Room acoustics improvement project

If you want simple fabric, I can recommend IKEA. You can buy just the amount you need there for a reasonable price.

1 Like

The bigger ones in this pic are the ones I made with the IKEA fabric. The thinner ones are professionally built ones. Just to give an example of what to expect. For future ones I will be mixing in other colors

3 Likes

Do you remember what kind of IKEA fabric? Linnen? Cotton? Other?

I’m thinking linnen. I like how it looks, and I feel it’ll be less flammable then f.e. rough burlap.

Update!

3 Likes

The painter fleece / malervlies stuff makes it super easy to gift wrap the whole thing and nail it to the wood with small nails/studs. Great stuff @loopdude

The plastic (pvc?) on the back of the painters fleece also seems to be so thin that it hopefully doesn’t do anything to reflect the waves before entering the bass trap. (If anyone here with professional knowledge of this stuff things different; do please share:)

PS a good piece of info to share before I forget: The Rockwool 233 that’s often mentioned online for bass traps is nowadays (or in my country?) called ProRox SL 960. Maybe it’s another brand, but I had trouble finding this stuff until I found this alternative name. It’s 100kg/m3 hardness/density.

7 Likes

Nice. Looks good so far. Care to explain the holes in the side? And did you leave a gap between the rockwool? What is said is to leave a gap between the panel and the wall.

The holes were done in a whim. I saw them in the examples that some other people posted. I guessed that maybe they help let in some waves through the sides as well, through those holes? No idea how the wood sides actually affect low frequency waves, if they even reflect them or not :upside_down_face:

As for the gap in between: I read here indeed about the gap behind it. But I remember also reading on other places (a couple of months ago) that some people wrote about air gaps in between. No idea what right and what’s not. But I opted for halfway in the middle: I used a small cut-off part of another piece of Rockwool (for the next smaller frame) and put it between the two big slabs of Rockwool. Mainly as spacing to push them apart, to keep the front one pressed flat against the front fabric. Plus it leaves some air pockets in the middle of the bass trap, in case it’s beneficial hah

1 Like

How do you empty out all of the trapped bass frequences? Seems dangerous to store up all that kinetic energy without a relief valve. :innocent:

5 Likes

Looks great!

I want to know how you rode the bike with all that lumber?

3 Likes

For these kind of basstrap’s to be affective there has to be space behind it, the longer the air gap the lower it’ll absorb.

The holes you made on the sides do indeed make the trap more efficient. Good job.

2 Likes

Amazing, thanks @shroom

1 Like

I walked it for 45 minutes :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Do you know if it’ll be better to put it in in a 45 degree angle in the corner, or faced perpendicular to one of the corner’s walls (with some air behind it)? Maybe this’ll depend on more details, but I’ll ask just in case:)

For bass traps, this would be the setup to pursue.

EDIT: more symmetrical than that of course :joy:

Congrats on building those traps, acoustic treatment is one of the most important upgrades one can get. Having good monitors without treatment is like having an expensive TV and setting it up in a way where direct sunlight reflects off it all day long :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @hausland

That’s the biggest reason I kept on sharing my project: of course I’m a bit proud, but mainly to really show that if you have only some basic understanding of cutting and screwing wood (like I do), you’ll be fine with making these bass traps / acoustic panels!* I’ve put it off so long, with all the doubts about all the technical details. But I guess it’s just way better to just start and do it - I can always improve things with new knowledge/skills down the road.

*The amount of drilled holes and screws that missed their mark and I had to redo :joy: But that’s really the beauty of learning woodworking with projects that you cover up with paint or fabric, isn’t it??

1 Like

I’d keep it in a corner like you are doing with ample space behind it as that’s where low frequency build up is worst.

1 Like

:ok_hand:

but I could use that space to put stuff there like microphone stands, …err… fabric rolls – basically stuff you’d like to not have in your visual field anywhere in the flat, right? Since you lose a lot of the room … I was thinking about doing bass traps as well from floor to ceiling – but the amount of space I’ll lose got me thinking…

1 Like

Getting back into this after moving :slight_smile:

Not so lucky with the reflective surfaces and asymmetric room. But a bunch of panels and traps should help a lot.

Anyone have experience with any of the panels available at Thomann? Also Thomann ‘s own t.akustik brand?

I’d also consider building my own but I don’t want to fill it with rockwool. Don’t wanna have those particles flying around.

Got some work to do…