RYTMORF lemur prototype

UPDATED 9 FEB 2016

RYTMORF lemur v0.3

• GUI downscaled for iphone4 and up. (so that old iPhone gets a second life)
    For iPad, use the old version of Rytmorf or resize current version.

• Since AR OS 1.22B, the ‘On frame’ update method has proven stable and been left in place to ensure smooth morphing. (see discussion in this thread).

• In the works: free and open source Pd/MMP version. Currently non-functional due to Core MIDI issues relating to MMP.

download RYTMORF lemur version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3g6b447oxcc905/HoToolzRYTMORFlemurV3.jzml?dl=0

Requirements:

• Elektron Analog Rytm
  • lemur
  • camera connection kit (CCK)
  • USB cable
  • tested on iOS only

screenshot

Dear 'nauts

Using the the forum lull before the Strom release, i’d like to nudge this whimsical experiment into the focus of your attention –

RYTMORF allows you to morph/slide multiple selected parameters to randomly generated values.

With its predecessor originally designed to control a NordDrum2, the current RYTMORF lemur patch draws inspiration from many sources, such as the
maxforlive Skinnerbox, iOS Seekbeats, and guga’s Analog Rytm Randomizer (ARR).
I’d like for you to try it out and let me know what else you would like to see it do.

Currently 4 selectable parameters: Synth TUN, -DEC, -NOL, Amp REV. (This means max. 2 simultaneous parameters changes per channel, and max. 4 simultaneous channels – so this equals 8 simultaneous CCs; this is the maximum verified stable amount of CCs, before the AR “locks up”)

The differences to guga’s ARR are:
-emphasis on sliding morphs, not instant changes or XY-control.

• Multiple track/channel morphing.

ATTENTION: morphing more than 4 tracks at a time will make your RYTM unresponsive to any manual input for a short while. Indiscriminate morphing will result in RYTM crashing.

Thanks Baddcr, please let me know how it goes! : )

Btw., setup is pretty simple, using either CCK/USB or 5pin MIDI:
Only a MIDI OUT connection from the patch to the AR is required.
Just make sure the AR is receiving CCs via MIDI and/or USB.

NOTE: be careful, my AR is working perfectly, but using the RYTMORF i did get the AR to throw up this exception at one point, when all 12 channels/tracks were being morphed (i had to reboot and everything was fine again):

you have been warned :imp:

It seems to me that the AR is a lot less stable “welcoming” when receiving multiple CCs than the OT.
It appears to easily “choke” on too much information.

here’s the “manual” ; )

that’s nice! well done :slight_smile:
i’m not a lemur user but this looks interesting :+1:

Just downloaded! Thank you

Nice, although I can’t try it because I don’t have an AR.

You might also have a look at the MD Morphor template, if you need some inspiration for extensions of your template.

Thanks MK7, haven’t had much time recently, but i will certainly get back to it within the next few weeks! :slight_smile:

i’m sure you may be right, but are you sure the Lemur isn’t sending multiple duplicates of messages as it interpolates 0>1. float to 7bit, there are ways to thin this out, otherwise it’s a surprise as the OT and A4 can handle a lot of stuff getting thrown at them

thanks avantronica i will have a look at that.

my patch is effectively sending out rounded values only (integers 0-127), but i might have missed something somewhere…

I have seen it with lemur, maybe using bespoke midi messages or standard, but you can send quite a few identical messages , this effectively clogging up the midi bandwidth, the same is true on A4 I think, I’m sure there are a few menus where there are limite options but the A4 kicks out lots of duplicate nrpn strings whilst the encoder sweeps between a few values, so it can happen and if you have a lot going on it might overwhelm the processor, just a thought

Avantronica, you just gave me an idea.
Lemur objects can be set to send value updates at internal frame rate.
Possibly i have an untamed stream somewhere. (Although i did try to avoid this).
Hopefully get a few minutes with it later on.

you can definitely use lemur scripting to send a value and have it wait (filter duplicates) for it to change before sending again, even if it is calculated (the object in max is [change] if you use it) - it is (from memory) different depending on whether you script your own midi messages or use the built in ones (i think they do it automatically)

update bump. see top for new info.

have a nice day : )

WHAT? No tutorials?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

WHAT? No tutorials?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
I’d need another smartphone to make a tutorial video! maybe i can borrow one somewhere ; )
There will be a short text documentation for the usb connection between the phone and Rytm via CCK as well as setting the two required MIDI preferences: 1. on the Rytm (USB config: USB MIDI mode only, not tested in OB mode) 2. in lemur (enable MIDI output to Rytm), once i get around to it…

I’m guessing that use of this app and OB at the same time is incompatible?

in short - i don’t know. try it! in the name of science.

in theory, they are compatible, as rytmorf only sends CCs.

in practice:

• nothing tested in that direction.
  • multiple usb ports (=hub…) required. or you use RYTMORF via 5pin MIDI in parallel to ‘overbridge mode’. not tested.
  • the question of ‘over bridge mode’ vs. ‘usb midi mode’ only… not tested.
  • etc.