Rytm as a groovebox?

Syntakt Hihat and Ride sucks, i vote for Analog Rytm, its more flexible with the performance macro you can make the beat alive. It demands dedication, its not like the TR8s, you need to sink time into it. And you can select the sounds /samples you need from your libary. Syntakt has some good sides aswell, but it needs a pairing with a sampler. With Rytm its a more contained solution.

1 Like

If you just want one groovebox I would go with rytm. OT is fun as well, but Its better when in plays with other stuff naturally. It samples.

3 Likes

Iā€™m pleasently surprised by the love the AR is getting in this thread! I always felt like it is kind of considered an underdog to the OT on this forum.

I own both and the AR is my favorite machine of all time. To me it is the greatest all in one groovebox to use as a standalone machine next to a daw, because it is great at the things daws are bad at:
-great hands on workflow and sequencing
-limitations which spark creativity
-analog synthesis
-analog filters, drive, distortion and compression
-great performance features (scenes, perf mode, slide trigs, etc)
-amazing sound

On the other hand daws are good at the things the AR is bad at:
-clean sound
-endless tracks, polyphony, sounds
-endless fx
-very detailed sample chopping
-stereo samples

The OT to me is more like a replacement for a daw, so it works better as a centerpiece along lots of other machines. As a standalone groovebox Iā€™d suggest the AR over the OT, but Iā€™d also advice you to look into the DT as well, as it is very much like the AR, minus some of its benefits (analog synthesis, kits, indiv outs etc) but also minus some of its quirks (weird workarounds, clicks, sometimes too heavy sound). If you know how to use the DT, you know how to use the AR, so you can always upgrade down the line.

13 Likes

Wow!!! Im overwhelmed by the responses and the welcoming :)!

I will read and reply to all the comments tomorrow!, i have a final oral examination tomorrow for a study ive been working on:)! Once im done ill reply asap :D!

1 Like

If you want you can write a little about what style you make and how you work. Maybe that will help finding the best machine.

1 Like

I only opened this thread to check if it was just me experiencing this hahaā€¦ every time I scrolled past itā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s far less complicated than Ableton.
the OT is kind of like a simplified Live Lite in a way.

The RYTM is a great machine, however itā€™s much more simple.
Itā€™s great as what it does, but I personally feel like itā€™s synthesis capabilities are narrow.
It does make samples sound great, and single cycle waveforms really open up possibilities.
Samples on the RYTM can be difficult to manage across projects.
Navigating using samples can in some ways be more challenging on the RYTM than the OT.
Project management is not as good on RYTM as it is on other Elektron machines.

The OT is definitely more performance friendly device and does many things.
Although itā€™s sample based it has a broader range to some degree.
Learning the OT is not hard, and once you grasp it, all other Elektronā€™s are simple to understand as well.

If I were you Iā€™d consider the A4 as a first Elektron.
To me itā€™s the most interesting Elektron. It does so much, but feels streamlined.
Itā€™s bangs as a drum machine and offers more in depth but still basic synthesis.
The A4 is also a wonderful performance device.
I would read through this before pulling the trigger on the OT or AR.

Lastly, once you get your first Elektron youā€™ll probably want more.
So it almost doesnā€™t matter which you get first because another is destiny

6 Likes

yes thats whats selling the OT for me, is that it can be expanded to everything and can be routed to everything but its a sampler which something i dont like when it comes to sound design with synths, but then i just found out that it can also synthesize ? i think its called single wave cycle synth? not sure, so sampling a flat sine wave then you can basically turn it into anything u want to and you can sample or buy sample packs that have other wave shapes and that could solve my problem with samplers?

thanks friend!

this is very important for me, i love ableton and everything about it, but sometimes i need touch and just a mouse and a screen

yeah thinking about the rytm price is a bit tough especially its stuck in my head as a drum machine and i never want to pay that much for a drum machine, although it can do more than that absolutely seen some videos and the oneā€™s i linked up in my post was a really good display of rytmā€™s possibilities

and the overbridge thing also with the OT i dont know what to feel about it, but im sure i can still record my audio track into ableton as a full on track from the OT no? so if i wanna add some EQ or mastering to my track i can do that

this came in mind cause push 3 just came out and its a standalone now, but its not available in my country sadly. Ableton doesnt ship to where i live, ive already checked

especially the pads its very tempting hahah,

i can also use single wave samples on the rytm as well?

