RYTM MK1 to MK2 Migration

Wrote to elektron a few weeks ago and have yet to hear back. Is there a way to move my saved projects and samples from my MK1 to the MK2. Either machine to machine or Rytm1 to a folder on my computer. My guess with C6 or SysEx Librarian?

Thanks!

It’s not possible to export samples yet. This may come soon when the OS becomes compatible with Transfer. Until then you can export the projects as sysex, but there may be nuances with re-assigning samples - this may or may not be made more effortless by using Transfer. The Transfer app won’t transfer internal samples, only imported samples, if you only used default samples you may be able to migrate the projects now - I’d wait for advice from support. Search on here for hashing for a few insights into how the AR os will identify samples. The Mk2 is identical to the Mk1 with a few additions for sampling so the .syx files will be compatible and should sound the same once the samples are loaded/identified-properly on the Mk2

1 Like

If you have the samples saved elsewhere, it would take a few steps.

1. Export your projects as Sysex data (this saves rhythms, sound kits, and global settings.)
  2. Write down what samples you have in your project, and more importantly what order (sample 1 is ___, sample 2 is ___, etc.)
  3. Upload the Sysex to the new Rytm
  4. Upload samples to the global + Drive
  5. Install samples one at a time to the same slot they were in the old Rytm
1 Like

Be prepared for hours of not so fun work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kind of indicative of the “in over their heads” state of affairs currently at Elektron that you wrote them with this question - one essentially revealing that you’re ready to give them money for a current flagship product- and you haven’t heard back yet. I guess they don’t have the answer you want to hear so they’re skipping the question? If so, that makes it even worse. Best case scenario: they’re that swamped and will answer your query in the future. Best case scenario still sucks.

Sorry to randomly inject negativity into your thread, btw. Not how I usually roll. Just feeling wistful for a more responsive Elektron experience.

Is there another thread covering this? Its now been a while. Is this migration from MK I to MK II easy?

any solution yet? was thinking of getting an MK2 but will wait a little more…

For me, a change to a MK2 would only be interesting if the migration would work.

Steven

The Transfer app handles everything. Projects and samples super easily.

1 Like

I’ve encountered issues with migrating projects between my mki and mkii. Most of the time the sample will be in the sound pool for the project, but no longer assigned to the kit. Often when the sample is successfully assigned, the parameters will be totally different from the mki project. Since I use a lot of single cycle and tuned samples, it’s been a nightmare trying to fix. Am I missing something when importing the entire project from the transfer app? Sourcing the samples is an inconvenience, but manageable compared to recreating the parameters for each track.

Find it a bit sad that Elektron doesn’t offer something like that. Nobody wants to buy the new machines if a migration doesn’t work.

Steven

I never had any problem transferring my mk1 projects to mk2, everything sounded correct. It is a long time since I did it but it was fairly straight forward.
I no longer have either mk1 or mk2 though.

2 Likes

Did you manage to figure this out? Got a mk2 today and having similar migration issues.

There are 79 samples in the sample pool on my mk1, and when i export to transfer and import to mk2, there are 41. Baffling.

I did not find a real solution, I ended up manually finding the missing samples, similarly to when an ableton live project is missing samples. Only difference was that once I found the correct sample, the parameters were not even close to accurate, especially samples that utilized pitch and/or looping cycles. I think in the future if I am going to do anything similar, I’ll likely create a simple spreadsheet for the soundpool.

Why there is no one from Ableton trying to explain this? i dont get it

i want to buy the mk2 and this issue makes me think about not buying it, i have so many projects, that would be crazy

You mean from Elektron?

Obviously , i was yesterday so pissed off :slight_smile: i even didn’t realize :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, dammit. Im gonna have to do soe.thing similar. Thanks for the heads up.