sound good out of the box. Creating a mono reference mix from stereo samples is a lot more difficult than spreading mono samples across a stereo field.

6 Likes

And if you want a stereo sampler from Elektron then we have the OT

1 Like