nice jam :D!

oh wow! i just noticed that this jam is purely with samples:)! nice :D!
correct me if im wrong but the AR seems to me that its best for performance, and that its strong point over the OT, even though the OT is labeled by elektron as in a performance machine sampler

samples are great i use them purely for percussions and drums and sometimes for textures in my tracks nothing else than that, i synthesize all of my basslines and leads and textures and all of that stuff. and thats the main selling point for me for the AR that it can do all that? i know im stuck with only 8 voices, but i usually dont need anything above that, my tracks are basically (kick,bass,lead,hats,rides,hats2,claps,and maybe toms)

but i do have lots of effect chains and and lots of mangling effects so i use lots of processing in my productions, thats why the OT feels tempting as well, that it can mangle sounds and do all sorts of weird stuff so kinda like ableton in a sense? so maybe OT fits better for that style of workflow?

The pads on the mkl are not that great but I think the mkll pads are pretty good

https://www.elektronauts.com/files/459

Exactly, search for ā€šsingle cycleā€˜ on here and you will find a few free packs like this one.
You can even go beyond subtractive synthesis on the OT. (LFO=FM, etc.)

besides the factory single cycle waveforms coming with the rytm theres Hardcore/Softcore apps you can use to generate, just a note that rytm has Ā±2 octaves so if you want more range you should generate couple of them with different root notes

1 Like

i was considering one at first then i thought id prefer to get one of the big boxes since ive been saving up for one,

yeah ive read that it has simpler sampling capabilities but i might be doubting it too much hahah

yeah the live performing features are awesome especially with the pads routing pads to increase drive or open up a filter based on how you touch the pads is pretty sick, and also some jungle and breakbeats!!! i figured it would be easier since everyone is saying OT is very hard to learn

1 Like

wait the OT has more effects than the rytm? i really enjoy effect stacking and going places with processing with effects

i know the AR has analog effects where the OT is digital but i thought they had similar effects?

wait i thought the OT can 8 audio voices? cause it has 8 midi 8 audio for samples,

i think im gonna end up with both boxes eventually hahahha :smiley: the elektron loophole, but i think its good to go into my first purchase with the mentality of ā€œim getting only one box that does everything that i want itā€ since i wanna save up for modular later

thanks for the share ill check it out now :smiley:

1 Like

yes, it has 8 audio tracks and 8 midi, I meant that AR has individual out for each voice (thatā€™s 12 tracks - 8 + 4 shared voices) that you can record separately from the individual outs or overbridge, while OT has 2 outs and 2 cue outs which Iā€™m not sure if you can use as extra 2 outs, and OT does not have overbridge support so you must record it stereo or 4 outs max.

vs

1 Like

The OT is harder to grasp and understand. To me its harder to understand than Ableton and its samplers.

The Rytm is a lot more straight forward, AND is has overbridge which lets you stream all the tracks of the Rytm directly to separate tracks in your daw. Yes its a great feature. It has analog synth engines too.

Then OT is kinda special, stereo and long samples. But it has a learning curve, and it is bound to be replaced soon(i would say).

If youre a restless person who want results quick, go Rytm. If you have all the time in the world, maybe go OT :slightly_smiling_face:

If you dont absolutely need samples, go/try Syntakt first. 12 tracks and easy to get going with, analog and digital synthetis. The most inviting elektron machine i would say. Good luck!

1 Like

Yes indeed, you can use single cycle waveform on it. But there is no wavetable support (no lfo between multiple single cycle ).

What I do is a real old sampling tricks. I sample a synth for 2s with no ADSR and no LFO. Then I loop the sample until I found the spot without clipping. Usually it is around 1s.
The sound is generally more interesting than a single cycle.

If you are interested in wavetable. The only box from Elektron which manage that quite correctly is the model:sample. Quite weird, but I have better results on MS than on Digitakt or Rythm.

But the Rythm is for me one of the best box I have. It tick all the boxes :blush:

2 Likes

For me, it was an older and more obscure reference, a paraphrase of the Slits, ā€œGroovebox is a Rytm tooā€.

1 Like