Rytm OS 1.32 speculation

why even use the rytm?

a Midi CC to trigger fill with an external sequencer (page button on rytm) would be nice!

3 Likes

I just hope you understand that the word ā€˜betterā€™ is a subjective term.
His ā€˜betterā€™ can be a completely different ā€˜betterā€™ then you were hoping for.
I mean, What does ā€˜improvementā€™ even mean in this context? Distortion?

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct, hence why I said ā€œmy samplesā€ and ā€œif analog is your preference.ā€ And what that means to me is they are ā€œpunchierā€, occupy a little more ā€œspaceā€ in the mix and, the biggest reason to use a RYTM over the digitakt is to layer an actual analog sound with your sample. Even just a little will help you beef up say a kick or a snare Dramatically. And yes, distortion is in the mix as well as compression.
Look at the RYTM section on this forum and you will find many who share that thought.

2 Likes

Someone who gets it: The Rytm has some serious mojo under the hood, if you learn to combine the samples with analog voices just right. Once you get the volumes of both in the right spot, itā€™s not just two different sounds happening. They fuse together, forming a new and often times really awesome voice. People should really dive deeper into this machine rather than buying something new every two weeks.

10 Likes

Welcome to the wonderfull world of sound layering :sunglasses:

My only regret is to not have at least Low Cut / Hi Cut on sample pageā€¦ Iā€™m forced to Eqing on computer to get better sonic results (when i use Synth + Sample as Layering sound design method)

6 Likes

Thats my most frequent lament with the Rytmā€¦ Even just a switch to choose whether the filter affects only synth or sample or both would be so useful. Quite possibly the upcoming mk2ā€™s sampling (resampling) will allow a (long) workaround without using a computer though.

2 Likes

Yes probably what i wish too :wink: with the new possibilities on mark II

if the Mk1s could JUST get resampling, that would be problem solved! Light a candle and sacrifice a track to Cenk: Patron Saint of Elektron for it :smiley:

4 Likes

I canā€™t wait to get my hands on mark II and abused of Resampling ! it will be massive in the RYTM

2 Likes

Librarian definitely. My Rytm is coming tomorrow and apparently has some content uploaded already.
I want it stored somewhere else.

4 Likes

MIDI CC control of recording on/offā€¦

Why?

So I can use it as a midi looper pedal when I play into with my drum/percussion controllers.

I never did get the balls to modify it the way @guga did (at my request no lessā€¦ the shameā€¦)

1 Like

Does anyone know of a hardware limitation that might prevent Rytm MK1 from resampling internally? Im still baffled as to why they setup the inputs the way they chose to but I know input sampling can never be an option. I really, really x a million hope they can and will add resampling. It would solve the 1 lfo 1 filter dilemma.

2 Likes

Yeah, this would indeed be great! Alternatively, make every elektron box support MMC instructions (you can remote control play/rec/etc with MMC too)

1 Like

Iā€™ve never seen the internals, but I could imagine a situation where the UI elements (pads, encoders) are read by another secondary MCU or FPGA and both output directly to midi and sent over I2C or some protocol to the main MCU, meaning that the main MCU doesnā€™t actually have direct access to the midi port. Iā€™m kinda stretching my imagination here, but it sounds at least feasible to me :slight_smile:

Hoping for a good solution to changing sounds per pattern but not overwriting the kit.
You can use plocks for this ofc, but it can be a hassle, especially live.

Would love a kind of global plock option, a per track default setting that will just overwrite locks on every trig unless you override them on the trig level again.
Right now I either spend forever doing something very simple (quick filter change etc) by programming them in for each trig pretty much one by one, just so I donā€™t mess up the kit.
Or I just save the kit as another version of itself but with some sounds tweaked, which just creates a complete mess and is a cumbersome seemingly pointless move that just exists because of limitations in the design, plus easily confused if I accidentally mess with a kit I did not want to.

Another option could be a track level default sound pool selector, which would give us 128 variations per kit as far as I understand, combining this with the new MK2 self sampling option could be epic.

Any thoughts?

Overwrite kit? Theyā€™re not actually saved when you change them, the changes just last until a power cycle, after that all kits except the currently active one are reloadedā€¦
Are you just wanting to change some parameters of a kit and then switch to a different pattern using the same kit and not have those changes there? If thatā€™s the case thereā€™s a kit reload on pattern change setting in the optionsā€¦

I want to make a pattern, save the kit etcā€¦
copy it over to a new pattern kit and all.
Tweak the pattern, tweak the sounds, save it all.
Afaik I can only use plocks for this, or save the kit as another version.

I like plocks the most though they are often very annoying to program, especially for minor changes like just bumping the filter a bit, a lot of work for a very small thing.

Saving as another kit ends up in a mess of KIT001vA KIT001vB KIT001vC etc etc, which becomes very confusing fast, which has me making mistakes all the time, but most of all they break the link to the other patterns.
For when I want to change the kits sounds while I am in a pattern and have it stay when I change back to the previous pattern.

What I want is
PatternA using kit Kit001
PatternB using kit Kit001 but a tweaked version of the bass
where the tweaked sound is saved to the pattern somehow, not to the kit.
So if I change the kick while in PatternB and move back to PatternA the kick change will stay, but the bass change, being saved not to the kit but to the pattern, wonā€™t change

Better meaning samples + Rytm analog circuitry = improved sounds than before Rytm.

My previous samplers were Korg Electribe II sampler. No good because I couldnā€™t build and save kits due to the horrible saving data aspects.

Then changed to Roland SP404sx. Storage for days, but latency when I triggered samples (played drums) on my e-kit.

Enter the Rytm. No latency, great FX, and I suspect (not sure) samples get some analog treatment as well as whatever FX I add.

I have since wondered if the samples would sound different thru the Digitakt or Rytm MK II.

As it stands, I am happy with my Rytm, but curious to the differences, possible improvement.