Rytm MKII - Is yours emitting ringing noise on hits?

I got my replacement, just took it out the packaging a minute ago and of course it is exactly the same. I guess its just how it is… not really sure what to do again

Many hollow boxes will ring when you strike them. I agree the AR is not the subtlest, the A4 may be about the same. I compared with an old Nord rack and it was loud too but less tuned. I wonder if it can be damped. I was blissfully unaware until the thread tbh. Once you notice you have to make peace with it I guess. I don’t recall the Mk1s being so resonant mind you

That’s crazy

My assumption is that the retailer has received a defective batch, he does not know and it looks like you are the tester of the batch

Where did you buy it from?

Im willing to believe that its not a fault and is just how it is but I do think its super shoddy. My korg monologue that cost 1/6th of the price is next to it and actually feels like a nicer piece of kit. In fact my first impressions of the machine all round is that it was very much designed by committee.

The ringing note makes using it feel like an absolute chore. The worst thing is i find myself constantly hitting the same pad as i tweak sounds and all i can hear is that ugly note

I noticed it the first day too, but honestly not thought about it again.
I absolutely love the feel of the pads and sensitivity

just compared to the Mk1, that unit has a greatly dampened ring, it’s certainly not something that would be noticed - now when doing a direct AB comparison to the A4ii I noticed that the ringing was rather obvious and it struck me that it seems less an issue of a structural resonance and perhaps, just perhaps a series of small springs from the switches getting a bit excited and ringing - if this was the case you’d expect similar reports from DN user’s etc - so perhaps it is a function of the case design, the shape/material - but I wonder if there’s anything in the switches that could be damped, if that’s even a thing - even switch release on the A4 will excite the resonance, so it’s not necessarily banging on a PAD/chassis that’s behind this

either way - it’s not a ‘batch’ thing, it’s the way it is - I’d like to see pictures of the insides or of these switches

Open the machine, cut pieces out of the pads to shape and stick them on the inside of the enclosure wherever you can. Most people use drum machines for drum sounds so they don’t worry about background noises. The sound means that the box is physically solid and the buttons are high quality mechanical switches.
Shame that much of the rest of the experience is not of the same high quality.

Yup, mine too!
I got it today, started playing and wtf? I immediately googled which led me here.
Hitting the case anywhere makes the sound but I don’t think the ring is actually coming from the case as no amount of damping with hands helps.
I wonder if this will diminish with time as the components age. Pads soften from use and with time the spring tension eases a little. I’m hoping this will dampen the ring. Doesn’t seem like it would take much to make it more bearable.
It’s the ringing that’s hard to bear. My Oberheim DMX has hard plastic ‘pads’ that make a hell of a noise but it’s a short, hard click that, although quite loud, isn’t nearly as distracting.

Thanks for posting this and sparing me (us) the hardship of swapping it for another unit with the same problem. It’s a great machine and I can live with this but, please, ye who read this… if you have found a solution, please post it here! :slight_smile:

Solution was not as nice, but I sold it eventually…

I experience the exact same problem, purchased mine at Thomann some time ago. Is this normal or did you all just swap the unit for a new one?

Just compared this to a unit from 2019 (mine is from 2020) and there is almost no noise. Only when hitting the pads really hard

Mine has quite a ring. Doesn t bother me when sound is playing.

Just purchased a brand new black RYTM and ended up here too… This is just silly… had many drum machines but none ringing like this. I tried my other hardware (I have quite a lot here) and nothing rings like the Rytm. But reading this thread I think it’s something I should learn to accept ;-(

It’s something you notice at first, I did also.
Maybe because it’s new? because I don’t hear it anymore, or I don’t notice it anymore

1 Like

Good te hear. I also reckoned it would become less over time. Since the device gets hit so often, I can only imagine it will change over time. It’s not a deal breaker but something they could have avoided in the design. Especially since they had 2 revisions.

1 Like

It’s just part of their machines it seems, I have similar tones with RytmMk2 (black), OTMk2 (grey) and DT.

They all have different tones though, probably worth sampling them for that authentic Elektro-acoustic vibe :wink:

Has anyone who’s had Mk2 since release noticed if the sound calms down after extended use? Often I tune out to it, but it’s definitely still there

As mentioned earlier sticking something under the button/key would probably help.Like blue tack for instance…

I’m having the same exact issue, it was instantly noticeable, and quite annoying when playing/programming on lower volume. Got my unit 2 months ago from Thomann. I thought as well it would calm down after some use, but it kept bothering me.

I’ve send it back to Thomann, and they said it’s normal. They as well asked Elektron, and they were stating it is normal. Quickly translated their comment from Dutch to English: “The manufacturer states that the resonance has to do with the metal housing and that this is normal for this device. Any Analog Rytm MKII will have this resonance.”

They are not letting it me swap it for another unit, since they state any other Rytm will have the same metal casing resonance.

Guess I’m letting them send it back then, and hoping someone has a solution for it, or maybe can make a video on how to open up your unit and fix it with dampening elements (cause I’m not really that hands on technical myself)

1 Like

Is what you describe very disturbing?i’m getting ready to buy a new Rhythm mk2 this week.but first i want to know about hardware problems.it’s a lot of money.

In my opinion, you will always have some kind of pad or case related noise when you hit an instrument with pads. I hear it when I hit the pads with the AR switched off. It is the same frequency that resonates when you just hit the metal case. But I never found this disturbing when I actually play the pads.

1 Like