Sample Choke and Tails

Whats the best way to stop a sample from choking on the next trig sample placement so that it overlaps with the tail not cutting off? Is reverb trig condition the usual way? Cheers

You would need to put the same sample on two different tracks with the Digitakt. not sure about the Octatrack tho

1 Like

All octatrack audio tracks are monophonic.
So you will need to use two tracks to achieve your chosen result.

3 Likes

If i had several different chords i guess its easier to get them in a loop of some kind beforehand rather than individually then?(to save tracks)

Yup. This is one of the (many) reasons I ended up selling my OT again. It’s an amazing machine, no doubt, but for certain applications, it just falls short.

1 Like

Sure you could do that.
Keep it simple. Use polyphonic instruments when you want polyphony.

Sample them if you want. Up to you.

2 Likes

Can you sample live through a midi keyboard with a USB interface. Something i havent done yet.

Do you mean Ableton Live?
Yes. Interface output into OT. Sample away.
Or- sample synths inside abelton, load samples to OT via usb file transfer.

1 Like

Yes i have Ableton Live. I have the Poly vsts and the USB interface and keyboard. Are the recorder buffers Stereo? Cheers again.

Yes.
And they can record in 24 bit 44.1khz. Be sure to make those settings in memory settings.

1 Like

Thanks. It would save me time going through the system interface thing. I’m trying to get a good workflow going and not overcomplicate things. I was going down the individual chord/note route but i don’t think this will work out.

Agreed. Making your chord sequence, or melody or what ever and sampling the entire phrase into OT, is a good way to avoid workarounds for lack of polyphony in OT. (Not to mention OT only has 2 octaves of sample transposition- melody maker it is not)

Plus, using long samples of chord progressions or melodies opens up more creative possibilities.

You’ll find your own way with it in time.

2 Likes

Yes i was going to record individual chords through the whole harmonic scale even suspended and augmented chords. Oh boy. What a rabbit hole. I’m just going to do phrases instead. Thanks for saving me a lot of time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another option, record all the chords you want into ableton as a long file, upto 64 chords, 1 chord per measure or beat etc, then export the track into OT, load it into a static, hit AED, hit slice, hit yes, scroll to create slice grid, hit yes, scroll to 64 slices (if you had 64 chords) it will ask if you want to align slices to zero markers, hit no (or yes, should not matter if chords did not overlap in ableton).
Hit no again to exit AED, double tap SRC, turn on slices (top middle encoder) press no to exit, hit function down x3 to set trig mode to slices, now you can play each sliced chord from the trig keys, use page to get to next 16 slices.

5 Likes

Perhaps this might be of interest.

2 Likes

Cheers. Thats what ive been doing with single notes slicing them up into 64. The problem is the chords bleed into each other. Hence the original question.

@Synthtastic that is a good write up, on the trimming start of slices section you can set trig mode to slices, jump back into aed and play each slice to using trig keys to jump right to the start editing each slice as you go, it is a little faster than using the arrows :+1:

3 Likes

Gotcha. I thought maybe the midi chord pack download might be useful.

It maybe will further down the track. Im still getting my head around sequencing and its limitations. If i was into Techno i dont think this would be such an issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The midi pack