Room acoustics improvement project

Ouch. I 've had RSI issues from computer work too. And I’m also in the process of improving my acoustics a bit, ghetto style, following this: http://mixedbymarcmozart.com/2014/11/06/room-acoustics-ghetto-style/

I just dumped 2 rockwool packs in free corners of my room, one under my desk and one on top of the shelves, and yes, it has a bit of effect tightening up the bottom end. I have no ambition to turn my living room into the perfect sound studio though. Just doing some easy basics to attenuate the worst issues.

2 Likes

Is the rockwool enclosed in something ?!?!? it is nasty stuff and you don’t want any fragments on, or in you.

2 Likes

I left the plastic wrapping around it and now that I’ve confirmed it works I’m gonna make a textile cover for it. Btw, I think you’re thinking of glasswool, which is far more irritating than rockwool.

1 Like

Nevertheless I’d dissolve a little PVA glue in water, spray the rockwool with it and let dry, before covering it with fabric!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Right now the rockwool is still in it’s plastic wrapping and I covered the remaining holes. Will wrap that in textile so that seems pretty safe. But your tip could be handy when I start making different size panels.

@dtr

Plastic is reducing the effectiveness of the rockwool, it needs to be a material that you can feel gusts of wind blowing through.

Also if you want it to be effective at low frequencies you’re going to need to build frames and have a free hanging membrane inside them (Lead loaded vinyl)

Like this ->

3 Likes

There sure is a lot of room for improvement all the way to having my house rebuilt around my studio but I’m going for this approach :wink:

1 Like

Lead loaded vinyl sounds nasty

@dtr

There are huge fails in that article, especially the bass trap part. First of all you need empty space behind the rockwool for it to be effective in the low frequencies, second rockwool dost not absorb a whole lot under 125 hz by itself hence the need for a free hanging membrane.
Also after 120hz rockwoll stats falling exponentially in absorbing energy.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

@Nagualizer

You don’t have to buy with lead there are other options available.
https://www.sruinsulation.co.uk/mlv-50-Mass-loaded-vinyl

Edit; Buy this from amazon for free shipping.

4 Likes

Sweet, finally some DIY info that is not linking to US suppliers!

2 Likes

Hence the title “ghetto style” and the big disclaimer on top.

1 Like

@dtr

I’m talking ghetto style too but one that actually works for the most problematic area in mixing, the lows :wink:

I’ll take it in consideration. I actually have a wide desk all along the wall wherein such loaded vinyl could nicely be integrated…

1 Like

Amen, all the info on DIY bass traps seems to be american. I don’t even think you can get that Owens Corning stuff in the UK. Is rock wool a suitable substitute then? @shroom would the membrane always be necessary or is it just because rockwool specifically is less absorbent?

Mods should split this thread @PeterHanes

1 Like

He’s saying the membrane is needed for a better rockwool bass trap, guess it’s not necessary for dealing with the higher frequencies. That UK supplier charges around £55 just for the postage for a 6m roll (the only option) costing another £55 :frowning:

I’m not far from Worthing. I’ll drive over there at some point in the next few weeks and pick up a roll of that membrane. I don’t need 6M so If anyone needs some of it, let me know.

@jb

Rockwool is not as effective as Owens Corning in the low frequencies but you definitely want the membrane in corners traps made from slabs of either of those materials to deal with the very low end, like 120hz and under.

There are other materials you can use to deal with low frequencies like activated carbon but the build of those traps is more complicated than just hanging a mat inside a frame.

@Nagualizer

What sort of rip off postage charge is that :confused: Amazon.co.uk has some weighted vinyl for sale as well. Join the prime membership to get cheap or even free postage then just cancel it after you’ve ordered, membership is free for 30 day’s.

2 Likes

Thanks! I already have Prime as I’m an Amazon addict. Being able to return stuff no questions asked and without having to eat the postage costs is pretty good.

1 Like

@Nagualizer

You’er most welcome, yes Prime is indeed very nice. Used it a few times ordering from U.s. to Iceland and it saved my ass one time as an item was damaged during shipping.

Sure, how much do you need? I think I’ll be OK with 3 meters. (Not installing one of those for the ceiling trap!)

1 Like

@Nagualizer

Yes I saw they had a 3 meter one available so I edited the comment :slight_smile:

But thanks for the offering to help it’s appreciated. I’d probably be around 3 meter too just for two corner bass traps.