RYTM Noise Floor

Hi Guys,

Just seeing if there is any update here on the what seems to be inherent noise issue with the RYTM…I have done all the recommended things which reduces the noise, but it is still there unfortunately.

I love the sound and workflow of this thing and now it is the drum machine which I want to goto and use for everything, but can be a pain sometimes. I really have to be extra careful and make sure I do everything possible to reduce noise otherwise my track is sometimes unusable after compression/eq etc. (… I almost feel like the engineers back in the 60’s working with tape machines)

Anyways, I don’t buy the ‘it’s analog’ explanation as I have synths from the 70’s that are leagues more quiet than this. No problems with my MS-20 kit, SH-09, Jupiter 8, Moog MG-1.

I have a Revox Reel to Reel Tape Machine from the late 50’s that is more quiet.

So what is the deal here? Bad design? Packed too much into a small box?

BTW…lately I start my kits with just Samples from the RYTM (no analog voices) then add in my analog parts. I notice the noisefloor before I even add the analog stuff so something is up.

Anyone experiment with a better lower noise Power Supply?

I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with the RYTM in terms of noise.

It might help to realize that you’re much more likely to use heavy compression on the parts from your drum machine than with the other examples of analog gear you’re giving.

The fact that you’re not getting much of a difference when you only use samples highlights this; the analog synth voices are more likely to contribute to noise at the output than the analog Filter and Amp.

The RYTM does have a large dynamic range depending on how you use it; it might help to optimize levels to raise the overall output.

If you really feel you’re getting too much noise, then there might be something wrong with your unit, or the gear you’re connecting it to.

If you want absolutely no noise at all, then it might be better to not use analog gear for drums.

2 Likes

Well, those aren’t exactly great comparisons. Just because they’re analog?
Do they each have 8 VCAs, plus a compressor, and a distortion unit built in?

High Noise on Analog RYTM

background noise

Rytm high noise floor defect ( compressor? )

1 Like

So if I turn all eight VCAs down to 0 then technically there should be no noise, correct?

I will try that when I get back from work but it seems I STILL have a background hiss in this case…

and turn down the Master Distortion, and the Compressor mix to 0.

The point is there are a lot of things contributing to noise, more so than the typical analog mono synth.

4 Likes

and turn down the Master Distortion, and the Compressor mix to 0.

The point is there are a lot of things contributing to noise, more so than the typical analog mono synth.[/quote]

This.

If there’s noise in this set up then you have a sick unit.

Then, start adding one track at a time - set sustain and decay envelopes to <infinite. Set overdrive to 0.
Check noise. If you feel the noise is too loud at this stage, adjust track send to comp (VOL? I can’t remember it’s 3 am…).

Then go to comp and send mix to 127 (fully wet) and play with track send levels so that you are optimizing gain staging to comp. Pull back mix level.

Then add overdrive.

Then add distortion to taste. Adjust comp settings and send levels.

It’s can get much noisier that other drum machines with inputs and samples, but that doesn’t mean that it HAS to.

1 Like

Hey guys !

I encounter -80dB noise on all of my single outs on the rytm AND a4. Is this “normal”. I have the suspicion this is related the power supply in my flat. Even my (active) monitors have very loud noise when nothing is connected to them.

Question : what is your noise level when you put Rytm via Overbridge in Ableton (single outs enabled). ?

any idea ?

[This moved to thread ] and these too :thup:

This reminds me of a friend who complained that his mackie was “a POS noisy bugger” once. We sat down and checked his desk, only to realize that everything was gainstaged totally wrong and off whack! Once we optimized the gain structure of his mixing environment, he was going “its like I got a new mixer!” :diddly:

Summa summarum - always verify your gainstages & gain structure for optimal performance before slagging analog gear.

1 Like

Power conditioner at the source may help? Also have been reading about some audio over usb filters that do wonders. iFi USB3.0 (high end) or jitterbug (low end). If using cables, do any of your cable touch any of your power chords?

I’ve done some testing with mine because I was noticing a noise issue.

I found that the conpressser mix was the problem. Literally taking it over 50% = noise, under that everything’s respectable.

Been meaning to post this for a while, but moving house and personal dramas been in the way for the last few months.

It’d be great if you guys who think your unit is noisey could try messing with the compression mix and let us know if that sorts it.

5 Likes

The compressor settings probably affect the noise floor of the AR the most, but it’s not just dependent on the mix amount, it’s other settings like lower threshold and higher makeup gain, and the mix makes those apparent…

4 Likes

I agree it should be that way, but I was finding a consistent and sudden increase just over the 50% mark. Like a switch on/off increase. I’ll make a video tomorrow.

Even with threshold way up and makeup gain way down?
I’m not super skilled with compressors, but I know I have mine at 100% mix for most of my kits, without much noticeable noise.

I made a kit the other day with drastically different compressor settings than I normally use and more overdrive and distortion, it sounded great when playing. I kept jamming and switching patterns and then stopped the Rytm, which went silent. I switched back to that kit without anything playing and there was tons of floor noise, both kits had mix at %100.

Basically, at least on my Rytm it’s possible to have mix at 100 and not that much noise, and it’s also possible to have a lot… :totes:

1 Like

thx man, I will try a power conditioner. Even my speakers have a VERY noticeable loud noise when UNPLUGGED from the sound source. This might be it.

1 Like

I just discovered that the main source of noise floor in my setup is my Rytm Mk2. Even when it’s not playing anything, i get a constant noise (like a brown noise) of about -75db. It’s not really an issue in live situations, but to record a full song it sure is. For instance, i have a specific song that has a part that only a bassline plays along with the Rytm kick ; in this part i can clearly hear the Rytm’s noise, specially on the mastered (and louder) version.

I’m not using the Dist or Comp on the Rytm because it makes the noise worse. Does using a balanced or unbalanced cable on main out makes a difference ?

Here is an example of how bad the noise floor on the Rytm is being in my case. The first and last seconds of the sample are (or should be) both silence, with nothing playing.

Honestly, that is just how the Rytm’s noise floor is. It’s a known thing. Pristine clean sound is not the Rytm’s audio signature. That’s the analog nature of the Rytm’s signal path. Embrace the slight noise character, or get a digitakt if you want pristine digital sound (though no analog engines of course).

2 Likes

Actually i have the Rytm for about 1,5 year but so far i’ve been using it only for live gigs. Only now i really went into studio mode to record full songs and only now i noticed this issue.

I agree that for live use this is not a big deal. But for record full songs it sure is, specially in more ‘silent’ parts, without drums.

Sounds like i’ll have to live with this or maybe, replace the Rytm for another Octatrack for the drum duties, but only on samples… actually i’m more into house music and except for the kick , hat and cymbals, i use the Rytm more with samples :thinking: