Rytm OS 1.32 speculation

The new MKII Rytm is shipping and the first Youtube Demos are popin out of the ground, showing some really nice improvements of the MK II Version. BUT what could the MKI users expect of new functions to get via the upcoming os Update? Cenk said something of a new machine a dual osc synth machine. Nice. But what is about the i call it Mute unmute preselect Button release Function. This is really a nice thing.I hope the MKI users like me will get it too? What do you think or now? What could we expect? Thank you.

Mute/unmute preselect with function button is already in the current OS. You may want to risk a brief glimpse into the manual, p. 20.

2 Likes

really ok thats something I didnt know. Thank you for the hint. Hm i thought i had allready read the manual. But not often enough arghh noob

2 Likes

I very much hope we get some sort of internal resampling.
As much as I love my RYTM, being an MK1 user right now feels like we were left outside the real fun.
I’m still perplexed what the inputs on the MK1 were ever intended for. They are the most unused jacks on any synth ive ever owned (I need a preamp to run anything in them unless I turn every track in every kit way down).
I purchased SDS drop as C6 was not proper so that helps but I had hoped the RYTM MK1’s features would’ve grown more due to the hefty investment.

All in all I still love it, I just hope Elektron offers us mk1 folk more than just one new machine.

How so? I remember getting Overbridge, conditional trigs and additional trigs as free upgrades that weren’t part of the spec of what I bought in 2014. Having said that, their ongoing commitment to their other machines makes me think that everything within reason will get “down ported” to MK1, whether resampling is feasible, time will tell.

If you’re looking for investment opportunities, non-vintage music gear is probably a pretty bad idea.

Well, the main reason I feel left out is because it seems in the past that upgrading an mk1 to a mk2 box from elektron meant an extra, but affordable fee (i.e. plus drive).
After only 3 years of life, Mk1 users have to sell at a substantial loss and acquire a whole new, more expensive product.
Had there been an upgrade package to add sampling to my mk1 I would be over the moon.
But of course this is not the case.

1 Like

You make it sound like Elektron have essentially bricked your unit. That’s not the case, it’s still a great musical instrument.

The MK1 is just as capable as it would’ve been had the MK2 never existed. You definitely don’t have to sell it and upgrade.

I get that it’s annoying that a new shiny toy is out, but that’s just how it rolls. As a previous poster said, modern synths are a poor investment if you’re looking to get your money back.

4 Likes

I thought the investment was in how much one could do musically, creatively…not in how much value it retains over time.

1 Like

I disagree that I implied Elektron “bricked” my unit. I think you are reading into something that is not there to generate a negative response fom me. As stated, im happy with my RYTM, I just hoped for a proper usage of the inputs found on the machine. Is it too much to ask Elektron for an internal upgrade for the feature, I honestly dont know, buts its clear that talking about it here has little value so far so Ill keep my thoughts to myself from now on. I didnt mean to offend anyone and after rereading my post I dont see how I could have.
But Its clear that folks on this forum prefer people to do so.
Lastly, “investment” is a term that applies in many ways, not just one.

You mean “keep one’s thoughts to oneself”? We just disagree, that’s all. You put forward an opinion and so did we. And I personally didn’t see anyone get nasty about it…

Thats exactly what I meant.
And so you can understand what I meant by “investment”; Im referring to the limited funds I have to spend on gear, not my musical limitations nor my ammount of creativity
Now after having made the poor investment of time defending my opinion, I’m going to learn from my mistake of mentioning anything at all and instead go make music.

The time you invested led to making music: seems like a smart investment, imo :grinning:

I’m not happy about the improved pads myself…feel it’s different than adding an AD and balanced inputs in order to sample…but seems no one else agrees, so yeah, I’m just keeping quiet and learn from my purchase mistakes.

I also do not see any usage for the input jacks so far. I would like to know from elektron a use case ? does one of you here have one ?

I find it perfectly usable if you mix the AR itself around whatever it is coming in (usually means quite “cold”) and hitting the compressor in a way that will glue them all together.

1 Like

Im a mkI user too, and collect € 1000 to get a used one was not easy at all, I do not care about resampling, better pads, input level etc. etc, nothing that can not be remedied with some expedient I am aware of having a powerful and fun tool in my hands and I hope I will never have to sell it. Returning to OS 1.32 I hope there is a function that tells how much free space remains on the + drive :nerd_face:

1 Like

this? (I believe he meant individual output)

Since the AR MK1 can output digital audio over USB (via Overbridge), there must be AD converters in the machine so some basic sampling internally or from the audio input should be possible?

There’s no AD on the input, just the sum of the input along with everything else at the main outs

discussed extensively elsewhere

3 Likes

Ah ok, no big deal to me as it’s very simple to sample anything with a computer… and software-based samplers and sample editors are beyond comparison to any hardware… which is why I wish the AR MK2 would not have to bump up its cost with the sampling. I guess Elektron is aiming at “prosumers” who want sampling and live performance without computers but this seems to be a rather small niche. I have not seen an electronic music live set without a computer involved since the 90s (in an actual live venue, not youtube) . Even many (most?) DJs these days have a laptop next to the mixer. Sorry, off topic…

Small but very very loud.

Direct sampling has been a top feature request for Rytm , here, for years.

Filling niches are exactly what MKII releases aim to do. Expand the current feature set but keep product continuity intact. Appeal to new customers without alienating the existings.