Rytm Techno Kick Demo/Test

for those asking if the kick will do techno…yes !!

This is a demo/Test of the Elektron Analog Rytm Bass Drum/kicks. I didnt spend much time on it just wanted to test how the kick can do hard dark warehouse techno type kick. Thought Id put it up for anyone else that wants to know.
Their are three type of Bass Drum Synth.
BD Classic
BD Hard
BT Classic
I only used the synth pram and overdrive. No filter was used .on some of the audio file I ran them through the Rytm distortion and Compressor of the same file so you can hear the difference.
[url=“http:// This is a demo/Test of the Elektron Analog Rytm Bass Drum/kicks. I dodnt spend much time on it just wanted to test how the kick can do hard dark warehouse techno type kick. Thought Id put it up for anyone else that wants to know. Their are three type of Bass Drum Synth. BD Classic BD Hard BT Classic on some of the audio file I ran them through the Rytm distortion and Compressor of the same file so you can hear the difference.”]

[https://soundcloud.com/kawa/sets/analog-rytm-techno-kick-demo/s-0GZ32](http:// This is a demo/Test of the Elektron Analog Rytm Bass Drum/kicks. I dodnt spend much time on it just wanted to test how the kick can do hard dark warehouse techno type kick. Thought Id put it up for anyone else that wants to know. Their are three type of Bass Drum Synth. BD Classic BD Hard BT Classic on some of the audio file I ran them through the Rytm distortion and Compressor of the same file so you can hear the difference.)

1 Like

Somehow the link does not seem to work for me. Anyway, i am very interested in this, since i hope that the AR will render my MBase 11 obsolete.

1 Like

sounds good! how would it sound through ohmicide :slight_smile:

i highly recommend fabfilter saturn
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/saturn-multiband-distortion-saturation-plug-in

i highly recommend fabfilter saturn
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/saturn-multiband-distortion-saturation-plug-in[/quote]
i actually have it. i like putting it as a master fx cause it really warms things up. but i must be terrible at using it for extreme distortions because i would get better results with ohmicide for distorted kicks.

But yeah it really is a great plug in and i want to try some of the other fabfilter stuff

So I should have noted that I only changed the synth pram and overdrive. I left the filter open, but you could use the analog filter to get more variation/base/kick. You could very well get similar mbase sounds out of it. I have the mbase11, 01, xbase 888, tanzbar, mfb503, and lancet kick. I am thinking about selling the tanzbar , an awesome drum machine for a second rytm…

:+1: Nice! Thanx!

I cross-posted this on another forum.

Someone is suggesting that the kicks are lacking in the low-end.

I haven’t listened through proper speakers yet, but I’m wondering if that might be deliberate…?

That must have been a suggestion from a user with laptop speakers :slight_smile: I bet he finds a moog lacking low-end too?

thats enough kick for me and there is still the FM kick to come. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
can you use the comp and/or distortion on a single channel ( e.g. kick )
or is it for the main outs only?

thanks for the cool demo!
i wonder if you used some kind of overdrive or distortion the ind out files as well ? the kicks sound quite driven in those clips as well or is that the “clean” rytm sound ?

it seems the rytm can get dirty real quick. i`d love to hear some cleaner sounds too. if thats possible on the ar ?

someone care to make a clean kick/bt demo ?

That must have been a suggestion from a user with laptop speakers :slight_smile: I bet he finds a moog lacking low-end too? [/quote]
Actually, he was comparing with a Tempest on the same rig.

I’m not passing comment either way and like I say, I’ve only listened to this on earbuds so far. I’ve had some boomy kicks out of the Rytm myself. I usually find myself having to low EQ boost the Tempest kicks (I have a Tempest and a Rtym).

I’m just trying to get whatever useful info I can about this demo over to the other guy. :slight_smile:

The distortion and compressor are on the main stereo outs.

You do have a pre-filter over-drive circuit on individual channels though.

I was playing a lot with the kick (hard kick) parameters last night though and did find myself wanting to adjust the curve a bit. I might try using the LFO to control pitch and see if that gets me what I was after.

Using the peak filter did help a bit, in that it’s a bit like a sweepable mid-band EQ boost. I don’t think you can adjust the Q though, which would have been nice.

olafp wrote

can you use the comp and/or distortion on a single channel ( e.g. kick )
or is it for the main outs only?

On the manual page 20, Kits and Sounds - Track Routing there is this option “Route to FX”. What exactly does this mean? Does FX mean distortion and/or compressor? Since you have individual send levels for the reverb and delay anyway, it would make sense. Can anyone clarify? Thanks

I think (although I haven’t got my machine in front of me), that this means you can bypass the master distortion and compression per channel…?

If so, I guess you could set things up so that everything bypasses those effects except one channel which you might want to apply them to.

If I remember correctly, audio coming into the inputs always gets routed through the master effects.

One main use for that routing is to have the sounds on in individual outputs but still route them through the stereo effects on the main output. In that case you would disable the track from the stereo mix. Sounds are always playing through the individual outs.

[quote="“Purusha”"]

I think (although I haven’t got my machine in front of me), that this means you can bypass the master distortion and compression per channel…?

If so, I guess you could set things up so that everything bypasses those effects except one channel which you might want to apply them to.

If I remember correctly, audio coming into the inputs always gets routed through the master effects.[/quote]
You can’t bypass the master distortion and compressor per channel. You can only remove that sound from the stereo buss.

Hey I only used over drive and changing analog synth pram settings nothing else. I did not use the filter but if you did you could make the kicks with more or less bass if you wanted to.

I have a very well treated room with pmc speakers, and these kicks bang! I think you will be able to make any techno kick you want with the rytm. You could even layer two analog voices to get that perfect kick. With having one filter per voice you can easily tune a layers kick.

I find the kicks on the rytm do better with a little over drive the setting abot 10-12 but it can go to 127.

I’ll be using the analog rytm in my techno live set but it will take 6 weeks integrating it in… Hmm wish this was my full time job then it take two .

would you mind recording a quick demo without any overdrive if you have some spare time ? i`d really like to hear how the ar sounds when its as clean as it can get.
that would be fantastic!