RYTM Compression

While I love the FX on the Rytm I find the compression to not be of my liking, anyone know how to completely bypass it? It’s responsible for loud hiss in the background and is really annoying

I have the mix of the compression at 0

1. Anyone know how to minimize the hiss?
  2. Anyone know how to bypass compression completely?

If I lower the makeup gain all the way down on compressor and lower the decay of the amp envelop it helps a great deal

Anyone know any tricks?

1 Like

Mix control. Completely anti-clockwise is just dry signal.
Fully clockwise is 100% compressed. Centre 50/50 mix of wet & dry (parallel compression).

A lot of people on here seam to really like the comp. Whilst there’s no doubt it’s the best Elektron have delivered to date I’m not convinced.
If I do use it, it’s either parallel or heavy use, more as an effect.
I rarely use it for gentle compression.

Yes, ok I wasn’t complete sure because I did have the mix level all the way to 0 but saw that the compression was still measuring sounds.

What are your thoughts on minimizing hiss? Background hiss…
Some of the tracks are quiet while others are more noisey, I am trying to figure out why, what I found is the decay on the amp envelope helps decrease the hiss when lowered down.

As I understand it, the increased hiss when using the compressor is just bringing up the level of the combined, inherent noise of the various gain stages in Rytm’s analog machines.

Try looking for lower noise sweet spots with the amp and voice volumes, and track volumes too.

The gain reduction meter will always be operating regardless of whether you are %100 dry or not. It’s a parallel compressor - the compressor is always active but you can choose to dial into it or not :slight_smile:

I used to use the 8 individual outputs + FX on main out. That setup did not sound the same as running all sounds through the main out even if the compressor and distortion was set to dry. In my opinion there is some coloration or summing going on even if comp is set to dry. Am I imagining?

I however switched to using main outs only because the sound is so much more coherent in my opinion even if the compressor is set to dry.

I use the compressor with fast attack, a little slower release, seq set to lo, mix to 20-50, gain to 20-50 and threshold 75 to 95. I’m not hearing any exaggerated hiss, but on the other hand I have a dirtier sound so it might just blend in.

1 Like

Of course there is summing.

The stereo output sums everything going though it. It’s more than likely that you’re hearing the effect of the final summing engine and VCA.

Here’s an experiment. Bypass the FX engine altogether, deroute each track individually from the FX engine. Then listen to the tracks summed in the stereo output.

I understand that there is summing but I wouldn’t think that it colored the sound as much as it does. The question then arises, would a single track through the mains sound like the same track routed to the individual out? Would that color the sound even if comp and dist is set to dry and no summing of several tracks is going on? I’ll try it later.

Do you have the Master distortion set to 0? That is often overlooked and a source of noise…

Whenever I encounter noise, the first thing I check is Amp Decay. It’s set to INF a lot of the time and turning it down a bit usually gets rid of a fair amount of noise.

yes, sorry I guess I really didn’t dive into it and experiment as I should have… Spent the last couple of days tweaking the compression from a sound design perspective and change my mind

I LOVE THE COMPRESSION.

It definitely helps mold the sounds in ways I was not expecting.

What I found was the main source of hiss/noise was the “Make up gain” in the compressor but also the decay on amp envelope of synth. If you have it at infinite you get a pretty nasty background noise on some tracks.

Since experimenting I have been getting pretty quiet tracks.

2 Likes

that’s my take, i have little expectation about what i think it ought to do, i just thoroughly enjoy what it actually does particularly in tandem with a splash of the distortion/symmetry and bringing the reverb in pre - very transforming !

2 Likes

that’s my take, i have little expectation about what i think it ought to do, i just thoroughly enjoy what it actually does particularly in tandem with a splash of the distortion/symmetry and bringing the reverb in pre - very transforming ![/quote]
Definitely. And made all the better once you start p-locking the distortion and compressor in the FX track.

1 Like

I love the compression on the RYTM!!! I find the RYTM to be very very quiet without the compression in use. I think it is really MEANT to be used, because they build in so much headroom for the overdrive and compressor. First thing I do on a new kit is amp up the compressor setting to my taste!

2 Likes

I kind of stopped using the compressor because when you mute the kick, everything gets louder. Then when you bring it back in everything sounds quiet in comparison… Any tips for getting round this?

That’s how all compressors act, it’s because bass frequencies take up more space. I don’t mind this, but the key is just to dial back your compression if you don’t like that. Of course then it won’t sound as juicy. Audio pros will automate the threshold when the bass comes out. This will be easier when over bridge comes out for Rytm

It’s totally dependent on the sounds you’re using, but I’ll usually have the parallel mix at around 10 o’clock so there’s more dry coming though, but you’re still getting the pump. Otherwise I’ll send the Kick to a separate out when recording so it’s not effecting the comp at all. That equals no volume changes since the high energy of the kick is not in play at all.

Blockquote THR (Threshold) sets the threshold of the compressor. A lower threshold means a larger portion of the signal will be subject to compression. There is a bar on the rightmost edge of the screen which will visu-ally represent the amount of compression. (0–127)

Where is this gain reduction bar? I’m sure I’m compressing the hell out of the mix but I don’t see no bar going on the compressor page… (AR mk2)

1 Like

They removed it for the MK2

1 Like

Oh why? Haha

1 Like