Rumor: A4 MKII incoming

Definetily DCO.

Would be pretty epic to include midi sequencing with A4mk2… but then it would overlap with OTmk2.

I wonder if the VCOs (or DCOs) in the RYTM are the same or similar to the ones in the A4 because they are capable of FM.

U can not assign the audio/FM rate LFOs to filter??

LFOs can currently be assigned to filters, but their resolution isn’t ideal. I think it’d sound much more interesting with the actual oscillators modulating the filters.

1 Like

If all the “modular” i/o of a voice (“machine”) are spent, not much one can do… So perhaps by incorporating new machines??

Would be a homerun if they’d give it six voices, individual outs, big OLED and let it sequence midi (six channels, right), allow for polychaining. Tweak the filters and give some realistic (randomly adjustable) slop parameters and other minor sound tweaks.

Really wouldn’t cost that much more in construction and R&D. Charge $1499 US and you’d sell a million of them. Of course that won’t happen.

You sure about that? :wink:

1 Like

They already have the existing technology. I suppose the biggest expense would be adding two voices. But if Behringer can do 12 voices for $999 (and six voices with a keyboard for $699), I don’t see why Elektron can’t do 6 voices for $1499. SMT is not expensive. The rest of the technology they’ve already implemented in other products. Tweaking the sound would not be super difficult or time consuming. So, to answer your question, yes. :slight_smile:

Look at it this way. They’re selling the A4 now for $829 and I doubt that’s at a loss price point. One could argue if they don’t make some drastic changes they’re being left behind by the competition. Anyway, just my thoughts.

2 Likes

You forgot about the cost of developing a midi sequencer for a machine that only speaks CV internally. And sure, Behringer stuff is cheap but they have economy of scale on their side, in a way small companies like Elektron don’t.

It kinda bothers me when people trivialise the costs involved in this kind of thing. There are way more hurdles and expenses involved than anyone would ever expect.

8 Likes

Price is back up to $1249 USD on JRR Shop :disappointed:

A4 does not “speak CV” internally. It’s digitally controlled.

Right. It would be so hard and expensive to just tack on the Octatrack/Digitakt midi sequencing aspect. Give me a break. Since you’re such an expert, why don’t you tell me how expensive and exhausting the work would be?

2 Likes

It didn’t happen and it’s not going to happen for the sole reason they want you to buy an Octatrack or Digitakt. The rest is company speak IMO. I’m not saying it would take no work, but I’m sure it would be a fraction of a fraction of all the time they’ve wasted on Overbridge.

1 Like

Rather than misinforming people, how about putting forth a bit more effort towards being mindful?

5 Likes

on the a4 a big oled screen would make a big difference

2 Likes

From what I can gather from the screen discussion from OT mk II its not so simple to up the resolution and put a big screen on. Software needs to be re-written etc?
MK II analogs will probably get the same treatment that new OT did, and that is the same screen, both size and resolution, but in OLED form.
Would be good if they could somehow up the tiny 122x32 pixel count on the analogs to at least the resolution of an OT mk I or II at 128x64, to display over double the existing information than the current analog series.
We will see I guess

Analog Rytm and Four mkii’s were actually listed briefly next to OTmkii in a Polish web shop last week.

I’ve actually done a PhD in this exact topic, it would be approximately 5 expensive and 17 exhausting. Happy to help.

4 Likes

Oh trust me, those 12 voices/oscs are about as basic as it gets. The A4/AK have more oscillators per voice with more waveforms and waveshaping on all waveforms (and more). While talking analog components, per voice there’s a two-flavored distortion, one low pass filter and one multimode filter. So there’s just so much more going on with the analog components in the A4/AK then in something like the DM12.

The components are so cheap and unstable (hence why there are two fans inside the thing). I have one, had two units (for testing) at one point. I’m fairly sure they could price dump the DM12 and still have decent price margins lol. Oh and one of the fans in my unit, the large one inside, is already rattling. There. Is. A. Rattling. Fan. Inside. My. Synth.

Anyway, I’m excited to see if they bring over the same panel overhaul to the Analog Keys. I’d definitely be tempted to get it with the OLED and the bling bling, although I’m very happy with it as is, so I wouldn’t exacrly perish keeping the current design:-)

4 Likes