RYTM+DAW workflow and creativity

Hey all,
I used to have the Rytm Mki and sold it in order to get the MKii when it came out, but I held off ever since.
I loved the sound and the creative sequencer but I didn’t get a chance to actually incorporate it into a larger music production workflow. I’m thinking about finally picking up the MKii but I’m curious about how well it actually integrates within a DAW based studio setup with other MIDI gear for the purpose of a complete and in depth music production setup.

These days, I really put a lot of value on how fun is the gear to use and how long it takes to go from inspiration to execution. One thing that was really awkward to me is the process of importing samples to the Rytm and the convoluted file management.

So what I’m looking to do is to compose complete works within my DAW (Cubase) using samplers and VIs and use the Rytm as a main tool for anything rhythmic while being slaved to Cubase.
I will never use it on its own and am not looking a live set kind of person. So I’m very curious to hear about your experience with this concept and any pros/cons and gotchas.

Thanks!
Eitan

The primary question for me is how would audio would be recorded into from the RYTM into the DAW? Unless I’m wrong (could be since I have an MKI and not an MKII) Overbridge still isn’t supported for the MKII and it’s anybody’s guess as to when it will be. In my mind, that dramatically influences the answer to your question based on what equipment you already have (e.g. external mixer, soundcard with multiple inputs, etc) and how you plan on getting audio out of the MKII into the DAW. For me anyway, that’s more important part and things like sample and file management are a distant second.

I love my Rytm for its sound, so dealing with its audio is paramount. If I wanted speed, efficiency and sample management, then I’d stick with using something like Maschine. I don’t know if that helps you or not?

Recording the audio back to the DAW is not a concern. Even if Overbridge would do it all digitally, I would probably record it via the Analog outs and my analog input chain. I have enough analog inputs so I can multitrack the Rytm in one pass do the DAW. So really, my main concern is production workflow - working with projects, loading sounds and building projects on the fly without getting bogged down with importing/loading/organizing every time inspiration hits.

Biggest and best addition to the RYTM plus workflow improvements for me is the OT. I just love the thing. I picked up a mint secondhand unit and just using scenes to fade in and out the RYTM can get you a long way.

These days I’m advocating for ditching midi clock and just manually syncing the Rytm to the DAW. It’s been working for me.

Total creativity without the digital failures

1 Like

Best addition to Rytm and Daw workflow is Evernote and notes about which pattern contains which song (sounds kit named as song) with bpm and scale info.

I’m trying to figure out a smooth workflow between the DAW environment (Ableton in this case) and a RYTM using Overbridge. So far OB is working fantastic using each sound on it’s own individual channel. I’d like to play a set using clips that I’ve recorded in Ableton while using the sounds and changing patterns in the RYTM. Anyone have an idea on how to work with this?

Hi I don’t know exactly what you’re trying to achieve but you could make an audio track for every rytm channel and just select the channel you want as an input for the audio track.

1 Like

I will try out the rytm mk2 together with ableton live 2 and some further hw-synths, VSTs and to get it tight I will try to use the e-rm multiclock usb.

Another question to the mentioned problems in this thread about overbridge and mk2, is there really an issue?

Since today I only work without overbridge but it seems to run under ableton without problems with the rytm mk2.

I thought the importing of samples was easy with mk2 with elektron transfer?

Hello

I’m curious as to how people incorporate their RYTMs into their writing process or workflow, assuming specifically that sooner or later you end up in a DAW.

For me, hardware is the best tool for generating ideas and jamming but a DAW is the best tool for creating a ‘song’. You might differ of course but for me it’s broad brush strokes with hardware versus a linear and visual timeline for the arrangement.

Do you jam a lot creating a bunch of patterns and then dump the audio into your DAW and go from there? Or is it more a two-way process going back and forth as you write?

In a nutshell, how do you turn all those RYTM jams into something manageable?

If you don’t use a DAW then what do you do to ‘finish’ a song? Do you just hit record on some kind of recorder and jam? Do you make use of song mode?

Open to and interested in your ideas.

Jim

1 Like

Here’s how I’ve recently set Rytm and A4 up and it’s working really well for me, and I’m completing tracks again since switching to elektron hardware… sort of best of both worlds setup, yet everyone does things differently so may not be what works for you

It always differs a bit for me, but I mainly write my patterns and record them to the DAW. For normal I will record a long sequence to catch any conditionals or LFO movement. Then I cut and copy to taste. If I need more tracks from it, I’ll then use a channel and record that and so on and so on…

Another way I sometimes work is using the VST Plugin to create mutes and incorperate performance pads (non delay or reverb related as I use the individual outs). If I then have a song structure I’ll record in one go.

My process with integrating the RYTM into my DAW is quite simple. I love it for the creative process.