Rytm OS 1.32 speculation

What’s with this continued unpleasant style of contributing/phrasing (it’s not even like you’ve any horses in this race presently) … as has been pointed out quite a few times, crippled is an emotive term, browsing it leaves a sour taste … you don’t describe the lack of an ability that was never present as being crippled just because it’s absent

let’s elevate the debate, it’s not exclusive to current :3lektron: owners of course, but please drop this word, otherwise it just gets stuck on the carousel

3 Likes

There is really only one way to check and that will not happen; open source the firmware. It won’t happen because Elektron’s USP is not the hardware perse, it’s the OS that makes the biggest difference.

The DT and the AR share the same cpu if I can rely on the tear down pictures. It is likely Elektron is reusing code in other devices with the same boards. This is smart as it saves money and precious time.

The older machines are mostly DSP chips on custom pcb’s and (my guess) a firmware written at a much lower lever than the current boxes and close to impossible for us to do anything with without disassembling/reverse engineering (illegal in a lot of places).

The newer machines however use some kind of customised embedded (development) board which might make it easier for us to do tinkering with as they’re documented and such. But I don’t think this forum is the right place to discuss such things.

Has anyone ever tried analysing and building their own OS? Would be wicked to design your own machines and effects…Elektron might throw you in a Fjord though.

Perhaps it would be wicked, but I am horrified of the thought of building a comparable OS from scratch… it would take yars and it would be full of bugs. Even JJOS for the MPC performs poorer than the stock Akai OS in terms of clock stability etc IME, and JJ even used to work at Akai!

1 Like

When I bought an OT, it was because I wanted a device that sequenced external gear.
I was debating a Cirklon.
I wonder if there’s a Cirklon thread somewhere about how simple it would be to add sampling to it.

7 Likes

THIS. GODDAMN THIS

Yes, librarian! I was pretty sure we would have it already by this point, wonder what’s holding up the update. Digitakt and update for it are out for quite some time already.

Any speculation about the release date?

I think if we can’t somehow get out of the no midi on analogs loop it’s going to drive us to insanity… Haha! :smile_cat: Better go make some beats…

I feel like you’re thinking about this backwards, from what the RYTM already is and then justifying that it must have been this way. When the geniuses at Elektron designed this unit, you don’t think they had the capability to figure out how to implement MIDI out? which is basic as hell as a prior poster pointed out. They made a conscious choice to leave it out. How much more could it have possibly added to the cost of the box?
But again, the RYTM overall isn’t crippled. Its an amazing machine and I’m super happy with it. I just think its very odd that given the RYTM was the Machinedrum’s successor, the 10 years old tech to do midi out wasn’t carried over

maybe they implement some basic sampling-mode in the new OS… who knows… but to be honest, i rarely use the the sample-slots on my AR.

1 Like

Tempest got a minimal version of sequencing one external device, from the guy who created midi.
It must be really “basic” to implement.

The OT is a completely different machine than the AR.

2 Likes

MIDI has been around since the 80s and yes, it is very basic. Majority of electronic musical instruments have had MIDI support for decades.

Entertain us, I’m really curious on how you make a machine sequence other gear via midi.
From processors to coding, please break it down and explain the “basics”

Sure, it is all explained here: https://www.midi.org/specifications

Basic stuff for any musical instrument manufacturer.

Yeah, that was pretty basic

1 Like

For anyone in musical instrument business, it certainly is. Even a hobbyist can learn it quite easily using their “getting started” tutorials: https://www.midi.org/index.php/articles/categories/getting-started-with-midi

Check this one for example: https://www.midi.org/articles/arduino-midi-output-basics

1 Like

Even programming/building a sequencer using something like Max, Reaktor, Bomes, FAR from simple or basic.
And with those you are already provided the tools, and processing power etc.
Building a hardware sequencer is not easy.
You guys are nuts.

Ever tried building one from midibox.org?

1 Like

Yes, I actually own MB6582.

1 Like

I ended up just buying an Octatrack.

As much as I’d REALLY want sequencer midi output implemented in the analog boxes (especially on the A4 which would make total sense), you have to look at this from both a technological and product management point of view on Elektron’s side.

On the technological level, this obviously can’t be verified, but the hints we get from Elektron is that the resources on these machines are close to being maxed out. It’s important to keep in mind that timing on a musical device is key, and the analog boxes are pretty awesome on that side with having crazy low-latency change of hundred of parameters with sound-locks + p-locks + whatever performance locks may be there, on 8 (and even 12 with clever voice choking) tracks.

Starting from these requirements and with the hypothesis that the software resources (cpu cycle and ram) are indeed close to being maxed out, you have to keep in mind that midi sequencer out means: doing it on 12 tracks, possibly doing some merging processing of what’s going on the sequencer AND live triggering at the same time, etc. This can possibly add up quite a lot of tricky development AND resource use to do this and keep it tightly timed.

But then again, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. At this point, you have to look at it from a product management point of view: let’s say the basic version of this is done: all midi notes from the sequencer are output. I can garantee you that from the moment this becomes available, people will also start requesting having CC out for stuff being p-locked, polyphony, or find out that the midi output timing is parkinson level jittery. Again: frustrated users because of limitations and more development needed. It can become a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation for a company if all they can provide is an half-assed implementation of it (that is also both expensive on R&D, QA, documentation, etc.)

It definitely sucks that they didn’t plan out sequencer midi output from the start, but I’ve bought these boxes knowing it. I definitely hope that the MK2 means that they may invest proper effort in pimping up software functionalities within the remaining resources available. But this is only dreaming and hoping of this as a nice bonus.

Nobody should feel entitled to get free new functionalities that they were not sold on previously. Again, on a product management point of view, Elektron was super nice to provide nice upgrades for free on these boxes, and now users are actually complaining that they don’t get more. I’m not defending Elektron on that side, I’m far from some kind of fanboy, but this is simply the reality of most creative tools businesses, and you’ll hear the same kind of crap on the forums of any synth companies.

Try to keep some perspective, cool people are working for this company and are obviously as passionate of their products as elektronauts are. But everyone there needs a salary and tough choices must be made, juggling with all the aforementioned stuff on top of also you know, trying to come up with new exciting products :heat:

3 Likes