Rytm mk2 purely sample playback

Hi, I’m thinking of selling the digitakt and buying the rytm mk2. Is it possible to basically turn the sound engines off per pad and load a sample on to the track? Or do you have to layer the sounds? I’m sorry if this has been covered before I’ve searched for this question but I’ve not seen anything about it.

Cheers

Yes, you can set the volume to 0 on the sound engines.

1 Like

Yes, each track’s machine type can be set as disabled (i.e it selects none) so you can set a kit up that only uses samples

1 Like

Thanks for replying, do the choke tracks still
Choke if only samples are playing back?

Thanks again

yes - it’s a shared voice, so they both can’t play at the same time whether sample, synth or both

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

hey may I ask what were your thoughts behind your decision, what are you looking to get out of the rytm?

1 Like

Not to confuse things too much, but to take it one step further, you can set a cool sound on the analog engine and a select a cool sample on the sample engine - and switch the engines on and off per step with parameter locking…so you can just introduced the analog engine for one step of a sequence…or vice versa or both together…Not your original question I know…

But yes coming from the DT I used the ARmkii just the same as a DT for the first month…with the same sample set as I had in the DT even…

3 Likes

Just to add to this, I’ve really enjoyed using single cycle waveforms on the Rytm. I think it sounds even better on the Rytm then on digitakt. It might have to do with the analog filters.

Using two single cycle waveforms and set each track with one trig on an short uneven track length you can make some really nice polyrhythms. And then to top it of you can set scenes with different tunings of each samples. Playing those scenes will generate a nice polyrythmical melody.

6 Likes

Samples sound great on the Rytm. It’s not just the filters, the analog vca and overdrive provide extra magic dust, then you get to add the global analog distortion and compresser to the whole kit.

Hi captain08 I’d like the pads and the extra tracks. I love the digitakt, but I feel the rytm could be used more as a proper idea generator with the extra sounds. Running the samples through the analog filter also sounds good. Is the rytm now basically a bigger better digitakt after the firmware updates?

Thanks for all your replies

No. There are still some things DT does better than Rytm. Sample start point can be moved in 0.01 increments on DT, whereas it’s only whole numbers between 0 and 120 on Rytm. Plus, with DT you can play the start of a sample and choose to loop a portion of it later on – Rytm is only loop on or off. Also, to get back to original question, why would you choose to not use the analog engines? You could add a bassline with the Dual VCO or if you sample isn’t biting hard enough at the start add a very short blast of white noise or if your kick isn’t rattling your subwoofer then layer in some extra oomph, and so on and so forth!

2 Likes

So really I could benefit keeping the digitakt as a sampler. Is it possible to link the machines as one?
Yes that’s a good point I don’t think there would be many times where I wouldn’t want any analog goodness

I don’t see any harm in having both if money’s not an issue for you. Especially if you keep some things on DT with the aim of really messing them up with Ctrl All (another thing AR doesn’t have). Just put the DT’s main outs into AR and you can use AR’s master compressor and distortion to gel everything together (or totally destroy it, up to you!) You can send midi clock and transport from one to the other to keep them in sync. I got a brand new black AR Mk2 today and it’s really amazing – I used to own DT and while you do have to work a little bit harder to get everything flowing on AR it has so many awesome possibilities! I make downtempo/trip hop, so the pads are great for me! Right back to my new box. Good luck!

4 Likes

Nice one Craig I’ll keep both! Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Just to add here, when I got my Rytm MK II, I let several weeks go by, and I ended up selling the DT. There are some differences on paper, but I never noticed them in practice.

I was using the DT for percussion and one-shot samples, so if you are using the MIDI sequencing heavily or use the chromatic layout a lot on the DT, you may notice differences more.

2 Likes

This. Beside its sampling capabilities, DT will always be part of my rig to sequence my other synths. People tend to forget that huge feature, 8 dedicated MIDI Tracks.

2 Likes

Yup, it’s a great feature. I happen to have a Digitone though and only use at most 2 MIDI tracks, so I’m covered there!

The thing is that you can use several MIDI Tracks for one synth for different parts of the song. So 8 MIDI Tracks is minimal if you have several synths.