Rytm OS 1.32 speculation

The A4 does sequence CV though

1 Like

Itā€™s quite likely that what you get now is just about the maximum youā€™d be able to get out of the analog hardware. There is a limited set of components available and you pretty much get all the sensible combinations they can make.

Uuh., thatā€™s not true. Iā€™ve built various sequencers in Reaktor, Max and Nord Modular (!!)

Sequencers at their core are pretty basic animals.
There is no sense in romantisizing programmers in this way.
We all use much less trivial code on a daily basis without ever giving it a second thought.
For instance, the browser code that renders this webpage is infinitely more complex than just about any sequencer you may have encountered.

Are you talking hardware now?

Anyway, there is a lot more to the firmware of these elektron devices than just the sequencer.

1 Like

God forbid that music should ever become a series of sensible combinationsā€¦

feature i really like on MD (tho i canā€™t use it that good yet) and top thing that got my attention on ar mk2 :slight_smile:
how would this even be possible on mk1 when it cannot sample/record and edit audio? work strictly like a ram-p?

We were talking about electronic subcircuits, not music.
Most combinations of the components used in the devices simply do not produce any sound.
And i think the devices you get are the combinations of components that do produce sound.
In other words, there is not much more you could get out of it by creating your own devices.

I donā€™t see any distinction beteen electronic circuits and music.

Hmm, yeah, the sweet sound of an envelope generatorā€¦ :yum:

1 Like

Iā€™ve no idea really, but my understanding is that on Rytm/A4 all the modulators for any voices/oscillators, amp levels, filter cutoffs, such as p-locks, envs and LFOs are implemented in software running on the CPU (or possibly an extra DSP) - theyā€™re limited in sample rate, e.g. looking at the CV outputs from A4 you can see interpolation artifacts (in a high frequency sine LFO and so on)ā€¦ FPGA then turns these signals into control voltage/oscillator tune pulses or whatever and actually controls the components that make up the voices.

On the A4, most useful hardware parts which make up a voice are already exposed pretty directlyā€¦ vs on Rytm, the synths are kind of meta in (software) based on the underlying voice architectureā€¦ some raw & direct access to things like the BD oscillators could be funā€¦? On both machines, could also be enormous fun to generate weird as fuck LFOs, EGs etcā€¦ extremely broken machine territory kind of soundsā€¦ but donā€™t know how even lol

4 Likes

Loop an envelope generator, speed it up and you have an oscillator

1 Like

Aah, i was under the impression that the envelopes and such were hardware.
But if the various cv signals are generated in the cpu then it can be fun! :smiley:

Yeah, very true. :slight_smile:
In any case, iā€™mn not against the idea, iā€™m just not sure there is a lot of ways to route things around internally.
Tho if what void posted above is true then you can generate crazy cv signals and whatnot. A whole new world would open that goes far far beyond what is possible now.
Tho he is talking about the a4, and i was talking about the rytm. There can be serious architectural differences there.

Yea, amazing on the MD! Havenā€™t a clue if itā€™s even possible tbh, but the MK1 can already load and edit audio with sample playback. So if the MK2ā€™s new OS can re-sample internally, it seems that to implement that function on the MK1ā€™s may be a possibility, if the hardware supports it.

Itā€™s the function that excites me the most about the new model and while Iā€™m still paying off my new RYTM, I gotta say it bugged me a bit. All good though, still fucking bangin!

aye! weā€™ll see if they manage to make it possible :slight_smile: ar is awesome either way :slight_smile:

1 Like

so I guess we will have to wait for the Mk2ā€™s in October to see Rytm OS 1.32?

My guess is they will use the mk1 users as guinea pigs first!

Hopefully just a working version of Overbridge would be nice. OB hasnā€™t worked at all for me since I updated to Sierra. I can see both the Rytm and A4 are connected in the Control Panel app but when I open the plugins it tells me that there are ā€œconnection issuesā€ with the USB

This happens on both my desktop and laptop

Really hoping for a backup feature, for the whole machine. Would make sense as well, if they want to sell some MK2ā€™s to MK1 owners.

4 Likes

Wish I better understood this. I use one shot drum samples triggered by my Yamaha e-kit. I was wondering if the analog aspect would make a difference with AR vs Digitakt.

think of it as a robot playing a grand piano. You get the true ā€œanalogā€ sound of the piano as it is the ā€œvoiceā€ but you can have the robot play it in ways that are not naturally possible (digital).
Some people complain about Oscillators (actual sound making unit in a synth) being controlled by VCO (Voltage controlled aka analog) or DCO (Digitally controlled) but that has to do mainly with tuning and ā€œdrift.ā€
Other than that debate, which is fair, there is generally no difference in sound between say an Analog RYTM as it is and a non-existent Analog RYTM with a fully analog system.

As for your last question, the AR vastly improves the sound of my samples as they are run through the Analog circuits. I canā€™t speak for the quality of sound from the Digitakt, but the fact that it is only digital makes it far more likely the AR will sound better (if ā€œanalogā€ is your preference of course).

1 Like

Thanks Bonfire!

I have asked that second question a few times now and never received a response. I was hoping the answer would be what you said and I will be happier with my Rytm knowing the samples sound better through the analog circuitry. Awesome! :slight_smile:

Blessings!!

1 Like